The Cartographers Map Markers

moho25

There doesn't seem to be a thread posted for this mod, so I'm going to go ahead and start it.

The Cartographers Map Markers

This mod is currently on STEP's list, but seems to have over 200 dirty edits.  It also doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, so asking the mod author to clean it and reupload isn't an option.  I have used TES5Edit to clean the Skyrim Update/DLC files, but I am unclear at this point whether it is safe to clean this (or any mod) myself.  According to Gopher's tutorial, mod cleaning is best up to the author, and I am aware that certain mods will break if you clean them.

The logical alternative mod is Atlas Map Markers with Dragonborn and Dawnguard Addons, but this is a heavier mod that has at least 1 script file, so if folks are trying to avoid as many scripts as possible, they'd probably rather use Cartographers.  It should be noted that this mod is actively maintained and has markers for DG, DB, and Blackreach, plus it includes many vanilla locations that Cartographer does not.

Opinions?

As per Farlo:

For STEP v2.2.1 we're adding notes about which mods to clean, although it might not be complete.  The work-in-progress guide can be found here, and note that we have removed Cartographer's Map Markers.  If you find any other mods that need cleaning and aren't mentioned on the v2.2.1 guide please let us know so we can update it. 

I'm going to look into Atlas a bit more.  See if folks tend to have any problems with the included scripts.

Both opinions are based upon the fact that it is possible to cheat. By default it is balanced and works as vanilla with a ton of extra features. I really don't feel that's a fair or valid reason to reject a mod.

Said NPCs have also been removed in the latest versions as well and replaced with configuration books in the River wood trader but can still unlock all via that tool.

Both opinions are based upon the fact that it is possible to cheat. By default it is balanced and works as vanilla with a ton of extra features. I really don't feel that's a fair or valid reason to reject a mod.

Said NPCs have also been removed in the latest versions as well and replaced with configuration books in the River wood trader but can still unlock all via that tool.

Yes, I was looking at the configuration book in game and the default settings are quite nice.  Everything stays hidden until you discover it, just as in vanilla Skyrim, and if there is something you don't want to see, you don't need to have it displayed at all.  This to me is no different than any other UI-related mod, in that respect. No cheats are necessary. 

I'm not clear how the previous versions of the mod worked, but according to the mod webpage there don't seem to be any added  NPCs, nor do any of the vanilla NPCs sell "purchasable answers". A new version was posted just yesterday.

With Cartographer's abandoned (apparently) this does seem to be a very nice substitute, and STEP can provide a recommended configuration of "default".