Glow windows question

MisterMorden

Question

Are the glow window lod always arranged in a straight-sided cubic configuration?  I've noticed that when using the glow windows option, the Blue Palace lod has some floating glow windows where the rearward-angled windows near the top of the lod model are located (I'm sure that didn't come out right, so I've attached some pics of what I mean).  I don't have a screen shot atm, but I can get one tonight. 

https://imgur.com/a/y7MFmEu

As you can see in the linked example pics, the parts I've circles in red (full model and lod model) are at differing angles, the windows on the lod being slanted backward.  However my glow lod windows are all vertical (as the ones on the full model are) so they float a small distance in front of the angled back lod building's windows..if that makes any sense at all.  I was guessing that the mesh with the glow windows was just always arranged in a cubic grid so it wouldn't line up perfectly on buildings that had slanted sections such as the Blue Palace lod but I wanted to make sure I wasn't assuming incorrectly and just messing something up myself.  Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you! 

Edited by MisterMorden

4 answers to this question

As you can see the LOD model does not have the dormers. So their glow LOD windows which match the full model will seem to float in front of the LOD roof without the dormer.

Also, as already mentioned, the glow LOD windows are moved forward a bit to be outside the walls, because of large LOD models and to eliminate z-fighting.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sheson said:

Neither screenshot shows a glow LOD windows model. See https://dyndolod.info/Help/Glow-LOD#Windows

The LOD model is from a 3rd party mod.

The glow LOD models are made directly from the vanilla full models. On occasion the windows are moved forward to be "outside" a larger LOD model. Their rotation is never changed.

Yes, the images are just ones I grabbed from the hd lod nexus page as examples of what I was talking about.  Mine are generated solely with dyndolod 3.0

edit - I will get some screenshots of my actual game tonight.

Edited by MisterMorden

12 minutes ago, sheson said:

As you can see the LOD model does not have the dormers. So their glow LOD windows which match the full model will seem to float in front of the LOD roof without the dormer.

Also, as already mentioned, the glow LOD windows are moved forward a bit to be outside the walls, because of large LOD models and to eliminate z-fighting.

DORMER! That's the word I was looking for!  I understand now, sheson thanks a bunch.  I'm thinking about maybe removing the glow window on the couple buildings on which it bothers me in xedit.  I'll do some experimentation.  Much obliged.