Lets talk about Doctor Who while I wait for my thermal paste

Sairven

What brought about this topic:

Around a week ago my CPU's heatsink decided to pop off while I was cleaning my computer's innards of dust (just using a canned air duster thingy).

There's still a little thermal paste left on the heatsink and the bar covering my CPU but I don't want to chance anything.

So, I'm left doing nothing but re-watching my Doctor Who (the ones starting at the 2005 reboot) DVDs/Blu-Rays and all the extras. It amazes me how little CGI they actually use in that show compared to what you might expect.

I also fantasize about how much more they could accomplish if they teamed up with the Jim Henson Company.

Right now I'm watching the series out of order on purpose. Started with Series 5 (Matt Smith), went to Series 6 because man Matt Smith is just great. Now I'm mixing Series 2 and 3 together. Next will be Series 1 and then Series 4.

I wish I could get hold of the older seasons. I used to watch them all the time as a kid. Jon Pertwee was always my favorite. :3

Matt Smith is my second favorite. He nails the part so perfectly. David Tennant is a shaky third favorite. It's sometimes pretty obvious that he's a Doctor Who fan so at times he becomes my least favorite. His Doctor's storylines were ****ing amazing though so that skews my opinion of him towards a more favorable one.

So, which Doctor is YOUR favorite? How about your second favorite?

And while we're at it, who is your favorite companion?

Rory. Definitely Rory.

I'm a bit of killjoy when it comes to the rebooted Dr Who. I used to love it when I was a kid, but it was more

.  A bit dated and melodramatic to be sure, but really quite engaging!  I find the new version a bit "zany" and eager to please.  *grumbles* *mutters* :P

I'm a bit of killjoy when it comes to the rebooted Dr Who. I used to love it when I was a kid' date=' but it was more

.  A bit dated and melodramatic to be sure, but really quite engaging!  I find the new version a bit "zany" and eager to please.  *grumbles* *mutters* :P
I used to watch as a kid in the 70's too. That was my Dr Who. I have not watched since around 1976.

Yeah for the 2005 reboot Series 1 was mostly them trying to prove to the BBC that it was worth bringing the Doctor back.

Series 2 was further solidifying that plea and then it just gets better and better from there after the BBC finally relented.

There's plenty of melodramatic antics in the reboot. Though not on the scale of the old series, of course.

I still wish I could go back in time and rewatch the old shows again. My memory gets worse and worse as time goes on. :(

I have been waiting 11 days for this thermal paste.

I'm starting to get stir crazy now. I wanna play some Skyrim, darn it!

If I had a Tardis, I would break a hole in the fabric of reality just to go back in time to tell myself to change the shipping options.

That would displease me mightily. Is there not a little PC repair shop nearby that could fix you up for a couple of bucks?

I live in the middle of no where in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee, sadly.

At this point though I could have just drove an hour to the nearest one.

But since I've all ready purchased the thermal paste, may as well wait on its eventual arrival. On that note, haven't checked the mail yet today! I need to get on that.

After all these decades, finally got my mom into Doctor Who. She really liked David Tennant and was sad at his departure. :3

If you decide to watch it, may as well start with the 2005 reboot.

Just be forewarned that the pilot/first episode suffers from British Pilot Episode Syndrome: It really, really sucks. And the second episode is kinda weak. But if you can (you should!!!) push past that, oh man. It's not even exponentially better. Goes from a 3/10 for the first, to a meh/10 for the second, and a solid 8/10 for the third and just gets better. OK maybe that is exponential.

And.. no mail yet today. 90% of the time they're slow to deliver to my road when there's a package of any sort. I just hope they're not simply being lazy today since it is Friday. And it's been a bit rainy. Ffff my pessimism tells me I won't see this thermal paste for another week.

That would displease me mightily. Is there not a little PC repair shop nearby that could fix you up for a couple of bucks?

I live in the middle of no where in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee, sadly.

At this point though I could have just drove an hour to the nearest one.

But since I've all ready purchased the thermal paste, may as well wait on its eventual arrival. On that note, haven't checked the mail yet today! I need to get on that.

After all these decades, finally got my mom into Doctor Who. She really liked David Tennant and was sad at his departure. :3

A lovely place to live though ... are you in a holler? Do you have a still? :P

I spent some time in the SM about 15 years ago. The kudzu was really bad, so I hope they are putting it down.

I love mountains. And I like the idea of someone sitting in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee, watching our weird british sci fi programs! Also, though I have probably not given the new Dr Who a fair viewing, that is largely because the first episode you mentioned sucked on a scale previously unimagined by mankind.

Haha, yes, I do indeed live in a holler. It's pretty nice here. I should post some pictures some time.

And guess what? My thermal paste did in fact come today! Haha! Finally, I get to go back to playing me some Skyrim. I splurged (well, spent 1 whole extra dollar) and bought some funky allegedly "better" stuff. Not like it matters. I smeared just under too much onto my heatsink. XMFD

Yeah, that first episode is abysmal. The second one isn't much better. But oh man. It becomes great real fast. My theory is that they were trying to draw in fans of the old series but ended up failing miserably. Ended up making old fans and new viewers hate the whole thing based on that first mess of an episode. It's definitely worth pushing past those episodes. I seriously haven't met a person yet who did so and did not find themselves hooked.

Now for me to start up Skyrim again. :D

Yep, it was mostly see-through.

At first I did put too much though. Had to scrape and perfect it and all that. tbh I probably could have went full on perfectionist mode because there was still a bit left on parts of the heatsink. But eh, whatever.