1st STEP install - Succsess - but a few remaining questions!

frozenreads

Question

Hi

I have just finished my very first STEP install and after a few days, and bringing myself up to speed with the nuances of Wyrebash, I think I have finally made a good complete install, everything 'seems' to be working fine. So first off, a big thank you to the STEP team for helping me to enhance my Skyrim experience, but I do however have a few observations and lingering questions, that I hope someone would be kind enough to quickly answer.

1. D 24 - Weapon & Armor Fixes - I have installed the Multi-Mod Compatibility Patch but I notice its the only plugin in the mods section of Wyrebash that is orange/red in color which means I quote ""Some of the plugin's masters are in a different order than what is specified in the plugin. This will generally be handled automatically by the game, but it may result in changes in-game".  Is this patch supposed to appear like this, I have checked orders and rechecked and everything seems correct, is it supposed to appear like this, is it working??

2. E 18 -Not Another Colored Map Icon Mod - This mod has not been updated by the author in a while and does not work with the latest SkyUI, is there a work around, or alternative?

3. F 11 -Guard Dialogue Overhaul - STEP mentions that it has some issues with Book of Silence and that I should either amend its load order (does Wyrebash/BOSS not do this)? or create a TES5Edit patch.  The GDO mod creator mentions this IS compatible with I 3 - Book of Silence, I am a little confused as to what I need to do, I am not that familiar with TES5Edit and let Wyrebash/BOSS/STEP guide do the ordering for me.  STEP seems a little vague in regards to this particular issue.

4 F 24 - Even Better Quest Objectives - STEP talks about a patch for Non-Essential Children with Inventory Tweaks, I can not find this patch anywhere, either within the mod or as an optional patch. ???  There is another similar sounding patch, for another mod that looks like it has something do do with killable children, but I am not entirely sure how to proceed with this?? Advice?

5. I still do not fully understand the bashpatch0.esp and how to use it.  By default its unticked, do I tick it along with my other Mods, do I patch it, and then deselect all other mods apart from this one.  I am a little unclear on its function and how to use it. My only experience with it, is when I followed one of the final STEP guide instructions - Wrye Bash Realistic Crime Radius fix, where it asked me if I wanted to activate it, I said yes.  I really don't understand its use or function. Help! All my mods are ticked, and do not have a + which is supposed to show they are merged into a bash patch.  Help can some one give me an idiots guide to what the bashpatch is all about and how to use it?

Many thanks in advance for some help!

9 answers to this question

1) Don't worry to much about orange colored stuff. If you get more advanced knowledge of using TES5Edit then you can reorder them, but you shouldn't have any problems with it.

2) Turn off the SkyUI version check in the MCM menu.

3) It isn't game breaking if you just want to play since you are a first timer.

4) I think it's included and you use the installer to get the correct version.

5) Okay the bashed Patch allows you to merge some mods to reduce the number of plugins and also tweak some settings to your liking. If you right click on the Bahsed Patch and select the rebuild bashed patch option a menu will pop up with options. There are some check boxes in the left column and there you should select merge patches, leveled lists, and tweak settings. When you choose merge patches, check all the mods listed. For the tweak settings you should follow the directions for crime radius tweak listed on the STEP guide.

Also, if it asks you to deactivate mods then select yes and those will end being the ones you merge. The mergeable mods will be green in color and after the bashed patch is built and checked those mods should be uncehcked and have a plus sign there.

also do yourself a favor.. If you plan on ever modifying your step install and if you have the room, make a second copy of your skyrim/data folder and just name it stepbackup or something similar. if you ever do something that messes up your step install you can always swap the folder then use the anneal all function in bash installers tab...

for example, step is for stock skyrim improvement, but i use things outside its scope like body replacers, music replacers, custom made mods etc... so sometimes when trading out clothing or expanding my step install or just tweaking things it "can" get a little quirky...

after you make a STEP install modifying it more and more till you break it becomes kinda an addiction rofl

also do yourself a favor.. If you plan on ever modifying your step install and if you have the room, make a second copy of your skyrim/data folder and just name it stepbackup or something similar. if you ever do something that messes up your step install you can always swap the folder then use the anneal all function in bash installers tab...

for example, step is for stock skyrim improvement, but i use things outside its scope like body replacers, music replacers, custom made mods etc... so sometimes when trading out clothing or expanding my step install or just tweaking things it "can" get a little quirky...

after you make a STEP install modifying it more and more till you break it becomes kinda an addiction rofl

Or just start using Mod Organizer and create STEP backup profile, and save yourself A LOT of space on your hard drive... ;)

Or just start using Mod Organizer and create STEP backup profile, and save yourself A LOT of space on your hard drive... ;)

I have 4Tb of storage :thumbsup:

I have 4Tb of storage :thumbsup:

Ok... I have 10 or 11TB what's your point? Rootsrat was just telling you so you could save some space. Most users here (at least the staff) play off of SSD's so freeing up space is necessary. If you don't need to save the space or choose not to that's your choice, he was just telling you a way to save some.

Easy now!

It came out a bit harsh, but the intent is good enough!

The point remains, for SSD users (I am semi staff... and I do not have a SSD btw :P) then saving space is always good!

For people with large external drive capacity then it is ofc. no worry!

What I meant was, and perhaps I should have expressed myself more clearly, that Mod Organizer allows you to create profiles, which are basically virtual Skyrim/Data folders. Each mod is installed in its own folder - as opposed to the actual Skyrim/Data folder - and the profile tells MO which ones to use to create Data folder. So there is no need for constant copying, pasting, folder name change, multiple data folders etc.

It's MUCH easier and more use friendly.