Animation Question

Kudara

Question

Alright I'm not quite sure where I went wrong of if what I have was the intended result.  I started a new build using your revisited guide and MO, which is indeed a very nice utility, and ended up with an unexpected animation result.

I like the idea of dual weilding from the back but not so much for one handed weapons and uses.  I'd like for my character to have her one handed sword on her hip and her shield on her back.  What I have now (no shield yet I need to make one to see where she stores it) is that her scabbard is indeed by her side but the draw animation is from the back.  What did I do wrong and which animation mod of the multiple ones I loaded do you think is the culprit?

8 answers to this question

It sounds like you have your weapon stored where you want it (on hip) but that the draw is from the back and not the hip. That means you probably have the skeleton you want but not the animation you want.  The draw is governed by your animation, not your skeleton, so you need to get an animation with one handed draw from the hip (and shield from the back if you want that animation).

One issue you will run into is left handed actions. In Skyrim all actions are driven by what is in your right hand or what your right hand is doing. If you use a draw (right hand) sword from hip and shield from back - then anytime your draw your sword your left hand will reach behind your back - which will look goofy if you are dual wielding with both weapons stored on your hips. You have to choose if you want left hand to always reach for the back or or hip (or the vanilla animations where whatever will be in your left hand just pops into that hand).

Remember - skeletons control where stuff (shields, weapons, etc.) is stored, animations control the motion used to equip (or fight with) weapons/shields/staffs/magic, etc.  What action your right hand is taking governs which animation you will use.  (At least if I remember right...)

Yea after reading the posts I see that I will have to decide which placement I want as I can't have both...oh well. I'll have to think on this some. Thanks for the comments everyone I now feel as if I have a much better handle on what is going on. This is the first time I've used any mods that change the vanilla animations.

Now to just remember which mod changed those....

Ok a question on XPMS it has different choices for 1h weapons and daggers? Those aren't in the same location? It makes it seem as if you can make two different choices for them.

Yes, one is to move the 1 hand swords from the hip to the back and the other is to place the daggers on the back, near where tramp stamps go. Also, make sure to choose the animation for those options too.

Alright I'm not quite sure where I went wrong of if what I have was the intended result.  I started a new build using your revisited guide and MO, which is indeed a very nice utility, and ended up with an unexpected animation result.

I like the idea of dual weilding from the back but not so much for one handed weapons and uses.  I'd like for my character to have her one handed sword on her hip and her shield on her back.  What I have now (no shield yet I need to make one to see where she stores it) is that her scabbard is indeed by her side but the draw animation is from the back.  What did I do wrong and which animation mod of the multiple ones I loaded do you think is the culprit?

It's Immersive Animations mod that controls those animations. Reinstall it, choosing the desired options and then run FNIS incorporate the new animations into the game.

As far as I know you can't have an one-handed sword on the hip and then a dual wield on the back. You have to pick either one. Either you carry all swords on the hips or all swords on the back.

Correct.

Ok a question on XPMS it has different choices for 1h weapons and daggers?  Those aren't in the same location?  It makes it seem as if you can make two different choices for them.

1 handed swords are placed on back (similarly to 2h weapons). Daggers are also placed on back, but horizontally above your character's belt, like so:

Posted Image