DynDOLOD not dynamically updating seasonal Tree LODs in game

tonewheelz

Question

Hi

I've been trying to figure out a problem for the last week and I think the issue is either with Seasons of Skyrim or DynDOLOD

Issue: Seasonal tree LODs are not updated in in game (i.e., Tamriel World Space). For example, if I load the game with Rain's Hand as the current month, the tree LODs correctly reflect Spring. If I change `gamemonth` to something like Autumn or Winter, enter an interior cell, and return to the world space, the distant terrain (generated by xLODGen), all the precached grass, and all the loaded cell's trees change to Autumn/Winter as expected, but the tree LODs continue to use Spring. The only way to get it to update is by exiting the game and running it again. Upon exiting and restarting Skyrim, the tree game will load using the correct matching seasonal  tree LOD.

Since I have such an extensive mod list (400+ mods), I've made sure to test this in an environment with bare minimum, and the issue persists:

Plugins used in testing:

• Skyrim.esm
  • Update.esm
  • Dawnguard.esm
  • HearthFires.esm
  • Dragonborn.esm
  • _ResourcePack.esl
  • Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Resources.esm
  • DynDOLOD.esm
  • SkyUI_SE.esp
  • SnowOverSkyrim.esp
  • Seasonal Landscapes.esp
  • Seasonal Landscapes - Solstheim.esp
  • Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
  • RealisticWaterTwo.esp
  • DynDOLOD.esp
  • Occlusion.esp

Mod List in order (all up to date, and using DynDOLOD v3)

• Unmanaged: _ResourcePack
  • DLC: HearthFires
  • DLC: Dragonborn
  • DLC: Dawnguard
  • SKSE
  • Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch
  • Alternate Start - Live Another Life - SSE
  • Address Library for SKSE Plugins
  • SkyUI
  • SSE Engine Fixes (skse64 plugin)
  • .NET Script Framework
  • powerofthree's Tweaks
  • Base Object Swapper
  • Backported Extended ESL Support
  • Seasons of Skyrim SKSE
  • Seasonal Landscapes
  • Realistic Water Two
  • DynDOLOD Resources SE
  • DynDOLOD DLL NG and Scripts
  • TexGen_Output - TEST
  • DynDOLOD_Output - TEST

Troubleshooting Tried (All tested on a new game):

• Save game, reload save , issue persists
  • Tested with solely Seasons of Skyrim, as well as Turn of the Seasons (regenerating TexGen & DynDOLOD), and issue persists
  • Change treelod distance in DynDOLOD MCM to 0 (The incorrectly loaded tree LOD disappears), then increse the number again (the incorrect tree LOD returns)
  • Enter interior, wait a few hours, exit interior, issue persists
  • Fast travel away and back, issue persists
  • cycle through the game months using console, issue persists
  • Looked at the "You are here", and `Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees shows `Tamriel.4.40.-24.btt` is loaded, and can confirm that the folder `DynDOLOD_Output` contains `Tamriel.4.40.-24.WIN.btt`, `Tamriel.4.40.-24.SPR.btt`, `Tamriel.4.40.-24.SUM.btt`, and `Tamriel.4.40.-24.AUT.btt`.
  • Confirmed that Seasons of Skyrim's ini `po3_seasonsofskyrim.ini ` has Tree LOD enabled.

Thoughts / Observations:

Since the correct seasonal tree LODs are loading when exiting and restarting Skyrim, it seems like this confirms that DynDOLOD is in fact reading the correct LODs to use from Seasons of Skyrim/Seasonal Landscapes, and that Seasons of Skyrim is set up correctly. The issue seems to be that the DynDOLOD DLL NG is perhaps not dynamically updating the LOD in game when changing the date and entering/exiting an interior cell.

I am not sure how else to get the tree LOD to update in game without having to save my game, exit Skyrim, and restart Skyrim.

Truly appreciate any help!

Edited by tonewheelz

1 answer to this question

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Seasons
In addition to the default LOD meshes and textures this option adds a season identifier to the LOD meshes and textures filenames.
This feature is for powerofthrees's Seasons Of Skyrim which does the actual switching of assets for the different seasons in the game.

The fact that the game shows the correct LOD after loading, verifies that DynDOLOD worked as desired and generated the seasonal LOD assets.
DynDOLOD does not change how the game works. Switching of assets is obviously the job of Seasons of Skyrim.
Make sure you are checking/editing the correct po3_SeasonsOfSkyrim.ini via MO2 right window Data tab.
Check po3_SeasonsOfSkyrim.log for hints.

As a workaround you could try to generate ultra tree LOD. See https://dyndolod.info/Help/Ultra-Tree-LOD

See https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum for future reference.