So hey guys, this is my first post woop wool.

I am having some problems and need some questions answered. First of all is .BSA one archive type? Is that why I can use the software more then one time? Is it like a folder just adding data every time? If so does MO extract all the textures from this archive in to some temp data map?

Now my biggest question is this correct?

Mo/mods/modname

No/mods/modname Opt/.bsa ?

So I take the entire folder and in the and I get 1 new file right?

In de MO left panel I get.

Mod

Mod opt

The opt mod only contains 1 .bsa file right? And how so I name this mod? Just anything? And files like dragon born.BSA do I need to give it the same name or any thing is fine? BTW I can't run the software on the DG Dlc. Is there any fix for this?

Thanks for your time,

James

A BSA is a proprietary archive file. The format was created by Bethesda softworks. If you optimize the textures from a BSA the result can be stored as loose files or in another archive file type (7zip, zip, or rar). Optimized folders or archives should only contain textures and we generally recommend not using a BSA to store optimized textures (They can be stored in a BSA, but only if the Archive.exe program from the Creation Kit is used to create this BSA). How did you create the optimized file or files?

Dragonborn.BSA contains multiple types of resources. When optimizing the textures from this BSA it is important that the resulting archive file or folder of optimized textures contain only textures. The other resources are used from the original Dragonborn.bsa.

Additional information that might help you is in the detailed instructions on the DLC pages on the wiki. Look at section 2.D of the STEP guide for pointers to these.

How I did it? Just following the guide first the .DDS then _n.DDS and _MSN.DSA on a second run. I use the MO BSA thing were it extract it automatic is this bad? I !mean in the guide it does not say to save as lose files or or archive extension.

Last question. When I run the software on DW valinna plus dlc I run it one time on .DDS. But for the HR dlc I run it 2 times. What about the other mods like falskaar? Do I run 1 time for the .DDS or 2 times for the .DDS and _n.DSS, _MSN.DDS ?

Instructions from SRLE install guide (spoiler), both Falskaar and Wyrmstooth require the following DDSOpt processing:

DDSOpt textures processing instructions:Run DDSOpt. *Note: Do NOT run this through Mod Organizer. DO run this as an Administrator.*Click the [browse] button near the top text-box and select the mod folder to optimize.Click the [browse] button near the bottom text-box and select /mods/ Optimized as the output directory.Check the "Show Recursive" box below the center text-box.Click the red [X] to deselect all files.In the center text box, type "*.dds" and then click [Apply].Click the green checkmark to select all filtered files.In the center text box, type "*_n.dds" and then click [Apply].Click the red [X] to deselect all files.In the center text box, type "*_msn.dds" and then click [Apply].Click the red [X] to deselect all files.Clear the center text box and click [Apply].In the "Constraints" tab, select the appropriate resolution limit (both compressed and uncompressed) to the setting instructed in the guide.Click the [Process] button in the bottom right corner.DDSOpt normal maps processing instructions:Run DDSOpt. *Note: Do NOT run this through Mod Organizer. DO run this as an Administrator.*Click the [browse] button near the top text-box and select the mod folder to optimize.Click the [browse] button near the bottom text-box and select /mods/ Optimized as the output directory.Check the "Show Recursive" box below the center text-box.Click the red [X] to deselect all files.In the center text box, type "*_n.dds" and then click [Apply].Click the green checkmark to select all filtered files.In the center text box, type "*_msn.dds" and then click [Apply].Click the green checkmark to select all filtered files.Clear the center text box and click [Apply].Open the "Constraints" tab and select the appropriate resolution limits specified in the guide.Click the [Process] button in the bottom right corner.After processing both textures and normals, do the following:Select "8192x8192" in the available drop downs for "Resolution Limit".Close DDSOpt.Right-click the Mod Organizer mod list and select "Refresh".Drag the newly created mod Optimized directly below the original mod and activate it.

Edited by Dragonhearted

The SR:LE guide says the optimized output goes to an output directory, not a BSA. For example Skyrim - Textures.bsa is optimized into the folder <Mod Organizer Path>/mods/Vanilla Optimized. "Vanilla Optimized" is a folder, not a BSA.

I'd just like to chime in and say that this was extremely helpful, Kelmych!  Like the creator of this topic, I too had completed the process incorrectly, extracting and optimizing everything into "out.bsa" files.

Neovalen; should happen to read this, you may wish to amend your DDSopt instructions to be a bit more clear and concise.  May I suggest something like the following?

1) Open the DDSopt tool.  *Note: DO NOT run this through Mod Organizer.  DO run this as an Administrator.*
2) In DDSopt click the [browse] button near the top text-box and select the "Skyrim - Textures.bsa" file in the SkyrimData folder.
3) Navigate to Mod Organizer's mod directory (for example: C:Program Files (x86)Mod OrganizerMods) and create a new folder named "Vanilla Optimized."
4) In DDSopt click the [browse] button near the bottom text-box and find the folder you just created.  Select it, clear the "File Name" text-box, then click [use Folder].  *Note: DO NOT forget to clear the "File Name" text-box.  DO NOT click [save].  Doing so will output the optimized files into a BSA file instead of loose files.  Your "Vanilla Optimized" folder should contain a folder named "Textures" with a bunch of sub-directories containing DDS files.  If you have a BSA, you did it wrong!)
5) Check the "Show Recursive" box below the center text-box.
6) Click the red [X] to deselect all files.
7) In the center text-box, type ".dds" and then click [Apply].
8) Click the green checkmark to select all filtered files.
9) Clear the center text-box and click [Apply].
10) Click the [Process] button in the bottom right corner and wait for the process to complete.
11) Verify in your "Vanilla Optimized" folder that you have only a folder named "Textures," containing sub-directories filled with DDS files.  You should NOT have a BSA.