Dyndolod ignoring a tree?

vrnord

Question

I have a tree popping in around Morthal, used the console to pinpoint which one it is in Xedit.  It doesn't show up in the Dyndolod log at all, and in Xedit Dyndolod doesn't overwrite the tree record like it does with all the other trees!  Do I need to flag it in some way so Dyndolod gives it a LOD?

For the record, it is Treepineforest02dead 000b927b.

4 answers to this question

If a individual tree has no LOD it is because a billboard is not installed for it or there is a technical reason. 

The form ID you provided is not a tree reference, but a tree type that is used two hundreds times in Tamriel.

The log should certainly list if it found a billboard or not for Treepineforest02dead, something like

TreePineForest02Dead [TREE:000B927B] meshes\landscape\trees\treepineforestdead02.nif
Billboard found, 3D LOD found 
LOD4: meshes\dyndolod\lod\trees\treepineforestdead02passthru_lod.nif
LOD8: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestdead02_000b927b.dds using internal
LOD16: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforestdead02_000b927b.dds using internal

I know that's what is so weird - I use that output log religiously to ensure all billboards and static lods are being found, and Treepineforest02dead isn't even listed in log.  Neither is the name of the mesh.  Which explains why every instance of that tree pops in.  I and going to try to create a separate rule for that mesh and see if it finds it then.

Update: adding the separate rule for that mesh worked.  :)

Question: is there a way to anticipate the 8-digit code used in 3d static tree lods?  Like dlc1treepineshortheavysnow_5761FDF4passthru_lod.  Sometimes I have to run Dyndolod twice so the first time the log will tell me what code it is actually looking for (and didn't find); then I rename the mesh and it works on the second run.  But there must be an easier way I haven't figured out?

Edited by vrnord

You do not need to add specific rules if the LOD assets with the correct filenames exist in the load order.

It seems you do not have a billboard treepineforestdead02_000b927b.dds installed for the vanilla tree.

The CRC32 of the full model is used for the matching 3D LOD model filename. It is all explained in the included manual docs\trees.ultra\tools\DynDOLOD_CreateStaticTree.html