TexGen generates some of Nature of the Wild Lands billboards fully or partially black.

Kriiks

Question

Hello!

As I was literally pointed to this direction and I'm 100% out of ideas, so here it goes:

I decided to use Nature of the Wild Lands (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/63604 ) tree replacer mod and whatever I try, I can not generate usable billboards. Some tree types look perfectly fine, some are black and some are partially black. Examples from billboards: https://imgur.com/a/LI3elT4  So without proper billboards it's no point even launch DynDOLOD because it still needs billboards from TexGen.

TexGen logs don't complain either: https://paste.ee/p/Mdrnl

Every other tree replacer seems to generate completely fine. Still I see other people having non-broken NotWL lods and I haven't seen anybody complain about similar issue, so must be something in my end? If somebody could point out what I'm missing in this puzzle, I would be very thankful.

6 answers to this question

23 hours ago, Kriiks said:

Hello!

As I was literally pointed to this direction and I'm 100% out of ideas, so here it goes:

I decided to use Nature of the Wild Lands (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/63604 ) tree replacer mod and whatever I try, I can not generate usable billboards. Some tree types look perfectly fine, some are black and some are partially black. Examples from billboards: https://imgur.com/a/LI3elT4  So without proper billboards it's no point even launch DynDOLOD because it still needs billboards from TexGen.

TexGen logs don't complain either: https://paste.ee/p/Mdrnl

Every other tree replacer seems to generate completely fine. Still I see other people having non-broken NotWL lods and I haven't seen anybody complain about similar issue, so must be something in my end? If somebody could point out what I'm missing in this puzzle, I would be very thankful.

Read https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs which TexGen debug log to also upload when making posts.

Check what mods are the last ones to contain the full model of the trees you reported.
meshes\landscape\trees\nature_of_the_wild_lands\picea\picea06.nif
meshes\landscape\trees\nature_of_the_wild_lands\betula\betula01.nif

Check which mods are the last ones to contain the full textures that are black:
textures\true forest\picea\needles2.dds and textures\true forest\betula\new\branches.dds in case the full models are from Nature of the Wild Lands 2.4 for example.

Those are all valid points to check. So did I before I posted :) And I must thank you for that. I went to make a pic from my MO2 Data tab to prove that files come indeed from NotWL and noticed that some texture files had weird size. They were missing mipmaps. So I opened Paint.net and resaved them with "generate mipmaps" option and now I have great looking LOD

I'm just a bit confused and curious... did everybody else manage to create good lods with original textures with no mipmaps? Why I can't find a single post about same issue? For me resaving those textures with mipmaps was a key to solve my black tree lod problem.

Thank you for making me to recheck my files :D It maybe wasn't exactly this kind help what you were intending to give, but it made me to notice the problem regardless. 

TLDR: TexGen generated black lods because some textures from NotWL were missing mipmaps. Case closed? :)

58 minutes ago, Kriiks said:

Those are all valid points to check. So did I before I posted :) And I must thank you for that. I went to make a pic from my MO2 Data tab to prove that files come indeed from NotWL and noticed that some texture files had weird size. They were missing mipmaps. So I opened Paint.net and resaved them with "generate mipmaps" option and now I have great looking LOD

I'm just a bit confused and curious... did everybody else manage to create good lods with original textures with no mipmaps? Why I can't find a single post about same issue? For me resaving those textures with mipmaps was a key to solve my black tree lod problem.

Thank you for making me to recheck my files :D It maybe wasn't exactly this kind help what you were intending to give, but it made me to notice the problem regardless. 

TLDR: TexGen generated black lods because some textures from NotWL were missing mipmaps. Case closed? :)

An experienced MA creating branch textures without mipmaps? Highly doubtful, so I checked this mod myself and find that those two branch textures indeed do have mipmaps. The file sizes aren't 'strange' either, so this is not the issue. These textures are in a BSA BTW and must be extracted to have a proper look at them.

Besides, I don't think TexGen or DynDOLOD actually need the mips provided by the MA.

The request was to check which mods provide these textures. Are you using some kind of NotWL texture replacer?

Use MO Data tab in the right pane to filter those two textures and reveal what mod is providing them.

10 hours ago, Kriiks said:

Requested debug log was not provided.

..\textures\true forest\picea\needles2.dds and ..\textures\true forest\betula\new\branches.dds included in Nature of the Wild Lands - forest and trees improvement mod 2.4 have mipmaps.

Yeah, went to bed yesterday after I found mipmap issue. No, there is nothing wrong with texture paths, they are correct and coming from NotWL. Attached yesterdays TexGen Debug log.

BUT I did unpack NofWL bsa before to see if can I organise at least partial seasons support and apparently MO2 bsa unpacker butchered some texture files. I've been using MO/MO2 since it was pretty much released and something like that never happened to me before. Of course, I don't unpack every bsa without reason, but I wasn't even suspecting MO2 bsa unpacker to mess up unpacked content. Tried today to reproduce it and of course now it worked perfectly fine.

So final lesson learnt: Don't unpack bsa with built in MO2 bsa unpacker. 

And I finally have good-looking LOD without any black trees being an eyesore.

Logs.zip

31 minutes ago, Kriiks said:

Yeah, went to bed yesterday after I found mipmap issue. No, there is nothing wrong with texture paths, they are correct and coming from NotWL. Attached yesterdays TexGen Debug log.

BUT I did unpack NofWL bsa before to see if can I organise at least partial seasons support and apparently MO2 bsa unpacker butchered some texture files. I've been using MO/MO2 since it was pretty much released and something like that never happened to me before. Of course, I don't unpack every bsa without reason, but I wasn't even suspecting MO2 bsa unpacker to mess up unpacked content. Tried today to reproduce it and of course now it worked perfectly fine.

So final lesson learnt: Don't unpack bsa with built in MO2 bsa unpacker. 

And I finally have good-looking LOD without any black trees being an eyesore.

Logs.zip 364.09 kB · 0 downloads

It is very unlikely that unpacking a file from a BSA with any tool magically can remove mipmaps while the texture file stays intact. 
Programs do not randomly change how they work. The fact that it did not happen when you specifically tested for it, means that your assumption was disproven.
Unpacking BSA with MO2 works perfectly fine.

It is much more likely, that the texture were modified an other way or that the textures were from another source.

Regardless of that, based on the debug log, TexGen is generating the mipmaps in case they are missing as expected.
Something seemed to have happened to that causing an incomplete GL texture. Will be fixed next alpha version.

• Thanks 1