Picking and choosing ENB tweaks

bitdman

Question

There is one specific area or element of ENB's I would like to be able to adjust. That is the brightness of all things that are 'white' or reflect 'sunlight. Items such as

1-Snow. What do I need to tweak to not only change the intensity of the brightness but also the shade of white.

2- plants and Terrain like  dead tree limbs and shinny bark. I don't know if these are bright white spots because of light reflecting off of them or a texture problem or the fact that they may have snow on them.

How do I reduce white with out changing brightness or make shadows not so black wthout changing gamma which if I'm not mistaken is a degree of 'black to white' adjustment

I have used Imaginator to adjust to a small extent but making large changes to Imaginator I think messes up interior settings. I would like to be able to make seperate changes to exterior without changing interior. And I also don't wish to become an expert at ENB settings just to make a few small adjustments????

3 answers to this question

Snow brightness and other bright objects is a sticky wicket when it comes to adjusting in the ENB...not for the faint of heart because they are all interrelated. You could get snow "exactly" right and then discover that Glowing Mushrooms are way off in brightness, or candles are too dim, etc.

Imaginator makes it seem simple because it is essentially a blanket adjustment that lies on top of everything...which can also lead to some mal-adjustments on a broad scale.

The easiest thing to do, unless you are a enb author/guru is establish a good baseline by choosing an ENB that fits your taste so any adjustments/tweaks can be kept smallish in nature.

Posted Image

From WolfGrimDark:

A sure fix for snow is to lower bloom for the time of day it is too intense and raising the blue-shift bloom value. Like at night changing bloom to 65 and raising blue-shift to 50 will remove most of the glow. Course then you kill lighting in other areas.

That being said it is pretty easy to lower the intensity if it bothers you. Open up enbseries.ini file and go to the [bLOOM] section. There are two settings that control bloom brightness at night you can tweak.

[bLOOM]
AmountNight=0.8 // -> Raising this will increase overall brightness of bloom at night. Lower to darken.
BlueShiftAmountNight=0.2 // -> this is the one that really causes the "glowing" effect in many places. Try 0.4 to remove it

Play around with the above. I am not sure how much this will affect the grass (as there are other issues involved) but it will help out with roads, wood, and even snow. I prefer it lower myself, around .11 to .15, but it distorts to many other things so I found .2 to be the right balance for the effect. I want nights to be like a walk in an enchanted forest with bright mists and lots of glowing effects Posted Image

1. Tonemapping 

2. Use textures without strong specular effects. And again tonemapping.... 

3. Tonemapping and/or skylighting. 

There are not really any tweaks in enbseries.ini which control this, it is all post processing parameters.. especially the tonemapping which control it. Depending on which preset you are using then there are different ways of doing this. 

I suspected it may not be so simple. Thanks for the info, this gives me a place to start tweaking around without making to big of a mess.

PS

Aiyen, I haven't seen anything unusual with Skylight so far. It's still the ENB that comes the closest to what I like and works well at matching the exteriors to interiors using the recommend interior lighting mods. Keep up the good work.