Relocating Mod Organizer from program files to Skyrim directory

shniggysaurus

Question

Hi all. Thanks for this awesome project you have put together. I'm new to Step and installing for the first time. Following the instructions, and I get to the MO section and install the prerequisites and then MO but I didn't see that I needed to install it to the Skyrim directory so it is in the program files directory. I moved on with the steps and finished ini and graphic settings and started part two to find out I supposed to install in the Skyrim directory. I'm not familiar with the file structure of the program and I don't want to mess anything up.

My question is how move MO to the right place. Can I simply copy it all over our do I need to reinstall?

Thanks for the help!

5 answers to this question

Its best NOT to install MO in the Program Files directory because of windows UAC issues. MO is portable. You can just move the MO directory to another directory, you don't need to reinstall it. Please have a look at the MO wiki, it contains fast amount of info. In the resources tab of it you can find 5+ videos about MO, very useful. You can install every mod with MO as long as it is placed inside the /data directory. Exceptions are SKSE which also installs files in the directory as well as the /data directory. STEP explains how you can install the /data part of it with MO. To better understand MO you need to know what the virtual filing system (which performs the magic of MO) does, its explained here. Welcome to MO....

In principle all should be relative to the MO directory, no need to change any settings unless you have changed the directories yourself. You can also rename the directory. At least this was so in the past, perhaps something has changed. Perhaps you could install a new MO and experiment a bit. This would be useful. In the modorganizer.ini file you can find the directories. Its possible they are not there unless you change the directories in MO. Unfortunately I don't have time to check things myself. it Kingsday tomorrow in the Netherlands which means this evening is party time...........