Reverted back to 1.1.2 and now SKSE, BOSS, etc. won't run from MO

peppergomez

Question

I reverted from 1.2.6 back to 1.1.2 as per STEP instructions. Installed MO into the same folder location.

Now I cannot open any of the programs like SKSE, BOSS, BUM, etc. from MO. I have verified that the file paths in the Binary fields are correct.

I will try a reboot, but in the meantime, does anyone know if there's more I need to do?

Edited by peppergomez

Ok so I've been thinking about this for a bit. 1. Is it necessary to put all bsa-using mods, (like Falskaar, for example,) at the top of the load order? (assuming you left the bsa packed). What about Steam mods? 2. Or is it just necessary to put the official dlc and unofficial patches there? 2. What if Falskaar's at Priority 200? All this time I've been assuming the Priority column was the last word on what got loaded over other mods. Is that not the case, now?

To give you precise answers: 1. No 2. Yes - in fact, not strictly necessary even to do that; refer to previous post 3. Irrelevant, only Non-MO mods are affected, and they only disobey priority when compared to loose file mods that are before them in the priority order.   Hence if you put the Non-MO mods, interspersed with their Unofficial components, right at the top of the priority list, then you can just forget about the issue - you are working around it by putting your priority list in an order where the bug is irrelevant.And regardless of where you put them, mods that are after them in the priority list are not affected, nor are BSA mods that are before them. Just the combination of "mod contains loose files" and "is before a Non-MO mod" is an issue in terms of priority not being as you expect. Edited by TheBloke
  • +1 1

Thanks very much! I appreciate your spelling this all out for me in detail. At first I thought I'd wait, but after playing around with 1.2.6, I don't want to go back to the older model. Tannin's made some great improvements here.

What with the weirdness in 1.2.6 of MO, do I want to install the BSA or the loose version the Thundering Shout mod? STEP calls for loose: "Use only the optional loose files version."

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3799/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D3799&pUp=1

Edited by peppergomez

Thanks very much! I appreciate your spelling this all out for me in detail. At first I thought I'd wait, but after playing around with 1.2.6, I don't want to go back to the older model. Tannin's made some great improvements here.

You're welcome! And yes, 1.2.6 compared to 1.1.2 is a huge upgrade. I've been using beta 1.2.1 since I came back to Skyrim modding in May, so I can barely even remember what 1.1.2 was like. But I know there was a massive performance improvement in 1.1.2 -> 1.2.1, as well as the addition of the very useful log window, and the fixing of a couple of annoying bugs (like if you re-ordered the Downloads pane, 1.1.2 would screw up.)

Then 1.2.1 -> 1.2.6 has the major addition of the Non-MO mods, plus better filtering (choosable and/or, and more filtering options), the addition of the 'number of problems' badge on the 'warning' icon, optional 'automatic fix' button for ordering of mods-with-scripts, and loads more I'm forgetting.

So yeah, wild horses would need to drag me back to 1.1.2 now :)

Glad it's working out for you!

What with the weirdness in 1.2.6 of MO, do I want to install the BSA or the loose version the Thundering Shout mod? STEP calls for loose: "Use only the optional loose files version."

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3799/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D3799&pUp=1

Doesn't matter which you get. That mod will be way after the Non-MO mods in your priority order (i.e., its Priority number is going to be much higher than the last of the Non-MO mods), so whether it's BSA or Loose is irrelevant. The outstanding bug in MO 1.2.6 affects on Non-MO mods, and their ability to overwrite Loose mods which are before them in the priority order.

You won't be putting Thundering Shouts with a lower priority number than your Non-MO mods - in fact, it's going to be one of the highest priority mods in your setup, according to the STEP ordering (whereas the Non-MO + Unofficial Patches mods will be the very lowest, or nearly the very lowest.)

Although it doesn't matter, for the purposes of 1.2.6, which you choose, you may want to choose the BSA version of Thundering Shouts, simply because from STEP 2.2.9 onwards, using BSAs will be the standard practice. Or at least, STEP 2.2.9 onwards will no longer have the user extract any BSA. I therefore assume that when there's a choice of BSA or Loose download, as with Thundering Shouts, it will also recommend to download the BSA (except in the occasional case where per-asset conflict management is desired, which is not the case for Thundering Shouts.)

So if it were me, I'd get the BSA version - if for no other reason than it would prevent me having to potentially re-install it when STEP 2.2.9 changes its practices regarding BSAs.

Edited by TheBloke

Hey folks,

I have finished installing the necessary mods for core STEP and am now at this stage:

3.A. Post-Installation Housekeeping 3.A.1. Sort Plugins Using BOSS

Am I good to follow the instructions down to the letter on the STEP page, or do I need to make any tweaks to anything, either due to MO or any other changes?  (I just read that 1.2.7 is out, so I am going to install it now)