Is the Official Hi-Res DLC necessary for STEP:Core to work?

FuzzRocket9

Question

Hello everyone, thank you for the guide, 2.2.9. I completed your guide twice this week. First time was a pain and intimidating, but the second time was a breeze and easy to follow through.

The first time I completed the STEP:Core guide I had nothing but Macrostutter as I left the starting area to head down to Riverwood, so I removed the 2 mods you mentioned, sadly I still got that hindering stutter all the way up to Riverwood and in the town was at its worst. At the time, I was hoping to find an expanded guide for removing the macrostutter. So with the little guidance in this area, I removed some more graphics mods and nothing changed. I thought my V-Ram was busted but I know it's just something that was eating up my 1k V-Ram.

I deleted everything and started fresh. This time I choose all the lower graphic options, except interiors, which I went for max since I was able to run around nicely without any issues. I got upset seeing that macrostutter, I thought it was my V-Ram at that time. I also skipped every exterior mod, I only kept the "Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized" with the lower end options. I then though what if I remove the DLC and that mod?? Hmmm.. I didn't think it would help, because I thought the Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized mod lowered the res enough to make no difference if I deleted the DLC. I tried it anyway, and behold all that Macrostutter was gone!! I was celebrating by making myself a pizza at 3am, unhealthy but oh well :')

With this change, I noticed a big change in the scenery, I can't tell what it was, but felt less detailed in some way. I'm gonna miss that DLC, but I hate macrostutter, and I was able to minimize it, but not to a point I could tolerate. I will accept the non-DLC version if nothing else affects. I was also thinking about enabling all the other hi-res mods, see if I can run those fine without the DLC.

TL;DR

I have a few questions. I need to know if I could disable the High Resolution Texture Pack, patch, and its Optimized mod companion without any issues from other mods. My next question is if I should download all the graphics mods I missed out on your guide to fill the empty feeling I got without the DLC. You mentioned that the "Skyrim Flora Overhaul" and "Skyrim Realistic Overhaul" can bring on the macrostutter. I will test those first. I'm hoping to add all the guide's graphics mods back for a nice difference without the macrostutter.

Thank you all. Was waiting patiently for Enderal, but thought I'd grab Skyrim for the modded experience.

Edited by FuzzRocket9

3 answers to this question

I'm back. Thanks for your reply phazer. I ran both the Flora and Realistic Overhaul first, and they were killing my framerate again and I also couldn't save as my game would freeze up and never recover, so I removed them. Now I ran the other graphics mods and the game is stable in Riverwood. Gonna grab the Carriages mods to quickly move to the other cities to look for macrostutter.

Next thing, if everything is good with the above, I want to get is the REG Pack. I love the description they gave and the mods look good. I can't wait for them to add more packs, I really want some more gameplay.

Also couldn't find a topic on follower mods. Any you guys recommend for Core? Also help with load order please :) I just want a mod for 5 followers to follow me on horseback and able to change outfits. Nothing more.

Sorry for the double post. I thought my old post didn't go through so I made another one bellow ><

Last question for sure. About scripts. Do they cause my game to lag if I install so many? They're mainly from Core and REGs. Maybe I'll add Deadly Dragons, I'll get the lore version.

Edited by FuzzRocket9