Moving Skyrim folder form C: to D:

sonnhy96

Question

Hi all,

For space reasons i've to move Skyrim from my SSD to HDD, so it comes the problem that i have to move my whole Skyrim installation from C: to D:, a grand total of 25.6GB, which include Skyrim files, Mods installed..

What do i have to do? Can anyone help? I think I'll have problem with Mod Manager links, will I?

7 answers to this question

First, make a backup copy of the Skyrim folder on the SSD somewhere on the HDD so you don't lose it. You might want to make use of the Steam capability that supports having Steam and games in multiple locations on a system; of course, each individual game can only be in one place. You don't have to uninstall Steam in the first location before adding it at another location. Details are on the web on the Steam site and some forums. When this is done there are several ways to get the game running in the new location. Web searches usually provide pointers to some useful descriptions of how to do it. Some of them describe how to move the game from one computer to another; the process for that is similar to what you need to do.

In the past I have copied my games to another drive and uninstalled them from the original location. I then reinstalled them to where I had the copy. Steam evaluated the new location and did an install, which was short as the files were there. It only updated what it needed. I think the DX stuff will run again, I can't remember. Make sure you back up any save game information.

Thank you everyone, but I've alredy got it working..

I was like, "there's no way I can do this".. But I had to do that so I just grabbed the entire folder and move to D:

How hilarious was.. I mean, MO is really flexible..

I tell you, when I opened up Mod Organizer, a message appeared "blahblahblah there's no skyrim folder anymore blahblahblah" so it lets me pick the new one and boom, there're still the Profiles..

Then I went to the option and change the Mod directory to the new one and boom, now i got back the Mods.. Last but not least i went to the latest save and clicked on Fix Mods and boom, all the mods I had before back activated..

Just to be sure i replace every old path with the new path in the Windows Registry and even Steam and BOSS are working correctly now..

Well I never ever thought it could be so easy :)

EDIT: I also had to re-activate those mod that had no esp, like texture and models, and re-order the Conflicted mod.. it took me a bunch of minute..

You also need to backup the ini files for Skyrim since they will be overwritten when you restart the game in the new location. You need to let it do this so Skyrim puts the new program location in the registry. Additional changes are typically needed depending on which mod manager you are using. I don't remember whether any files in the folder with the mod plugin order file are also overwritten; backing the folder up is also a good idea.