Lods in EVT do not look like the billboard

Illuminate

Question

Hi Im new here and was wondering after installing DynDOLOD and EVT and its corresponding billboard, the lods do not look like the trees upclose.

So I read the manual and also in the nexus page document, I checked the dyndolod output and it was using the EVT billboard and also looked at all the dds and they were also using the EVT. However ingame the lods look like they were blurry and it wasnt a crisp 4k. I tried to save the tamrieltreelod without mipmap but the problem still persisted, for the fun of it I also made it uncompressed but that made me have an infinite loading screen after going outside even after doing the skse.ini fix.

I can show the screenshots after I finished work.

Edited by Illuminate

FAQ: Game: Tree LOD: LOD trees do not match close-up full model trees 

A: If the billboard tree LOD seems overly dark or bright, use the tree LOD brightness setting on the advanced options to account for lighting changes made by ENBs or weather mods. 

A: Doublecheck billboards and billboard load order. Open console, click on full model tree to get form id like 000185C7. Lookup this FormID top left in xEdit, bringing up the tree reference in the right pane. Find the form id of the 'NAME - Base', like TreeAspen01 [TREE:0006A9E6]. Search in Textures\Terrain\LODGen\ subfolders for files with that number, like TreeAspen01_0006A9E6.dds and TreeAspen01_0006A9E6.txt. Replace files with correct versions. 

A: The DynDOLOD log will print a detailed list for each tree which billboard (and 3D LOD model if applicable) it is using. Use the base form id like 0006A9E6 to easily find the entries in the log. 

A: Find better matching billboards for the tree mods or create them. See this video

If a billboard does not match the close up tree at all, the wrong billboard for a tree is installed. Verify with the mod author/discussion forum the mod was installed correctly.

Edited by sheson

I did look up the dyndolod lod and it was using the srg_pineforest. I installed Indistinguishable Vanilla Tree Billboards, EVT, its billboard (mirrored the choicest in the EVT) and the Dyndolod

How do I do the 2nd A? Do I replace the inside of dyndolod output trees with the EVT dds? Or do I replace the vanilla dds in skyrim?

(Im using mo2)

I did look up the dyndolod lod and it was using the srg_pineforest. I installed Indistinguishable Vanilla Tree Billboards, EVT, its billboard (mirrored the choicest in the EVT) and the Dyndolod

So you looked a billboard texture filename, but that does not really tell you if its image matches the tree model.

How do I do the 2nd A? Do I replace the inside of dyndolod output trees with the EVT dds? Or do I replace the vanilla dds in skyrim?

You already seem to have found the billboard texture filename from the log.

Open the billbpard texture in an image viewer. Open the model nif in NifSkope. It should visually match. If not replace the billboard texture with the correct one for the full model.

DynDOLOD does not generate billboards, it generates tree LOD with them. The DynDOLOD output contains the generated tree and object LOD. Nothing should ever overwrite or replace it.

Edited by sheson

Make sure the billboard texture that you are checking is not overwritten by other mods later.

Make sure the billboard texture made it onto the generated tree LOD texture atlas textures\terrain\tamriel\trees\tamrieltreelod.dds in the DynDOLOD output folder.

Make sure the output is installed properly and nothing overwrites any of its files.

Of course there is a tamrieltreelod.dds in the DynDLOD output folder if tree LOD generation was selected in the options.

The term "bottom" doesn't mean anything, especially when using list views that can be sorted by different means or in reverse.

Use the appropriate mod manager tools to verify overwrite order of conflicting files. To check if the correct billboard(s) made it onto the tree LOD texture atlas, open the atlas in an image viewer. There should be an exact copy of the correct billboard(s) textures you said do look exactly like the full model trees.

Edited by sheson

The second img URL shows a bunch of textures, which I have no idea what they are supposed to show. 

If you have verified, that the correct billboard exist in the load order for its full model and that it is not overwritten by any other files and that this billboard is on the tree LOD atlas that is generated by DynDOLOD and that this tree LOD atlas is used in game, then the LOD for that tree has to match.

If the wrong LOD shows for a tree in the game, then it is one of those things where the problem is.

You might want to make screenshots of a LOD tree and its full model in the game.

Edited by sheson