Transfer MO mods & settings to different PC?

hypercleats

Question

Now that I've done the complete S.T.E.P. Extended setup through MO (and tested it extensively in game), is there an easy way to transfer all this to another PC with Skyrim installed? I would prefer to start with a fresh install of Skyrim on my husband's PC and then install MO -- with all the mods and scripts and ini configs and load order and profiles, etc. Can I just copy my ..skyrimModOrganizer folder over to install MO with all these mods/settings? Are there other places where settings for MO are stored (i.e., AppData)?

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

As long as you got the mods folder and the profiles folder with you then you can load up the profile you created with all mods ready to go. 

You need to run the game to generate ini files before starting the game though MO first though.... if I recall correctly, have been quite some time since I had to do a reinstall. 

I routinely archive my base MO directory after I am finished with installing mods. I do a lot of testing for the forums and extract it to a different folder to do the testing. Just remember that ModOrganizer.ini in the MO folder will have information from the old machine so the tools, third party ones, and paths to them will be different if installed.

If you delete ModOrganizer.ini on the new machine MO will create a new one for you. This will be like installing MO for the first time. You will then have to set up any third party tools.

Good thing this thread already exists, I was just about to open a new one with the same topic.

Has anyone tested the procedure already in the meantime?

A friend of mine and my brother both have Skyrim but both are a bit afraid of mods as they think using them is pretty complicated and prone to making the game instable (and they're right). Now, I'm finally short before achieving a perfectly modded (STEP Extended, VEGA Core, REGS, other mods, 257 esps) and perfectly stable Skyrim with not a single CTD or freeze in almost 100 hours of playing. I've one final issue to solve (see https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7431-step-extended-vega-core-regs-more-skyrim-stopped-working-in-whiterun-around-whiterun-and-in-riften/) but as soon as I've done that, I'd like to do the following:

- reinstalling Skyrim on their systems

- setting it up exactly like described in the STEP guide respectively on my machine

- installing all the tools needed (MO, SKSE,...)

- zipping my entire Skyim folder (46GB) including my MO and everything

- extracting and overwriting their new Skyrim folders

- change the paths in my MO.ini to their install path

- enjoy watching them play an entirely new Skyrim they don't know

Unfortunately I've got no second machine comparable to mine where I could test the procedure before ruining something on their current, slightly modded (some textures and SkyRe) systems. They both have nVidia cards (GTX 780 & GTX 780 Ti), I got one too (GTX 680 4GB), so settings shouldn't be any problem. But at home all I got left is another machine with an old triple core AMD CPU and an AMD HD5770, I can't imagine my setup would be running there as my VRAM usage is usually at 2-3 GB.

So what's your experiences?

@Aiyen said it best, as long as the 'mods' and 'profiles' folders are preserved you should have no problems.

Set up the other machines as you would normally, install MO on each and ensure MO starts Skyrim with no difficulties.

Copy across the folders from your machine, and possibly the 'downloads' folder if you think they will be making changes to that setup, and select the profile name in their drop down list.

The mods for that profile should become selected and all the plugins as well and the game should run exactly the same as yours, assuming of course any ENB presets are also cared for.

• +1 1

Just did this myself. I came across this thread while looking for tips and such, and it looks like, indeed, all you have to do is copy over the files and load your profile. I've spent a grand total of 10 minutes in an old save with what looks to be all my mods copied over. Thanks for bumping this, and thanks for the info, all.

That said, I'm a bungler at best, and probably have at least two full extra copies of my skyrim folder floating around between my old and new pc, and I'm almost positive I've copied my mo folder into 3 different places. Easier than finding and re-dl'ing all the mods and reinstalling them, one by one, though, by far.