Walls in Helgen Keep acting up

LynziRaeighn

Question

If I click default graphic settings it says I can use 'High' but unless I put it down to the lowest possible, the walls in Helgen flicker and the moss on them flashes and such.

I really don't think it's any of the mods I've put on so far. It was doing it when the yngol barrow button, appropriately dressed jarls, and argonian decapitation ones were installed but my flat mate didn't check if it was doing it in vanilla.

Could it be one of the ini tweaks that did it? I put most of them on except for the one that said it could cause clipping.

I'm assuming what is happening to the walls in Helgen is clipping, not z-fighting? i guess I should go remind myself what z-fighting is but any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. It was z-fighting. Fixed it now.

edit 2: ...or not? It worked and now it doesn't again.

edit 3: Hmm, so how I fixed it originally was by adding in the ini tweak I missed out. I went back to check (having added the interface key tweak mod between times) and those particular lines had reverted back to original. Unless it's because I messed with the graphics setting.

AGH. It wasn't fixed in the first place, I don't think, I must have been tripping.

I have no idea what's going on.

... don't think that is necessary. It's a form of z-fighting but nothing the "z-fighting-tweak" can do about. I guess that either you are using a tweak or control panel setting that's not recommended or that you've got a tweaked skyrimprefs.ini already and some settings there are not vanilla which causes this issue. I have had the flickering walls issue near whiterun. I'm still not 100%ly sure what your problem is. It might be fixed by this mod here: Distant Decal Fix https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31982

other than that... delete skyrimprefs.ini, skyrim.ini and rendererinfo.txt in your C:\User\Docs\My Games\Skyrim directory and launch the game via steam let it recreate those files, start a new game, see whether the same crap is happening again and report back.

Everything was an almighty mess anyway. Or at least, that's how I perceived it.

I'll see how it goes when Skyrim is installed again.

Then I'm going to go extra slow.

I had the distant decal fix installed and that didn't help.

It's really hard for me to explain the issue. I don't know all the terms.

Basically when turning my camera or walking up close to the walls in Helgen the moss on them goes all whacky. It flickers and sometimes covers the whole wall then goes back to what it should look like and then flickers weird again. It's very distracting.

Everything was an almighty mess anyway. Or at least, that's how I perceived it.

I'll see how it goes when Skyrim is installed again.

Then I'm going to go extra slow.

I had the distant decal fix installed and that didn't help.

It's really hard for me to explain the issue. I don't know all the terms.

Basically when turning my camera or walking up close to the walls in Helgen the moss on them goes all whacky. It flickers and sometimes covers the whole wall then goes back to what it should look like and then flickers weird again. It's very distracting.

could be artifacting. Have had similar issues when playing for a long time or overclocking!

I'm no expert so I'm just guessing but could it be that you are running out of vram? You could use a tool to monitor how much vram is being used. There is a mod that I have yet to try that is called moss rocks. If you are using that maybe it renders moss on the wall and it flickers, maybe because of low vram. This is just speculation but I'd try to monitor vram use and deactivate moss rocks.

Edit: I have also experienced flickering moss but on rocks. I have also experienced textures being black. Don't know if it's vram, enb or a lightning mod that causes this but restarting the game solved it.

There were hardly any mods installed at the time and I didn't have the moss rocks one.

I'm not sure it's a VRAM issue, having looked up what that is, but I'm not an expert either. I'll see how it goes for now since I decided to start over anyway.

Maybe it had something to do with the .ini tweaks.

Have you deleted you skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini and renderinfo.txt? have you set you CCC or Nvidia Inspector settings for skyrim to the default settings (controlled by Application)? Have you gotten any "global settings" applied which differ from the standard settings? Have you tested your graphic card with e.g. FurMark's Burn-In-Test?