Should I hold off on STEP install until patch 1.9 has been out for a few weeks?

peppergomez

Question

Was going to begin the install of the latest STEP, but then read about patch 1.9 being in beta. It looks like it offers a lot of fixes, so I'll install it once it's out of beta.

I imagine there will be the usual period of time when the mod community will need to make adjustments (Script Dragon, SKSE, unofficial patches).

Should I wait a few weeks or however long until this happens? As much as I want to resume playing a STEP Skyrim install, I don't want to begin only to have to reinstall a few weeks later.

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

As long as you're using WB or MO you won't need to re-install everything when the patch comes, you'll just need to update those specific mods, which shouldn't take much time at all. No one's sure if Steam will force the update on us or not, but if it does then you're stuck either way, so you might as well enjoy the game while you can. If memory serves the patch should be out in a couple weeks or so. As you said, once the update hits we'll need to wait for a new SKSE at least, I'm not sure what other mods may be affected.

OK, thanks.

Hopefully that will be the last Bethesda patch for awhile.

PS- Will MO (which is what I use) be able to tell when a mod becomes incompatible with the 1.9 patch, once Steam installs it?

Nope, the mod managers don't care what version you're using; they don't even pay attention to the files beyond name and folder structure.  Just make sure you have the Updates set to off in Steam and hopefully they won't force v1.9 on you. 

It depends. I'm kinda new to the modding scene so I'd feel more more comfortable waiting, but then again

A. I couldn't wait that long to play modded Skyrim

B. you'd be waiting forever if you wait for all modders to patch their mods

C. there's still gonna be little issues no matter what

Right. Re: waiting I had in mind the STEP guide. I would wait a few weeks if 1.9's release will cause several changes in the STEP guide, to avoid the risk that I would have to redo siginificant amounts of the STEP install process and/or start a new game.

I highly doubt v1.9 will cause any major shifts, maybe a couple removals or something like that.  I also doubt it will require a new save, none of the STEP mods are that intrusive (or at least shouldn't be).  It looks like SKSE was just updated for the Beta.  I'll be installing it tonight or tomorrow and start playing with it.