stutering on baseline skyrim

daybreakarief

Question

System specs

CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1050T OC to 3.2mhz

GPU : Radeon HD 5870 1024Mbyets memory

HDD : 1tb (partitioned to 2 part, 200 for os and 750 for Data (skyrim here)) and another 500gb hdd all defraged

Screen resolution 1920x1080

Graphic driver version : Catalyst 13.1 setting mirroring launcher setting

Skyrim Launcher setting : 1st tried the step seting but because low fps (-35 and falling easily) i lowered the AA to 2x and Anisotropic to 8, shadow detail in High

Step version are 2.2.2 with extra mod are immersive armor, weapon, vilja in skyrim and unique unique. 

Texture quality are only 1k installed with wrye bash.

hi guys, im new here but i already used step before. then becouse i have to make room for another game so i uninstalled my skyrim. i kinda forgot what version it is but it was when the guide are still from PDF

well now im back playing skyrim and i tried the baseline step version 2.2.2a and it was great.

sadly im having a annoying stuttering everytime i move my mouse around..

this issue usually happen in world map. now i tried removing hq LOD and at the first time i think the game run well, smooth 50-60 fps.

but after some time, the stuttering came back and they became worst when encountering npc, whether they are hostile or neutral.. 

these problem hinder my gameplay very much, i dont have HRDLC but use the HRDLC Optimized using the less then1gb option..

i really need some help guys. and im sorry if my english is bad :D

thanks again 

1 GB VRAM is really not very much. Disable AA completely, AF can be kept at 8 though. Revert back to the standard settings for CCC and update to STEP 2.2.3. Try out the various described methods to improve performance in this thread: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1873

And use DDSopt to reduce your textures to 1024² and all of your normals to 512² size (in our wiki there is a detailed description). Then disable the aero theme in windows for skyrim and run skyrim as administrator.

Try out these https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/283 or these settings https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19632 for your shadows or disable them completely.

1 GB VRAM is really not very much. Disable AA completely, AF can be kept at 8 though. Revert back to the standard settings for CCC and update to STEP 2.2.3. Try out the various described methods to improve performance in this thread: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1873

And use DDSopt to reduce your textures to 1024² and all of your normals to 512² size (in our wiki there is a detailed description). Then disable the aero theme in windows for skyrim and run skyrim as administrator.

Try out these https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/283 or these settings https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19632 for your shadows or disable them completely.

k, the DDSopt option is kinda diffrent from what i have seen in the wiki but i think ill manage.. takes a long time just to optimize the main vanilla texture :D.

but luckily i dont use the HRDLC so i doesnt have to optimize those..

ok i was done optimizing the dawnguard , Dragonborn , and Skyrim -texture Bsa.. i choosed the install missing option in wyre bash. still heavent test em but il update this tonight

I have found that some AMD setups cause stuttering. I used to have a gtx 560 ti 1 gb and I got no stuttering from vanilla skyrim but then after upgrading to crossfire 6950s 2gb i had massive stuttering. From what I've experienced bethesda games are not really ATI friendly.

that was bad news for me then... i am thinking of changing my VGA card, but i never considered using Nvidia because the price :(.

and OOT question, after i was satisfied with the Step install, if i want to add more mod, can i use NMM ?. or it will mess up my step setting?

Stick with WB or MO if you don't want to get really really frustrated...

will do, 

ive tried out the optimized texture created by dsopt. so far so good. but i have several missing texture.. like firewood axe, smelters in dawnbreaker, and lantern..

i have used anneal all in skyrim after seeing the yellow underlying collor on some of the mod (in installers section). what do you guys suggest?. re install all graphic mod 

uPDATE :reinstalled step from the graphic mod setting doesnt seems to fix it..

will do, 

ive tried out the optimized texture created by dsopt. so far so good. but i have several missing texture.. like firewood axe, smelters in dawnbreaker, and lantern..

i have used anneal all in skyrim after seeing the yellow underlying collor on some of the mod (in installers section). what do you guys suggest?. re install all graphic mod 

My partner's pc has 768mb of VRAM to work with and she plays skyrim @ 1080p with AA without a single stutter. The solution was making sure she's actually under the vram limit and proper defragmentation. It has nothing to do with which brand of card you're using to run skyrim. If AMD cards didn't play nice with skyrim, you'd see everyone complaining constantly about it.

This is the 3rd time i've linked this, but here's my tip for getting your system to stop stuttering from a defrag perspective:

Additionally and finally, something that most people ignore. If you're installing STEP from a hard drive, especially with Mod Organiser, you need to defrag it properly. My suggestion is to make the downloads folder in mod organiser a different directory (preferably different hard drive) and then defrag the Skyrim folder perfectly. One of the best ways to guarantee a perfect Defrag for your game directory is to download MyDefrag v4.3.1. It's just a little program with scripting that allows full control over the windows defrag engine.

Title('MyDefrag Game Optimizer')

RunScript('Settings.MyD')

VolumeSelect
    Name("D:")
VolumeActions

ReclaimNtfsReservedAreas()

# Lay MFT and other crap NTFS spews out
  FileSelect
    SelectNtfsSystemFiles(yes)
  FileActions
    PlaceNtfsSystemFiles(Ascending,MftSize * 0.1)
    AddGap(RoundUp(ZoneEnd,20MB))
  FileEnd

# Fix the Directories
  FileSelect
    Directory(yes)
  FileActions
    SortByName(Ascending)
    AddGap(RoundUp(ZoneEnd,100MB))
  FileEnd

# Defrag Fraps, Move to the start of the drive, in order of folder hierarchy
  FileSelect
    FullPath("D:\Fraps\*","*")
  FileActions
   SortBySize(Ascending)
  FileEnd

# FUS RUH DOH
  FileSelect
    FullPath("D:\Steam\*","*")
  FileActions
   SortBySize(Ascending)
   AddGap(RoundUp(ZoneEnd,15000MB))
  FileEnd

# Everything Else with quick defrag
  FileSelect
    all
  FileActions
    Defragment(Fast)
    FastFill()
  FileEnd

VolumeEnd
Some basic code I use on my partner's PC, should be simple enough to understand. This of course, is implying you still have a hard drive. If you've moved over to an SSD, there are various guides for windows to speeding it up and making sure it works properly. One of the biggest things you should note is that SSD's some space free in order to perform swap appropriately. You might also have TRIM deactivated or haven't had any Garbage Collection for a while, also a reason to cause slowdowns (slow texture loads from the drive).

Address these issues first, then come back if the problem still persists.

Since using Mod Organiser lets you use Wrye plus gives you unique magical powers over your mods, I suggest using that with wrye bash inside it (its worth it to swap over). There are tutorial videos by Deathneko that explain how to use MO effectively. Separate the downloads folder on MO from the actual directory and move your archives to a different drive. In fact keeping all of your skyrim working files on a different drive is important.

Posted Image

It's easy to quickly fill up space and create a LOT of fragmentation when working with skyrim (I just cleaned that folder too, used to be 210gb ;/). Especially with Wrye or NMM. MO helps this a lot by not shifting files unless you're extracting or deleting. After you've got all that setup, optimize everything, keep the DLC in BSA format but the standard textures as loose files, then defrag it all properly using the script i linked or similiar and then check to see if the stuttering still occurs.

If it does, you need to run GPU-z or something similiar and see if you're hitting the VRAM limit too closely. 1GB isnt much to work with, but farlo I believe only has a 1gb card and he runs everything just fine. Consider lowering view distance slightly, lower shadow resolution and then check again. Remember ENB uses up more VRAM as well. You might want to consider changing your AA method to SMAA which I believe uses less ram than 4x AA.

Hopefully that'll solve most of your issues.

I am stuttering on a 2GB GTX 670...

The GPU hits 0% then recovers every time I stutter, putting mine down to a bad card.

With missing textures the best I can suggest is to check your load order is correct.

will do, 

My partner's pc has 768mb of VRAM to work with and she plays skyrim @ 1080p with AA without a single stutter. The solution was making sure she's actually under the vram limit and proper defragmentation. It has nothing to do with which brand of card you're using to run skyrim. If AMD cards didn't play nice with skyrim, you'd see everyone complaining constantly about it.

This is the 3rd time i've linked this, but here's my tip for getting your system to stop stuttering from a defrag perspective:

Additionally and finally, something that most people ignore. If you're installing STEP from a hard drive, especially with Mod Organiser, you need to defrag it properly. My suggestion is to make the downloads folder in mod organiser a different directory (preferably different hard drive) and then defrag the Skyrim folder perfectly. One of the best ways to guarantee a perfect Defrag for your game directory is to download MyDefrag v4.3.1. It's just a little program with scripting that allows full control over the windows defrag engine.

Title('MyDefrag Game Optimizer')

RunScript('Settings.MyD')

VolumeSelect
    Name("D:")
VolumeActions

ReclaimNtfsReservedAreas()

# Lay MFT and other crap NTFS spews out
  FileSelect
    SelectNtfsSystemFiles(yes)
  FileActions
    PlaceNtfsSystemFiles(Ascending,MftSize * 0.1)
    AddGap(RoundUp(ZoneEnd,20MB))
  FileEnd

# Fix the Directories
  FileSelect
    Directory(yes)
  FileActions
    SortByName(Ascending)
    AddGap(RoundUp(ZoneEnd,100MB))
  FileEnd

# Defrag Fraps, Move to the start of the drive, in order of folder hierarchy
  FileSelect
    FullPath("D:\Fraps\*","*")
  FileActions
   SortBySize(Ascending)
  FileEnd

# FUS RUH DOH
  FileSelect
    FullPath("D:\Steam\*","*")
  FileActions
   SortBySize(Ascending)
   AddGap(RoundUp(ZoneEnd,15000MB))
  FileEnd

# Everything Else with quick defrag
  FileSelect
    all
  FileActions
    Defragment(Fast)
    FastFill()
  FileEnd

VolumeEnd

Some basic code I use on my partner's PC, should be simple enough to understand. This of course, is implying you still have a hard drive. If you've moved over to an SSD, there are various guides for windows to speeding it up and making sure it works properly. One of the biggest things you should note is that SSD's some space free in order to perform swap appropriately. You might also have TRIM deactivated or haven't had any Garbage Collection for a while, also a reason to cause slowdowns (slow texture loads from the drive).

Address these issues first, then come back if the problem still persists.

Since using Mod Organiser lets you use Wrye plus gives you unique magical powers over your mods, I suggest using that with wrye bash inside it (its worth it to swap over). There are tutorial videos by Deathneko that explain how to use MO effectively. Separate the downloads folder on MO from the actual directory and move your archives to a different drive. In fact keeping all of your skyrim working files on a different drive is important.

Posted Image

It's easy to quickly fill up space and create a LOT of fragmentation when working with skyrim (I just cleaned that folder too, used to be 210gb ;/). Especially with Wrye or NMM. MO helps this a lot by not shifting files unless you're extracting or deleting. After you've got all that setup, optimize everything, keep the DLC in BSA format but the standard textures as loose files, then defrag it all properly using the script i linked or similiar and then check to see if the stuttering still occurs.

If it does, you need to run GPU-z or something similiar and see if you're hitting the VRAM limit too closely. 1GB isnt much to work with, but farlo I believe only has a 1gb card and he runs everything just fine. Consider lowering view distance slightly, lower shadow resolution and then check again. Remember ENB uses up more VRAM as well. You might want to consider changing your AA method to SMAA which I believe uses less ram than 4x AA.

Hopefully that'll solve most of your issues.

thanks for the info, Il definitely try out your method..

i already made a seperate folder for my downloaded mods, and im still tinkering with the setting, how to activate smaa?

The GPU hits 0% then recovers every time I stutter, putting mine down to a bad card.

With missing textures the best I can suggest is to check your load order is correct.

i run boss for load order.. and i believe the texture problem  doesn't came from load order.. 

well for the miising texture, im gonna try put back the unoptimized bsa back in... maybe that is my problem :p

This is not a bad card. This is you not understanding what your card is doing.

When the stutter occurs your card is dumping its VRAM and trying to cache more from the hard drive. Your hard drive can only transfer files slowly to your graphics card. During the time of the stutter, no frames are being rendered (thus the stutter) and therefor your GPU hits 0% (since it's literally sitting there and waiting for the textures to fill into the ram).

It's VERY easy to hit 2gb of ram at a resolution of 1920x1080 while running AA and then other tweaks like increased shadows and ENB.

Read the guide, section 1.D, which you should've done to begin with, and start logging your GPU and ram usage. Optimize your textures, reduce where appropriate, download lower res versions of things and you'll have no problem playing the game on Ultra at 60fps constantly.

i already made a seperate folder for my downloaded mods, and im still tinkering with the setting, how to activate smaa?

Go to https://mrhaandi.blogspot.com.au/p/injectsmaa.html and download version 1.2. Drop the CONTENTS of the d3d9 folder inside your skyrim directory (4 files) and it'll just run.

If you're running ENB, it'll conflict, you'll need additional instructions. Google SMAA + ENB ;D

Go to https://mrhaandi.blogspot.com.au/p/injectsmaa.html and download version 1.2. Drop the CONTENTS of the d3d9 folder inside your skyrim directory (4 files) and it'll just run.

If you're running ENB, it'll conflict, you'll need additional instructions. Google SMAA + ENB ;D

I haven't used SMAA yet. How does it look compared to other AA methods and how much VRAM, if any, does it save?

If you can't say what exactly you've done that caused this issue you'll have to start all over again. If you know what you've done and redoing this doesn't work, google it, maybe somebody else encountered the same issue.

i think i screwed up when putting back the original texture and vanilla bsa, i accidently reactivate the optimized bsa in wyre bash when i anneal all ==. i already moved the optimized and deactivate them but the issue persist