Alduin Edge Shimmer

joshkes

Question

First, I would like to appoligise if this has been answered somewhere before. I tried searching this site and Google, but couldn't find a suitable answer.

I just finished installing STEP Extended. Everything seems to be working, at least up until the end of the opennig cart ride, except for one minor issue. The "Alduin on the Rock" statue during the inital load screen has sparkly shimmering edges. I haven't run into it yet in actual game play, but, as I said, I've only gone as far as the cart ride. I figured if it's showing up on the load screen, it's likely going to show up somewhere else, either as Twilight-style dragons or sparkly clutter. I'm sure this has something to do with anti-aliasing or some such thing, I just have no idea what. I have all of my ini and graphics card settings set exactly as listed in the STEP guide, so, surely someone else has had this problem.

Thanks again for all of your help.

EDIT:

On a second play of the cart ride, the cart was in the air and spinning wildly and I had virtually no control over my characters head. A quick google search and I found that a potental cause was the "timescale" tweak in the Bash Patch. I set it back to 20 and went for a 3rd play of the cart ride.

This time, the cart ride went smoothly, however, I noticed that not only was Alduin shiny, but the chain part of the cart driver's armor was also shiny, so, it's not just Alduin.

8 answers to this question

Awesome. Thanks. I'll try that. I have it all set to "Ultra" through the launcher as that's what the STEP guide said to do. Other than the few changes it said to make with the Nvidia tool. I might have some room to turn stuff up a bit. The benchmark I did just before the last step of installing STEP averaged a little over 50 fps according to the log, but it almost always said 60 on the screen. I think the lowest it dipped to was in the mid-40s. It also says I never go over 2GB of my 3GB of VRAM and my GPU never goes over 70% load. I am willing to take a minor FPS hit if it fixes the shimmer.

Thanks again.

If I just adjust the settings through the launcher (opened through MO), it doesn't fix the shimmer, and, it puts me back in the flying, bouncing, spinning cart. I don't really know much about the Nvidia tool other than what it said to do in the STEP guide. What settings should I be adjusting there?

PS. Turning the Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering down just a notch seems to fix the flying cart but has no effect on the shimmer. Setting all launcher settings to the Ultra default and setting all of the STEP adjusted settings on my video card to "Application Controlled" fixes the cart also but I still have shimmering.

Yeah. I've tried it on clamp and allow. It was on Clamp when I first saw the problem. I had tried to install Skyrim following the RealVision ENB guide on Mod Nexus. It looked amazing. I averaged around 30 FPS, but, it would "stutter" quite often. There would be a half-second or so that the game would just freeze. It usually seemed to happen when I was out wandering the country-side or when a random enemy would run out of the woods. Not only would it freeze, but, I would see the FPS drop to almost nothing at the same time. Usually when it would happen, it would do it a few times over the course of a few seconds, then it would run fine for 2 or 3 minutes. I decided it was unbearable and went looking for a more stable way to install Skyrim. I found this STEP thing and thought I would give it a try. STEP extended runs at 60 FPS, but, some items and armors and such have this "Shimmer" thing. I never saw it under the RealVision install. I have now 7zipped my STEP install as a backup, and I am reinstalling everything, but trying to find some middle ground between RealVision and STEP. If I could get 40-50 FPS with no stutter and no shimmer, I would be in heaven. Funny thing is, I haven't played Skyrim on my PC. I played straight through the main story line on my PS3 and then put it down. I played Oblivion on Xbox till my fingers bled and my children forgot my name. About a year ago, I built this awesome computer, and have played nothing on it but old DOS and NES games. My wife started playing Fallout New Vegas and we noticed you could get mods for it. I said, "You know what, I'm going to get Skyrim for this thing and play it in depth the way I did Oblivion. I'm going to do it in a way that tests what this computer can handle, too!" That was 2 weeks ago. I've been trying to install a stable, HD, modded version of Skyrim since...

This might be unrelated to your OP's problem, but I'm finding that after following most of the STEP, err, steps...the Alduin on the loading screen (plus the wall) have disappeared completely. All that remain are the fog and two red eyes. I, too, have Googled the problem but this was the closest I've come to finding anything related to my particular problem. Can you guys help me with this? What did I fudge up?

Thanks in advance!