Problem with Sky UI installation through MO

SatyriconX

Question

For some reason Sky UI is not recognizing SKSE when I am installing it through MO's fomod installer.  I was wondering if I could simply create a new zip that just contains the esp and bsa for Sky UI and load it into MO that way.  Would this be a viable method of installing Sky UI or does it need the scripted fomod installation to work correctly?  If anyone can answer this, It'd be appreciated.  Thanks.

P.S. SKSE is installed correctly and is recognized by BOSS as well as everything else that utilizes it.  Only the Sky UI fomod gives me trouble.  I didn't see a loose files version of it on the nexus unfortunately.  

8 answers to this question

Thanks for the swift reply Farlo.  Do you recommend Wrye Bash over MO?  Or are you a masochist like the Compiler and install manually? lawl

I use WB, but it's ultimately up to personal preference.  I can't recommend installing manually even if you know what you're doing, there's just too much that can go wrong and there's no way to look at conflicts without looking at every archive side-by-side.  You also can't tell which mods are providing which files or easily test multiple mods without constantly re-installing a whole chunk of mods.  If TC still does everything manually I have no idea how he does it.

I experienced this as well but forgot what I did to resolve. I believe What was said is right in that if you start Skyrim then eventually MO will recognize SKSE. May have to do with MO looking for files created by SKSE only after it's ran through the game

Uhm, actually this is a non-issue and there's nothing at all to resolve (unless you botched installing SKSE): MO isn't looking for any SKSE files and can't actually manage SKSE or *SE plugins, due to the way MO's data virtualization works. To quote the author: "...you cannot install *se plugins in MO because *SE loads its plugin before MO even gets activated to create the virtual data-directory" and "Due to the way MO works the installer can't see SKSE. If the installer allows you to continue despite the error (SkyUI does), do that and the mod will work. If the installer doesn't you have to use a different installation mechanism (i.e. a manual installer)."

In a bit more detail: SkyUI's installer is scripted to look for a working SKSE setup upon installation. However since MO doesn't allow any mod to go looking around in any other mods' folders and thus keeps the external installer unaware of the contents of any other folder, SkyUI's installer gets grumpy because it can't detect SKSE, which of course is in the actual \data folder. If you simply continued with the installation process, as detailed above, everything in the SkyUI archive would be installed correctly anyway, and MO can run it as usual.

Actually the part where most people start having problems is they're not seeing the "continue anyway" popup; for some reason it starts minimised on the taskbar: most people don't expect it to happen that way, so there's been lots of panic on the Nexus thread that "SkyUI installation isn't working!" There's a video tutorial up now on how and what to expect when installing SkyUI and similar mods using MO available through the Nexus which explains in even more detail, but yeah, this is basically why.