BOSS reporting "dirty edits" on a clean Skyrim install

peppergomez

Question

Just installed and ran BOSS and in the Recognized Plugins it flags Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, and Dragonborn.esm as having "dirty edits" and tells me they need TES5Edit cleaning.

Since my install is vanilla so far, I am assuming that everyone gets these notifications from BOSS.

Do folks clean these three .esms using TES5Edit? Reading about the editing process, but thought i'd ask if there are any common or "must fix" aspects of the .esms that are standard for cleaning/removing.

(I notice the only version of TES5Edit on NexusMods is labeled "Experimental" which doesn't exactly feel me with confidence re: its stability. Installing it anyway.)

6 answers to this question

Yep everyone gets them, go ahead and clean them as recommended, it's very straightforward.

For Update.esm: Load Skyrim.esm and Update.esm, but only clean Update.esm.For Dawnguard.esm: Load Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, and Dawnguard.esm but only clean Dawnguard.esm.For Hearthfires.esm: Load Skyrim.esm and Hearthfires.esm but only clean Hearthfires.esm.

• Download TES5Edit.
  • Extract the downloaded archive to wherever you want.
  • Run the TES5Edit.exe file.
  • A dialog box appears listing all your installed plugins, with all currently active plugins ticked. Right-click anywhere in the list and pick "Select None".
  • Tick the boxes for the plugin you want to clean and for any of its implicit dependencies. You don't need to tick the boxes for its explicit dependencies as TES5Edit will automatically load them anyway.
  • Click "OK" in the dialog box.
  • A mod group dialog box may be displayed. Never tick any of the boxes in this dialog box when cleaning plugins. Click "OK" in the dialog box.
  • After the plugins have finished loading, right click the plugin you want to clean and select "Apply Filter For Cleaning".
  • Filtering will likely take a long time.
  • Right click on the plugin you are cleaning and pick “Remove "Identical to Master" recordsâ€.
  • Wait two seconds when the big warning message appears and click “Yes…â€.
  • The plugin name will turn bold if any dirty edits were found and removed. Check the Messages tab to see what was changed. Make a note of the number of ITM records removed for when reporting the plugin to the BOSS team.
  • Right click again on the plugin you are cleaning and select “Undelete and Disable References.†Again, check the Messages tab to see what was changed. Make a note of the number of undeleted and disabled references for when reporting the plugin to the BOSS team.
  • Try to close the program. If there were no dirty edits or deleted references found, the program will close immediately. Otherwise, a dialog box will be displayed, listing the plugin you cleaned.
  • Make sure that the checkbox for the plugin you cleaned is ticked, then click "OK". This will save the cleaned plugin. A backup of the plugin before cleaning is placed in your Data folder, with its file extension being the timestamp at which it was created.

OK, will do. Thanks. Watching Sharlikran's Youtube tutorial now.

In his TES5Edit tutorial video, Sharlikran recommends verifying the integrity of game cache. I did that in Steam and got "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired." I tried the process again and got the same result.

Is this significant and will it cause a problem with the TES5Edit cleaning process?

In his TES5Edit tutorial video, Sharlikran recommends verifying the integrity of game cache. I did that in Steam and got "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired." I tried the process again and got the same result.

Is this significant and will it cause a problem with the TES5Edit cleaning process?

Try using Gopher's tutorial if you're having trouble, it's a lot simpler and straightforward.

Everytime you verify the the integrity of game cache thru Steam AFTER cleaning already cleaning the files in TES5Edit STeam will try to redownload the cleaned files, so don't verify after cleaning.

Try using Gopher's tutorial if you're having trouble, it's a lot simpler and straightforward.

Everytime you verify the the integrity of game cache thru Steam AFTER cleaning already cleaning the files in TES5Edit STeam will try to redownload the cleaned files, so don't verify after cleaning.

... or just pack the cleaned esps in a zip archive and install last ;-)