Need help understanding MO 1.2.9

CovertSlinky

Question

Ok, started to begin my adventure with STEP 2.2.9. I saw that the warning shot for users of 1.2.1 (me) to not update MO, had been removed and are expected to utilize the most current MO. Well I did this, I used the update files to get from 1.2.1 to 1.2.9 (required two different archives). Got it to work, but MO 1.2.9 totally rearranged my load order, no problem just rearranged it. But I saw it now has 2 copies of all three of my DLC in the left pane. One set is being used and has the check mark next to it. The other set has no check mark, but has a line saying that it is a non-MO mod, the only thing I could think of is the fact that I have used DDSopt. I use NO bsa's, only loose files for everything. But I tried to just rearrange the order in the left pane their, re-do bashed patch, FNIS, and DSR patch. And skyrim CTD's at main menu immediately. So to make sure I wasn't having other issues, I went back to 1.2.1 and loaded skyrim and it worked like usual. So can anyone help me out here? I tried looking for some information on this and don't see any. I tried a search on the forums for anything relevant to this thread and didn't really see any. I really just need to understand what the 2 copies of the DLC are all about to begin with. This is my system https://wiki.step-project.com/User:CovertSlinky/SystemSpecs I also am using a partial STEP right now. BOSS load order of current modlist 

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
ApachiiHairMales.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
hdtHighHeel.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
SexLab.esm
SharedSeranaDialogue.esm
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
DragonShoutVoice.esp
ApachiiHelmetWigs.esp
Ars Metallica.esp
Ars Metallica - Dawnguard.esp
Ars Metallica - Hearthfire.esp
Ars Metallica - Dragonborn.esp
BLESSINGS - Altar Descriptions.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
DungeonQuestAwareness.esp
fFastTravelSpeedMult_4.esp
manny Lantern Caretakers.esp
More Salt Please.esp
More Salt Please - Dragonborn addon.esp
ORM-Arvak.esp
Point The Way.esp
ShootingStars.esp
NoxUE2.00.esp
SkyUI.esp
iHUD.esp
AlfheimKnights.esp
Dynasty Armor.esp
Elemental Staves.esp
Improved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.esp
Frostmourne.esp
Gunblade.esp
imp_helm.esp
imp_helm_imp.esp
imp_helm_dawn.esp
imp_help_dbrn.esp
Jojjos Warglaives.esp
Lich King's Armor.esp
NewmillerCeremonialRobesCBBE.esp
NewVampChainsCuirass.esp
Ring of Change.esp
Silverlight Armor.esp
ViceroyInquisitor.esp
Witch Battle Armor.esp
Draconic Bloodline.esp
TearofAbyss.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
Lock Overhaul.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
SkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.esp
Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux.esp
BetterQuestObjectives.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp
Default Teammate Weapon Draw Distance.esp
Distant DetailHF.esp
DiversePriests.esp
ImmersiveFP.esp
SexLab Romance.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
Convenient Horses - Unique Frost.esp
Soul Gems Differ - E.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-ThievesGuildRequirementsPatch.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
WeaponsArmorFixes_ambSkyforge_Patch.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-AMBSkyforgePatch.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
FNISspells.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp
Beards.esp
Brows.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
Ashley.esp
BabetteReplacer.esp
Marriable Serana.esp
Marriable Serana HF.esp
SpousesEnhanced.esp
SpousesEnhanced_Serana.esp
MBWS Lovely Girl Followers.esp
NonEssentialChildren.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-AFTPatch.esp
CharacterMakingExtender.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

Regards,
Slinky

7 answers to this question

Geez, I'm sorry I wanted to mark this as solved, but I still don't understand what MO is doing. I re-installed MO 1.2.9 fresh with the installer package. I have not installed or downloaded anything, the downloads and mods folder is empty. And MO keeps populating in the left pane three supposed mods, with the names of the three DLC's. The modlist file shows this:

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
*Dawnguard
*Dragonborn
*HearthFires
I can not delete those three lines as MO just re-writes them. I have no idea where it's finding these. Right now the only thing MO should be looking at is what is in my Data folder, which the bsa's for the DLC's are not even present atm. It won't let me do anything with them in the left pane, no right-click context menu, no doubling clicking them, nothing. What are they, where are they? If I go ahead and add the DDSopt files I have created, it still shows those as well.

Those represent the official DLC. Anything install directly to the Data folder will show without a checkbox and have the Non-MO as a category. The DDSopt files are the ones that should have a different name than the DLC. The left pane should look like this:

• Skyrim opted textures
  • Distant Decal Fix
  • USKP
  • Dawnguard
  • Dawguard opted textures
  • UDGP
  • Hearthfire
  • Hearthfire opted textures
  • UHFP
  • Dragonborn
  • DB opted textures
  • UDBP
  • HRDLC either the actual mod or opted textures
  • UHRP  tick the BSA in the Archives tab and don't tick the plugin to load it. Unless you unpacked it.

You should rename the optimized textures of your DLC if they have the same name as the DLC. Just OPT to the or something that lets you know they are the opted textures. The new install order lets you order the unofficial patches correctly so that files overwrite properly. Make sure the left pane looks like the 2.D Fixes section exactly as we have laid out. Loose or BSA does not matter as long as it is in the order we have listed. Optimized textures go between the DLC and the Unofficial Patch for that DLC.

Okay, now your load order is pretty bad because you lots of redundancy. You can't use Complete Crafting Overhaul and Ars Metallica. All those imp_helm plugins need to go because you have the ICH Legendary plugin instead. Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp CANNOT be ticked if you don't use the HRDLC plugins or you will crash. You are also missing quite a few patches. Go to the STEP Patches page and look at all the plugins listed that one of the STEP Patches replaces and maybe add those patches back in to your load order to get those mod to be compatible.

It kinda looks like you have a mix of STEP 2.2.8 and 2.2.9, so maybe consider going through the mods you have with an eye for detail.

Hey thanks for the info, appreciate it. I have been out of the loop here for a while, so I feel a little overwhelmed lol. I didn't even see that the unofficial hi-res was checked, I don't use it. Or didn't. But when I updated to 1.2.9 it changed so much of my order that I must have overlooked that. I realized after reviewing the new 2.2.9 STEP order, that I was probably going to have to re-do everything to be safe. But when I went up to 1.2.9 I first wanted to make sure everything was gonna work as before, just to see. And thanks for the advice about that load order, surprised I even got it to work after hearing what you have to say about it. I actually haven't even started installing anything from STEP 2.2.9 yet. But I do accept that I am having a bit of an id10t error :). One last thing on my mind, you say it doesn't matter about being loose or BSA, it was my understanding from the info I read about that on the STEP wiki (months ago),that loose and BSA should not mix together, and for best results you you should choose one or the other. I interpeted that loose was the preferred. So is this not the case anymore?

Hey thanks for the info, appreciate it. I have been out of the loop here for a while, so I feel a little overwhelmed lol. I didn't even see that the unofficial hi-res was checked, I don't use it. Or didn't. But when I updated to 1.2.9 it changed so much of my order that I must have overlooked that. I realized after reviewing the new 2.2.9 STEP order, that I was probably going to have to re-do everything to be safe. But when I went up to 1.2.9 I first wanted to make sure everything was gonna work as before, just to see. And thanks for the advice about that load order, surprised I even got it to work after hearing what you have to say about it. I actually haven't even started installing anything from STEP 2.2.9 yet. But I do accept that I am having a bit of an id10t error :). One last thing on my mind, you say it doesn't matter about being loose or BSA, it was my understanding from the info I read about that on the STEP wiki (months ago),that loose and BSA should not mix together, and for best results you you should choose one or the other. I interpeted that loose was the preferred. So is this not the case anymore?

MO allows files in BSAs to overwrite loose files as long as the install order is correct. We switch to a recommendation of BSAs over loose files because of the new file priority system of MO 1.2.9. You can still use a mix of BSAs and loose files, but BSAs are smaller on disk and performance is probably bit better, especially with a HDD.

Geez, I'm sorry I wanted to mark this as solved, but I still don't understand what MO is doing. I re-installed MO 1.2.9 fresh with the installer package. I have not installed or downloaded anything, the downloads and mods folder is empty. And MO keeps populating in the left pane three supposed mods, with the names of the three DLC's. The modlist file shows this:

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
*Dawnguard
*Dragonborn
*HearthFires
I can not delete those three lines as MO just re-writes them. I have no idea where it's finding these. Right now the only thing MO should be looking at is what is in my Data folder, which the bsa's for the DLC's are not even present atm. It won't let me do anything with them in the left pane, no right-click context menu, no doubling clicking them, nothing. What are they, where are they? If I go ahead and add the DDSopt files I have created, it still shows those as well.

Let me reiterate, I see in the MO wiki where it says to move the non-MO mods DLC into a particular order(other than it doesn't state where in the order they should be or if it matters, i.e very top or very bottom etc). But why is this necessary for MO to produce?
Edited by CovertSlinky

Okay, now I see, it's just a reflection of the data folder relevant to the game, in this case the DLC is there. So from looking at your description of the left pane, I see how the load order needs to be. Thank you, I don't understand the purpose of it fully but I all I need to know as far I am concerned is how it needs to look so it works. But you have provided me with the information I required, thanks again, marking as solved.

Regards,

Slinky