Monitor doesn't acknowlege computer

Crimson13

This is a computer problem. I'm hoping that this is the right place for it, I didn't see a general computer troubleshooting section so...

So I'm working on my dad's computer because my half-brother screwed it all up. When I tried to fix it the internet wasn't working so I couldn't do everything I wanted to clean it out. So I brought it down where it could get a ethernet cord and suddenly the monitor doesn't recognize that that it's hooked to the computer.

So I bring it back to my place and a different monitor also says that's it's not connected. Does anyone know why it's doing this?

Glad problem is solved, but:

When you ask for help with such problem next time, you should at least tell:

1) manufacturer and exact model of your display

2) manufacturer and exact model of your video card

3) which interface do you use to connect it (DVI, D-Sub, HDMI, DisplayPort, whether you use any adapters (like DVI->DisplayPort or DVI->D-Sub))

4) If the monitor is showing an error message (you told that it says it's not connected) you should type the exact message you receive, or even take a photo and post it

The very basic troubleshooting you could have done yourself:

1) Somewhere in the monitor settings, find Factory Reset option and use it

2) Monitors usually have signal source configuration somewhere in their settings. Default option usually is automatic detection - you could have tried to override it and set exact port you use manually.