I'm new to this. Are my specs good enough to run these mods?

AnomalousBull

Question

I just bought myself a gaming laptop and I would like to know if the following specs will meet the requirements to run at least the Core Mods on Steam (or should I not use Steam?) as well as what is the possible frame rate while running the Core Mods with these specs:

Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

3rd Gen Intel i7-3630QM Processor (2.4GHz, TurboBoost up to 3.4GHz)

2GB NVidia GeForce GT 635M DDR5 Dedicated Graphics

16GB DDR3 RAM (2 Dimm)

1TB 5400rpm Hard Drive (No mSSD Hard Drive acceleration cache)

Screen Resolution 1920x1080

And yes, I know I should have gone with a desktop, but the mobility of the laptop is essential for me.

13 answers to this question

I'd suggest choosing a less demanding option for the optimized DLC which is the first mod listed under Conflicting Graphics. The current recommendation is to for go that mod if you have 2 GB of VRAM, but you could go with 1.5 GB option which still looks great and will demand a bit less from your laptop. There are a few other mods with lower resolution options too that will help smooth out performance, just look for the LQ on the guide.

You might also consider using nvidia inspector to cap your FPS, I put mine at 45 since it's an RPG and I don't need 60 FPS like some twitch shooter.

I understand from a quick Google that the 635M 2Gb is a re-badged 555M 2Gb. That means that according to https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:System_Requirements you should be able to play at Medium/High, possibly High. The proviso comment is...

"These cards should be around medium/high settings give or take a little depending on the exact resolution. Some of these cards are showing their age but should still be more than sufficient for Skyrim"

You do have plenty of VRAM on it so I suggest you stick to the STEP Baseline 1024 mods. You certainly shouldn't need to pick Performance but I would steer clear of the Extreme choice and pick Medium for Shadows.

Thank you guys very much. I have very little experience doing this sort of thing but I love to learn new things and this seems very interesting. Again thank you very much. Much appreciated :)

EDIT: Also what are the Baseline 1024 mods? And for the advice on the optimized DLC for Conflicting Graphics, thank you EssArrBee

EDIT#2: Now I see what you were talking about DanielCoffey thank you again very much.

Wait...I'm sorry but I've confused myself now. Are you saying I should install all the core mods plus the remaining Baseline 1024 mods not included in those core mods? Or just the core mods that say 1024 in that column? What if I were to do a few more than just the Baseline 1024 mods?

Baseline column is just an indication which file to use, if there are mutliple choices. I.e. if could be a texture mod that has 3 variants - 1k, 2k and 4k texture sizes. When Baseline indicates 2k - this is the variant preferred by the STEP team, however LO and HI indicators are also used to say that the mod is available in both lower and higher resolution for users with less specced or more specced PC's (respectively).

Core mods have a little green rectangle next to them -- the term baseline is just the recommended texture resolution for STEP and not directly related to whether it's a core mod or not. Honestly, just install the stuff you want and see what happens :D I don't know how Wrye Bash installs files, but at least with Mod Organizer enabling and disabling texture mods is a cinch.

Edit: I took too long to reply...

Not at all. STEP is as old as Skyrim and has been tested the entire time using Steam. If you notice that your laptop is starting to get pushed to it's limit you can just as easily remove or downgrade a few mods until it runs at a less demanding level, which will reduce wear and tear.

Actually on laptops games can break the hardware because laptops have extremely... Let us just say BAD, cooling solutions that are never designed for max performance several hours in a row, and they are for some strange reason also always placed so that you cannot easily access and clean/change them.

It would be best to start with STEP base and medium settings, then scale up as you find out what you have performance for.

Edit: There now the kids can also see it! Sorry for the bad s word! :D