static objects receive glowing edge/surface when struck with enchanted arrow

exploiteddna

Question

As the title says, static objects (smelter, door, bridge, stone base of the forge) in my game are currently receiving glowing edges/surfaces when struck with an arrow shot from enchanted bow. (enchanted with absorb health, frost damage, shock damage, and soul trap .. obviously ive added extra effect slots). It's not all objects though.. the ones i listed are all that i've noticed so far. If i shoot at a wall, no glowing (as it should be)

The glow is always a blue/purple color, and is visually similar to the glow that some enchanted armor/clothing/armor has.  The blue/purple color of the glow could either be from soultrap, shock, or maybe frost damage, but its definitely not from the absorb health enchantment.

Ive opened up my entire load order to see what's going on. Ive looked at all of the Object Effect records/overwrites to see if anything is out of place. Nothing that I can see. Basically the only mod I use that edits these records is empowered magic. So, for the sake of time, i just disabled all EM plugins to see if that made it stop, but can still reproduce the issue with it disabled. 

Aside from the object effect records, I have skimmed through all of the magic effect records, but dont see anything there. I will basically keep looking through all of my plugins and hopefully something will jump out at me. 

I am posting this because, unlike many other errors, this is one that i wouldnt even know how to "make" on my own. If someone said, "hey can you make a mod so that (some) objects will glow when hit them with an arrow from an enchanted bow" I would have no idea where to go to start trying to make something like that. Because of this, i dont really know where, or what type of records i should be looking at.

Does anyone have any ideas, or has anyone seen something like this before?

GLOWING DOOR

Posted Image

BRIDGE - NO GLOWING

Posted Image

BRIDGE - GLOWING AFTER HIT WITH ARROW (glowing is hard to see here, but its there)

Posted Image

12 answers to this question

ok cool guys, thanks for the replies.

ironically, i found a few conflicts between Audio Overhaul Skyrim and a few of my other plugins. I guess ive been so busy making patches for other people i have failed to patch up my own game lol. Disappointingly, however, the issue persists, even after patching a few of the impact records. I also tried disabling AOS altogether to see if it is any way related to this issue, but it doesn't appear to be.

I will keep poking away at it and see if i can make any progress.

EDIT:

@ Aiyen - you think this could be some mesh errors? that kind of makes sense actually. it could explain why this is only seen on some statics and not others. im going to diable brumbek's meshes and see if that helps

glowingobject03.jpg

ok well, disabling my smim meshes didnt do anything (no offense to brumbek for questioning his work-but was just thinking maybe the recent update was to blame :) )
anyways, this is the same bridge, shot from a different angle. The wooden hand railing next to it does not glow when hit with enchantment.. so..
the other thing is, aiyen got me thinking about the type of objects that are glowing, and it seems to be "complex" meshes .. things like smelter/forge/moving bridge are all complex meshes, i.e. they arent just a simple compilation of NiTriShapes. This observation is probably useless, but curious

Have to be careful this is how the game makes a "magically sealed door" as well in various dungeons. I believe it is intended to be able to have effects played on it (just not those effects).

yes youre right, like in that haunted dungeon in ivarstead
hmmm..

Well, the "good news" is that the effect still occurs with only vanilla plugins + unofficial patches + skse

its good news because at least its not something I did myself lol. i guess now i'll just open each of the individual meshes and take a look around, and compare to a similar mesh that doesn't glow, maybe theres some flag or something that i can add/remove. who knows...

Hard to say if it is a mesh error.... I am thinking it just have some wrong flags enabled. Perhaps these are required perhaps not... only way to tell is by altering the mesh and trying it out! :)

The meshes I am looking at currently are ones that have an emmitance value enabled which makes them stand out silly since that glow is only optimized for vanilla image spaces... getting kinda annoying now.

Hard to say if it is a mesh error.... I am thinking it just have some wrong flags enabled. Perhaps these are required perhaps not... only way to tell is by altering the mesh and trying it out! :)

The meshes I am looking at currently are ones that have an emmitance value enabled which makes them stand out silly since that glow is only optimized for vanilla image spaces... getting kinda annoying now.

yeah thats kind of what i have been thinking. I may do some trial and error with my "glowing" meshes

what are you planning to do with the 'fix' you're making?

Perhaps put it into a larger pack... since I cannot find anybody else who have done something similar. But will have too see. First and foremost then my fixes are just for my game and a few people who I know would benefit from them (IE they use my ENB so I know how their game looks!)! :)

Perhaps put it into a larger pack... since I cannot find anybody else who have done something similar. But will have too see. First and foremost then my fixes are just for my game and a few people who I know would benefit from them (IE they use my ENB so I know how their game looks!)! :)

good deal. well, maybe when you're done, i can perhaps convince you to send 'em my way for a little bit of testing :D

i could even download you enb :P  (didnt know you had one, in all honesty.. been stuck on PNENB for a long time now)

Its not the one that is currently uploaded... Only roots has the latest since phazer is currently busy with his school stuff! :)

Its in beta. :)

But everything I make I make with it in mind. But sure once I have something I will throw it your way... if you remind me >_>