I give up

Copywrite85

Question

Hey guys.  I've been a member of this site for months now and a number of you have been extremely helpful.  I am sure you can click my name and see my past posts to get a sense of the issues I have been struggling with.  Ultimately I cannot get my game stable, something always ruins it in the end; I have tried for a quarter of a year now.  Anyways I clearly am incapable of achieving the great stable game a number of you guys are enjoying.  Right now I think the only course of action I have left is to state desired mods and request load order examples from you guys that I can try to copy; this will be the guideline for my last attempt (serious this time) at modding Skyrim.  

-Skyre 

-Asis

-Immersive Patrols

-Skytest (light or full whatever works)

-Cloaks

-Winter is coming

-Wet and cold

-automatic variants

-Immersive weapons and armour

-High level enemies

-Immersive creatures

-Dragon combat overhaul

Yes I have read Irohas Asis and Skyre guide; while I did achieve stable combat at one point I would randomly freeze in the environment anyway (more freezes/ctds than 1 can be comfortable with).    I have a VERY powerful PC, I have achieved script latecy of under 50, my system memory and video memory remain at very safe levels, this past week I have gone on a massive mod purging (currently under 160 with half of my esps being patches); doesn't matter Skyrim crashes and freezes consistenly.  If any of you have builds accommodating a number of my favorite mods It would be a great help if you would just post your mod list and maybe give a little explanation.

Thanks guys

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you use coc the game defaults you with a full set of iron armor and weapons etc. If you start a new game through helgen then you should start out entirely clean in rags.

Lol, I didn't though I had a helmet on my head and gear.  I selected new game without alternate start live another life.  I think you hit the nail on the head when you said run without Alternate Start Aiyen.  That and the dragon mod must have been running havok on my other gameplay mods.

I have also experienced the bug where my character had iron gear equipped with a regular helgen start as well. So far, I've not been able to figure out what causes this, but I've read different claims that one mod or another causes this problem. Unfortunately, none of the comments I've read have been consistent (some claim ACE, some say Balanced Magic, etc). I've also had people comment and tell me that my Stealth Skills Rebalanced mod was causing it (sometimes on it's own and sometimes when used in conjunction with another mod). Since you're not using any of these mods, it must be something else causing it in your game, or just some weird combination. I've tested a bunch of different mods in my load order that I suspected might be involved, but I haven't been able to pin it down. If you do figure out the cause, please post.

Also, in looking at your mod list, it appears that you're using both AMB Glass Variants Lore (40) and Glass Variants (47). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you only need one of these files.

I hope the best so you can get playing! Its nice to have a success story to tell down the line! And the more stable build lists we can gather the better we can help others in the future!

Yes Mod lists was kind of the aim of this thread; I was hoping Iroha would be so kind.  Asis and Skyre, Skytest, Immersive creatures are ESSENTIAL...its how Skyrim was meant to be played, period.  Some examples of successful deviations from Neovalens preferences would do everyone allot of good.

I have also experienced the bug where my character had iron gear equipped with a regular helgen start as well. So far, I've not been able to figure out what causes this, but I've read different claims that one mod or another causes this problem. Unfortunately, none of the comments I've read have been consistent (some claim ACE, some say Balanced Magic, etc). I've also had people comment and tell me that my Stealth Skills Rebalanced mod was causing it (sometimes on it's own and sometimes when used in conjunction with another mod). Since you're not using any of these mods, it must be something else causing it in your game, or just some weird combination. I've tested a bunch of different mods in my load order that I suspected might be involved, but I haven't been able to pin it down. If you do figure out the cause, please post.

Also, in looking at your mod list, it appears that you're using both AMB Glass Variants Lore (40) and Glass Variants (47). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you only need one of these files.

Hmm double esps are bad news...I'll look into it; gracias.

On a side note.  If anyone has a really hard time getting AV to run through MO I found this really useful post.  Here.

"From the sounds, you are experiencing common AV problems. To troubleshoot, try these things, which I have found through my experience using AV through MO:

Problem: AV is failing due to missing files.

Probable Cause: AV removes texture files from the AV packages installed into MO when patching.

General Solution:

1. Reinstall all your AV Packages.

2. Delete any logs/setting of AV from Overwrite (located at SkyProc Patchers/Automatic Variants).

3. Delete any AV textures from Overwrite (located at textures/AV Packages).

4. After this has been done, all your AV settings shall have been reset (there may be a way to do this that doesn't reset your texture selections, but I haven't experimented with this yet). Run AV, select your preferences as normal, and patch. It should work now.

Problem: AV failing due to esps sorted incorrectly (throws an error saying something akin to missing master).

Probable Cause: You have an esp in your load order which requires a master which currently is lower in your load order than the esp requiring the master.

General Solution:

1. Place the esp in the correct spot (below the master file it requires).

2. Run SUM (install it if you don't have it).

3. Change SUM settings so that BOSS doesn't run.

4. Run AV through SUM and patch as normal.

OR

1. Use BUM and add the esp into the correct spot (or use the userlist rule manager in BOSS GUI).

2. Run AV as normal and patch should process correctly."

As for the first part it can be summed up into this.

If AV is acting up with missing textures... copy all the texture folders from the overwrite folder back into its mods folder.. the json files are still there. Then rerun. This will assign new formid´s etc. so they show ingame once again!

The second part can be summed up to. Run WB and rebuild the bashed patch.. its is almost always the cause otherwise it will tell you what the cause is.

This is all just assuming that you have a fairly stable list without much going in and out ofc.

About the iron start out.... never experienced it in starting a new game. But guess its some bad initialization of some mods.

Also tbh.. I do not see why ASIS is an essential must have. Its extra spawn feature is highly unstable, and entirely ruin immersion most of the time. The one with assigning new perks etc. is hardly noticeable on your build anyways, and also tends to cause issues. As I recall there is another mod that allows NPC´s to use potions so you do not need that feature in ASIS either. In geneal ASIS was a good idea way back, but it requires a serious update. But that is just my opinion about it.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in the frustration of trying to mod skyrim. I played through 2-3 times with just Steam Workshop, Nexus Mod Manager and the DLC's without any problems. I had never heard about BOSS, ENB's, Papyrus or whatever a Bashed Patch was. It just worked. I had some mods like Towns & Villages, Lanterns of Skyrim, and my girls walked around in skimpy armor. And it worked. I dropped in a few texture mods like Skyrim HD & SMIMM with the Bethesda Hi-Res textures. Still worked. Got some weapon & armour mods. i added mods, played, updated mods, removed mods. I never bothered with uninstalling instructions or clean saves. I had no idea i was supposed to. And it worked. I played & played. Then in April I installed Helgen Reborn & things started freezing & crashing. (Not this mods fault I know, we all know why it stopped being stable).

So I decided to get serious and do it right. It's now mid-September & I have played exactly 0 hours other than testing & crashing. I have learned TesEdit (mostly), I've DDSopt every texture from vanilla to texture packs to character mods a half dozen times. I've bashed, merged, made compatibility patches, modified load orders, install orders, you name it. I've used STEP which does work extremely well.

(But while every Argonian needs to have his head chopped off correctly & Jarls need to dress properly, its more important to me to know that if i swim in arctic seas in a pushup daedric bra i will die of exposure.)

I want Frostfall & Skyrim Redone. i need Cerwiden & Vilija. I want elves that look like elves. I want my swords and shields to hang on my back. So i tried Skyrim Revisited: Legendary (all versions since its not complete) I have mastered ENB's with Boris's new system. I've followed every guide, every advice from all the wonderful people here. And it's not bad advice. Apparently your frustrated to.

But I still can't play. So I'm going back to Nexus Mod Manager & using what I learned I'll back off on the texture overhauls & HD armors and people mods & maybe I can actually get back to playing.

I have 2 followers, have cleared a few dungeons, fought another dragon, joined college of winterhold and imperial army; no crash yet.  Even if I do crash itll probably fall into the acceptible 'it's skyrim @#*! happens' category.  Sense of dread when in the wilds dissipating.

Hey dudes. Lvl 12 still no crash. Ran from winterhold to dawnstar with no issues; got in some sweet fights too. There was massive pack of wolves attacking a massive pack of horkers; Jzargo Belrand and I broke it up (by killing all of them). We also got in the middle of a storm cloak vs goblin patrol...epic fun.

Two mods I'm thinking of re enabling:

Improved horse step sounds

Clanking armour

Three mods I'm thinking of trying out:

Ethereal elven overhaul

Interesting npcs

Armorizer

Mods I want info about:

expansion mods like falksaar and wyrmstooth...are they more trouble than their worth? Do they work with your current mod list.

I have ofcourse made a MO preset called stable for my current config.

Cheers :D

I personally hate improved horse step sounds with a fierce vengence.... it just sounds too loud and annoying.

Clanking armor I like and have played with it since day 1. I think it fits to most of the heavy armors without going overboard.

EEO I only use the textures as replacers, I do not use the .esp etc. since I do not think it is is required.

Interresting NPC´s... might be trouble, might not be. Have not tried it since I am technically happy enough with the NPCs as they are, and would rather have other things.

Armorizer have not tried or head much about it yet. Looking forward to seeing what you find out.

As for the big mods.. they happen outside of skyrim and hence should be mostly stable, most major mods have patches for them. The only real issues I have taken note of is follower mods, but that is too be expected.

And finally nice to hear its all going so well now! I am personally trying to get over my spell freeze issue. I removed a few more script mods, and reduced the decal sizes back down to 512 max, and blood down to 1k. So far it seems to have done the trick. While there is a bit of a quality loss, then its more vital to have stability then a temporary texture look super sharp.

Well...I still haven't crashed :D

Active Mod Files:

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  Dawnguard.esm
03  HearthFires.esm
04  Dragonborn.esm
05  ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
06  Ket_ARMONIZER_v2.esm
07  Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
08  SPIKE.esm
09  XFLMain.esm
0A  Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esp
0B  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 1.3.3c]
0C  Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp  [Version 1.2.4]
0D  Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.2]
0E  Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5]
0F  Better Dynamic Snow.esp
10  Rainbows.esp
11  Clanking Armor.esp
12  Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp
13  mintylightningmod.esp
14  MintyLightningMod_COT_Patch.esp
15  StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
16  StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp
17  TradeBarter.esp
18  83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.esp
19  BLESSINGS - Altar Descriptions.esp
1A  Bring Out Your Dead.esp  [Version 1.1.7]
++  CalienteVanillaArmorTweaks.esp
1B  Dead Body Collision.esp
1C  Dual Sheath Redux.esp
1D  High Level Enemies.esp
1E  High Level Enemies - Dawnguard.esp
1F  High Level Enemies - Dragonborn.esp
20  Immersive Battles.esp
21  Immersive Brigands.esp
22  Immersive Dawnguard.esp
23  Immersive Dragonborn.esp
24  Immersive Factions.esp
25  Immersive Mercenaries.esp
26  Immersive Patrols.esp
27  Immersive Travelers.esp
28  Immersive Werewolves.esp
29  Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - RLO.esp
2A  Lanterns Of Skyrim - AIO - Dawnguard.esp
2B  Book Covers Skyrim.esp
2C  Book Covers Dawnguard.esp
2D  Book Covers Hearthfire.esp
2E  Moss Rocks.esp
2F  PilgrimsDelight.esp
30  Point The Way.esp  [Version 1.0.1a]
31  Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and Booze.esp
32  ShootingStars.esp
33  Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp  [Version v6.1.1]
34  Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp  [Version v6.1.1]
35  Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
36  SkyrimCoinReplacer.esp
37  SkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.esp  [Version 1.1]
38  SPTDiverseGuardsSkyrim.esp  [Version 4.4]
++  Traps Make Noise.esp
39  Convenient Horses.esp
3A  Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
3B  Character Creation Overhaul.esp
3C  Footprints.esp
3D  Footprints - Ash.esp
3E  WetandCold.esp
3F  WetandCold - Ashes.esp
40  SkyUI.esp
41  iHUD.esp
42  AMB Glass Variants Lore.esp
43  Cloaks.esp
44  Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
45  1nivWICCloaks.esp  [Version 2.3]
46  1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp  [Version 2.3]
47  DragonbornArmorFix.esp
48  Elemental Staves.esp
49  Glass Variants.esp
4A  hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
4B  Immersive Weapons.esp
4C  imp_helm.esp
4D  imp_helm_imp.esp
4E  imp_helm_dawn.esp
4F  imp_guard_helm.esp
50  Valor Armor.esp
51  Dr_Bandolier.esp
52  Dr_BandolierDG.esp
53  Lock Overhaul.esp
54  DeadlyDragons.esp
55  MIDFollowMeCloser.esp
56  SkyRe_Main.esp
57  SkyRe_SIC Crossbowfix.esp
58  SkyRe_Main_Fix.esp
59  SkyRe_Combat.esp
5A  SkyRe_CraftingFix.esp
5B  SkyRe_StandingStones.esp
5C  SkyRe_StandingStones_Fix.esp
5D  ExplosiveBoltsVisualized-SkyRe.esp
5E  SkyrimChimneysRW.esp
5F  The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp  [Version 1.2.4]
60  towBlockSteal.esp
61  360WalkandRunPlus-RunBackwardSpeedAdjust.esp
62  AchieveThat.esp
63  Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux.esp
64  Babette.esp
65  BlockSparkles.esp
66  CCO - Oblivion Carry Weights.esp
67  CCO - Permanent Birthsigns.esp
68  Distant DetailHF.esp
69  DiversePriests.esp
6A  DiversePriests_BringOutYourDeadPatch.esp
6B  Grass_On_Steroids_SFO.esp
6C  Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
6D  Ket_ARMONIZER_LListsNPC.esp
6E  masser Size x0.5.esp
6F  SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp
70  secunda Size x0.5.esp
71  SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp
72  SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators-Dawnguard.esp
73  SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators-Dragonborn.esp
74  dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
75  dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
76  EBT- Dg - Db - SIC.esp
77  TheChoiceIsYours.esp
78  TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
79  Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
7A  Waterbreathing Breathless Emerge.esp
7B  aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
7C  Chesko_Step418_SN.esp
7D  SoS - The Dungeons.esp  [Version 1.23]
7E  ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound.esp
7F  Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp
80  Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp
81  Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp
82  Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp
83  ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
84  ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
85  ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-2.esp
86  prod80_CoT_patch.esp
87  SoS - The Dungeons-PatchRLODungeons.esp
88  SoS - The Dungeons-PatchRLOMajorCityInteriors.esp
89  BFSEffects.esp
8A  DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
8B  Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
8C  DragonCombatOverhaulDragonborn.esp
8D  The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
8E  CCO - Dynamic Skill Progression.esp
8F  Acquisitive Soul Gems.esp
90  Enhanced Soul Trap.esp
91  Soul Gems Differ - E.esp
92  dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp
93  TheEyesOfBeauty.esp  [Version 8]
94  XFLDialogue.esp
95  XFLPlugins.esp
96  Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp
97  CCO - Diverse Races And Genders.esp
98  dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
99  SkyRe_Races.esp
9A  SkyRe_Races_Fix.esp
9B  CCO SkyRe Patch.esp
9C  ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp
9D  Animated Weapon Enchants.esp
9E  WATER.esp
9F  WATER Plants.esp
A0  WATER DB Waves.esp
A1  General Patch.esp
A2  Merged Patch.esp
A3  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
A4  Automatic Variants.esp
A5  ASIS-Dependency.esp
A6  ASIS.esp
A7  Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp
A8  ReProccer.esp
A9  SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp
AA  PostASISPatch.esp
AB  ReProccerDragonborn.esp
AC  qotsafans Books + Book Covers Skyrim HF Patch.esp

I call it 'Shawn's action packed fun-time super step build'. You'll notice I added two out of the three mods I said I was (didn't have the balls to try interesting npcs).

This is a post just to cover a few things. I have 1 outstanding issue. Also I have two games that I have modded and wish to back up. Lastly I have MO running Skyrim and I was wondering it was possible for it to handle New Vegas aswell (currently handled my NMM). I suppose the best way is to just list my questions in point form.

-Skyrim is handled by MO, can I port my modded new vegas build to be handled by MO aswell?

-Torches and Magic lights give off blocky shadows; does anyone know how to cure this?

-I am hoping to back up my builds on an EHD; like stated earlier I am hoping to get New Vegas under MO as well but as of right now I would need both the MO and NMM procedure.

Thanks

Um... post the hyperlink then. Honestly I don't think it possible for it to give you that message barring something major (like you're an alien with computer parts from the future) considering I just posted 1903x14427 resolution image yesterday. Though if you're trying to post it as an attachment then that would be your problem. If that's the case make an account with an image host and upload there.