Supporting programs

LynziRaeighn

Question

BOSS v2.1.1 Archive.7z  BOSS v2.1.1 Archive   

BOSS v2.1.1 Installer.exe  BOSS v2.1.1 Installer  

^which do I download? Do I download both? What do I do with the archive?

Script extender and the Mod organiser's update: How do I install these? I'm so confused and getting angry. At first they told me I needed a PDF reader, but none of the PDF readers I downloaded could open them. Now it seems 7zip opens them but I have no idea what to do from there. 

15 answers to this question

Just get the Installer, that should set itself up easier.

Where did it say you needed a PDF reader to open SKSE, it's an archive (compressed file) and should be opened via 7zip. As for installation instrcutions, Neovalen has you do it partially manually and partial via MO, but I can't remember what to do specifically. With either MO or WB I simply install SKSE manually by following the readme. This is the simplest method, and assuming you can follow the instructions, shouldn't result in any issues.

I downloaded Wrye Bash already, I thought Mod Organiser was a supplement? Do I only need one?

To be absolutely honest, all these programs are confusing me. Maybe I'm not cut out for mods.

Thanks for explaining it, Farlo. I'll try again later when I'm not so grouchy.

You only need one and Wrye Bash is the STEP recommended. You normally don't have to extract the archives with WB, but sometimes you'll have to in order to reorganize them so WB can install them. There IS a bit of a learning curve but once you get it down it's super easy. Always fall back the our guides if you have trouble and ask if there is something you don't understand. We're a nice bunch around here! :D

I don't know why Farlo is talking about SKSE.... :?

Read the bolded bit in the OP's second paragraph.

I downloaded Wrye Bash already, I thought Mod Organiser was a supplement? Do I only need one?

To be absolutely honest, all these programs are confusing me. Maybe I'm not cut out for mods.

Thanks for explaining it, Farlo. I'll try again later when I'm not so grouchy.

Wrye Bash and Mod Organizer are both different (although similar) means to the same end.  Mod Organizer has a much simpler interface for normal use, and I hear it's gotten even better recently.  I'm currently using WB because I like the conflict view better, but it's almost down to personal preference at this point.  The one thing WB does that MO can't is a Bashed Patch, which is unnecessary for STEP at this point, and even then you can make them work together when you do need it.  Either way I suggest you pick one and learn to use it well.

I'll stick to Wrye Bash then.

So, apart from Wrye Bash and SKSE, am I likely to need any of the other programs? I've tried reading as much as I can find on the guide and I've looked at the mod descriptions themselves but there's a lot of it I really don't understand yet. It's like staring at a sea of numbers to me, and I seem mildly dyscalculic so... yeah.

Side note: that's me put on SKSE now, hurray.

You'll also need BOSS, which sorts your ESP/Ms based on some kind of voodoo magic (priority system) to make everything run better. Once it's installed you just run it whenever you add or remove an ESP and it will sort them for you.

Maybe the utilities need to be sorted into groups so when one installation tool is decided on you can know which other utilities will compliment that chosen tool. Too many choices are confusing for noobies, and it's not necessary to learn all the different tool options, just the ones needed to start S.T.E.P'n

I would say that since WB and MO are set as "Core" then it would be confusing to new modders; thinking they need both...as this is the definition of core (install them all). We just need to add a note to WB and MO saying to only choose ONE.

Technically if using MO you want both so you can make patches.

I would say that since WB and MO are set as "Core" then it would be confusing to new modders; thinking they need both...as this is the definition of core (install them all). We just need to add a note to WB and MO saying to only choose ONE.

Technically if using MO you want both so you can make patches.

True, but like Farlo stated, STEP is not at this point currently to require the use of patches; thus only requiring one and not both. Newcomers that don't really know or understand what the programs are will be confused...like this thread points out.

That's exactly why I got confused.