Optimizing mods installed through WB

Farlo

Question

4 answers to this question

So I already have all my mods packaged up in WB but I want to go through and optimize them.  Is this possible without manually extracting each mod and then re-packaging it?

DDSopt will eventually add support for at least zip files (this is being currently tested with the beta version of BSAopt). Unfortunately DDSopt only handles loose files at the moment. If you are being fairly selective about which mods you optimize there might not be a lot of them you need to process especially if you don't need to use DDSopt to change the resolution of the texture files for many mods. Even if you want to use DDSopt to change the resolution of the normal maps there are only 5-10 STEP mods that seem to provide noticeable VRAM reduction with this technique.

So I already have all my mods packaged up in WB but I want to go through and optimize them.  Is this possible without manually extracting each mod and then re-packaging it?

DDSopt will eventually add support for at least zip files (this is being currently tested with the beta version of BSAopt). Unfortunately DDSopt only handles loose files at the moment. If you are being fairly selective about which mods you optimize there might not be a lot of them you need to process especially if you don't need to use DDSopt to change the resolution of the texture files for many mods. Even if you want to use DDSopt to change the resolution of the normal maps there are only 5-10 STEP mods that seem to provide noticeable VRAM reduction with this technique.

Does your table on the DDSopt guide show what effect there is?  If not, is there a list somewhere that says which need it?

The STEP Mods table has a list of effects from optimizing. If columns 2-5 are all no, then ignore optimizing it unless you need to make the texture smaller. Even if there is a Y in one of the columns you can decide whether optimizing is worth the effort, especially column 3. Mods with note 6 included are worth making reduced size normal maps.

Once I can login to the Wiki again I'll add some additional mods to the table and some material to the Normal Map tab.