Help me understand BOSS BOYD esp issue

Quahogs

Question

DiversePriests_BringOutYourDeadPatch.esp

Error: Bring Out Your Dead.esp is not present or is not active. Skyrim will CTD when loading if using this file without it.

I have gone over and followed STEP(no other non STEP mods besides CoT) and my BOSS log is clean except for the above issue.  However when I check the ESP box for BOYD Skyrim doesn't launch (SKSE thru MO).   I googled the issue but there doesn't seem to be a readily apparent solution.   Why is BOYD esp crashing the launch ?   I'm also not currently running FNIS or Dual sheath due to their own issues...  but that's another story  lol    

Thank you 

When you installed the Diverse Priests mod, you told the installer to add an additional mod/patch that requires another mod called "Bring Out Your Dead". If the patch from Diverse Priests is active but Bring Out Your Dead is not installed or active (which I believe is your case), then Skyrim will crash to the desktop.

There are several (a total of 4, I think) patches that can be installed from Diverse Priests from various mods that will cause the same thing.

The solution is to not install the patches or to install the additional mods (The additional mods are in section "2.M, Gameplay" of the guide.)

If you're trying to run Skyrim at the "Benchmark" spots of the guide and getting this CTD, just disable the additional patches (deactivate their ESP) until all of the mods are installed. I ran into the same problem, this is how I worked around it. BOSS will still report the error, but if the patches are disabled, you should be fine. (At least in my experience.)

Hope this helps.

No Diverse Priests only includes patches for Bring Out Your Dead and Consistent Older People, not 4 (I know because I made the patches).

I stand corrected...previous reply edited to correct my mistake.

But in any event, the CTD is caused by the patch being active when the mod the patch is for is not installed and/or active, correct? And the BOSS warning is generated to let you know of this situation.

Thank you. I will heed your advice and work it through. Patches..:-) Man I'm really trying to understand this and how it processes but I just don't SEE what is happening. My confusion lies in MO and the ESP tab.

1)Checking the box activates the patch ? Why then are there there so many ESP patches or mods NOT checked. Some are some aren't. Do I let BOSS feed me the correct info for that tab?

2) There is a SOS patch for CoT. A couple BOSS told me I needed. I installed the MOD patch thru MO is that ok or if it says d/l manually then MO should be left out ?

3) Load orders - I need to understand this better. Does Skyrim launcher trump BOSS ? If I change the order under the DATA tab will it remain in that order or the next time I run BOSS it will reshuffle ? What does checking that DATA tab box do actually ? If it's checked it runs the patch ?

I know I'm not going to get this overnight but I'm having alot of fun reviewing these mods and setting up the game just so.

Thank you all

I'll try to explain this - and I'll ask others to correct me where I go astray. I am by no means an expert when it comes to MO, but I do have it working for me.

On the left of the MO window is the list of mods that you have installed. If they are checked, then they are active as well.

On the right-hand side is the set of tabs, two of which are labeled "ESP" and "BSA". When you activate a mod, if that mod contains ESPs and BSAs, they will be listed on these tabs. At present, MO doesn't automatically activate these components, relying on you to make them active by checking them in these tabs.

By default, the load order is controlled (mainly) by the order in which you install the mods. MO, by itself, doesn't control the load order, nor does Skyrim. This is where BOSS comes in. When you run BOSS, it looks at the list of mods you have, compares it to a master list and then re-orders your mod list - you can see this by paying attention to the ESP and BSA tabs.

The way I do it is install a mod, activate it on the left, then check for new ESPs and BSAs on the right, which are usually placed at the bottom of each tab. Not all mods will have them, but some will have both. Once I get all the mods I want installed, I run BOSS to set the load order.

I'm not familiar with the SOS patch for CoT, so I can't comment on that.  I can however point you to the two videos that taught me about MO:

Beginner's Guide:

Advanced Guide:

Again, I hope I helped.

No Diverse Priests only includes patches for Bring Out Your Dead and Consistent Older People, not 4 (I know because I made the patches).

I stand corrected...previous reply edited to correct my mistake.

But in any event, the CTD is caused by the patch being active when the mod the patch is for is not installed and/or active, correct? And the BOSS warning is generated to let you know of this situation.

This is what I don't understand.  Right now I have the following ESP's checked under the ESP tab:

BOYD

Diverse priests.esp

diverse priestsboydpatch.esp

SPT Consistent older people.esp

diverse priests _consistentolderpeoplepatch.esp

They are also in that order and checked when I run skyrim launcher - Data files

BOYD, diverse priests, and consistent older people mods are all checked under the installed mods section of MO

I don't have any more RED warnings under BOSS but now I CTD.  

The only time I DON'T CTD is if I UNCHECK BOYD.ESP and diversepriestsBOYDpatch.ESP  .   But now BOSS says I'm back to the BOSS RED MESSAGE

Error: Bring Out Your Dead.esp is not present or is not active. Skyrim will CTD when loading if using this file without it the original red message

WOW am I confused...

On the right-hand side is the set of tabs, two of which are labeled "ESP" and "BSA". When you activate a mod, if that mod contains ESPs and BSAs, they will be listed on these tabs. At present, MO doesn't automatically activate these components, relying on you to make them active by checking them in these tabs.

Again, I hope I helped.

Yes thank you.   What I can't figure out as per your statement : mo doesn't automatically activate these components ,relying on you to make them active by checking them in these tabs.   Which SHOULD I make active ?  Other than BOSS's warnings about not having an ESM or ESP active I have no idea if I should be checking those boxes or not.  

This is what I don't understand.  Right now I have the following ESP's checked under the ESP tab:

BOYD

Diverse priests.esp

diverse priestsboydpatch.esp

SPT Consistent older people.esp

diverse priests _consistentolderpeoplepatch.esp

They are also in that order and checked when I run skyrim launcher - Data files

This is the exact same load order I have and I do not CTD.

The only time I DON'T CTD is if I UNCHECK BOYD.ESP and diversepriestsBOYDpatch.ESP  .   But now BOSS says I'm back to the BOSS RED MESSAGE

Error: Bring Out Your Dead.esp is not present or is not active. Skyrim will CTD when loading if using this file without it the original red message

I believe this is caused because BOYD is disabled and BOSS can detect the presence of the BOYD patch - even though it's disabled. This is what happened to me until I got all of the mods loaded and enabled everything at the end.  If they are both disabled, then I would ignore this warning from BOSS.

WOW am I confused...

I'm going to go out on a limb here an guess maybe one of the mods is borked or it's some other mod/issue causing it.  If Skyrim will start and run with both of these mods disabled, I would re-install them both and see if that helps.  Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

Which SHOULD I make active ?  Other than BOSS's warnings about not having an ESM or ESP active I have no idea if I should be checking those boxes or not.

I have every ESM and ESP in my list checked. But I have my full compliment of mods installed at this point. If you've worked through the entire mod list on the guide, I would check every one of them and see if that helps. Be sure to do the same for the "BSA" tab as well.

I thank you for your help. I deleted the mod and reinstalled. Checked the BOYD.esp, ran BOSS : clean. Ran SKSE under MO and CTD. Uncheck BOYD.esp and game launches fine.

I know I should just move on. The mod is not imperative obviously. But knowing I CAN'T fix it (assuming what BOSS says is correct...) sticks in my craw and hopefully is not a harbinger of mods to come !

Which SHOULD I make active ?  Other than BOSS's warnings about not having an ESM or ESP active I have no idea if I should be checking those boxes or not.

I have every ESM and ESP in my list checked. But I have my full compliment of mods installed at this point. If you've worked through the entire mod list on the guide, I would check every one of them and see if that helps. Be sure to do the same for the "BSA" tab as well.

I too have all of the STEP mods installed also.  Every one checked huh ?  Wow bring on the CTD's :-(

I too have all of the STEP mods installed also.  Every one checked huh ?  Wow bring on the CTD's :-(

I don't have EVERY STEP mod installed - I did install nearly every "core" mod and I added a few of my own...just shy of 200 in total.

Where exactly is the CTD happening?  While Skyrim is loading or after you see the main menu?

I don't have EVERY STEP mod installed - I did install nearly every "core" mod and I added a few of my own...just shy of 200 in total.

Where exactly is the CTD happening?  While Skyrim is loading or after you see the main menu?

Well I unchecked what I know are the problematic mods for me : boyd, consistent op, diverse priest, duel sheath and FNIS.  All the other mods are check.  Boss runs pristine.  No errors, warnings...

I checked ALL the esp and CTD.  Right at the beginning of the emblem.  Now I can go and uncheck all and slowly make my way down the list...  but if I HAVE to have the esp's / esm's checked in order for things to work within the game ... wll then I'm screwed I guess.  

Well kind of good news. I have all the esp's checked (for the mods I have installed - I temp unchecked boyd,diverse priest,consistent old people,dual sheath and FNIS. The only esp UNCHECKED is dual sheath redux patch(not sure why that's even there since it's not checked as a mod)AND.... disease descriptions_RND compatible patch.esp. Could it be that I don't have realistic needs and diseases installed yet ? Is that RND ? How could not having that cause me to CTD ?? crazy. Oh well. Now let me try to get the others working again...