CTD on load screen trying to enter dawnstar sanctuary

winflakes

Question

I am going throgh the STEP 2.2.3 using Extreme settings.  So far, i have in-game checked almost all of the mods I have installed up through 2.K (I'm at 194 Installers on Wrye Bash).

I was going to check the tenets restored and sweet mother, but every time I try to load into Dawnstar sanctuary I get a CTD on the load screen.  I thought it might be one of those mods, so I uninstalled both and tried it again, still CTD.  Any help would be appreciated.

- Winflakes

10 answers to this question

Sorry for the necro, but I think its worthwhile. I have tracked major instability in my current heavily but carefully modded load order to iLargeIntRefCount=262144. There were some areas, like Raven Rock Mine, where I was crashing over 80% of the time when trying to enter, until I removed this from my ini. Now that transition never fails, and the occasional random 'neverending loading' glitch that plagued me appears fixed. It took me alot of guesswork to narrow it down to this; and I should add that neither larger nor smaller values was fixing anything. Only removing it from the ini did.

I consider this tweak too dangerous to be included without warnings, if at all. I dare say that back in the unhappy days I was still using ugridstoload, it never got THIS bad.

I specially tried that number and still got the Raven Rock Mine crash quasi-consistently. If it really avoids crashes elsewhere thats positive I guess, but trading crashes for crashes isn't a great deal. If its there to stay, there should at least be more attempts to confirm that it does prevent issues... cause so far, it seems like a net negative still.

RAven Rock Mine affected me even with the number at default, so I don't think that door is really going to change. I used to get a huge spike in RAM and VRAM the second I would try to enter that door and it would only take about two seconds to crash. I tried all kinds of things to get it to work that I can't even remember how I fixed it, but I know that the iLargeIntRefCount wasn't it.

RAven Rock Mine affected me even with the number at default so I don't think that door is really going to change. I used to get a huge spike in RAM and VRAM the second I would try to enter that door and it would only take about two seconds to crash. I tried all kinds of things to get it to work that I can't even remember how I fixed it, but I know that the iLargeIntRefCount wasn't it.

Did Raven Rock CTD for you if you deleted the tweak entirely from your ini?

Yeah, I even tried deleting my entire ini and letting a new one generate. It was a nightmare and I couldn't figure it out. I eventually tried so many times to get through the door with two different playthroughs that I got in. I'm pretty sure it was just a fluke, so I saved didn't leave the mine till I did everything inside.