LOOT wont run?

Tykune

Question

I was going through the STEP Guide and I ran LOOT earlier through MO, and it seemed to work fine. I then started downloading and installing mods, but when I got towards the end, I tried to open LOOT to adjust some metadata... and it doesn't seem to open. It brings up the message that my MO is being locked, but after a few seconds it just unlocks and LOOT doesn't come up. Opening LOOT outside of MO brings it up just fine, and it is definitely set up properly in MO as an executable.

Looking through ModOrganizer.log, it shows all of my mods being read and indexed, but somewhere in there I get a message saying "Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" (77d26d79). Last hooked call:"

That error is listed twice in a row and then some mods being indexed afterwards, but it doesn't seem to get through indexing all the mods.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Edited by Tykune

If you are calling LOOT from within MO, and you have everything configured correctly, then it is looking at the mods that are active in the profile. You should have no mods installed directly in the Skyrim 'Data' folder so it makes no difference.

Looking at your MO INI again and the settings are still of concern to me. Aside from it being truncated, you only have this as your LOOT entries:

4\title=LOOT
4\custom=false
4\toolbar=false
4\ownicon=false

Whereas it should be pointing to the actual folder and executable where LOOT is installed, like mine:

9\title=LOOT
9\custom=true
9\toolbar=true
9\ownicon=true
9\binary=D:/Games/Utils/LOOT/LOOT.exe
9\arguments="--game=Skyrim"
9\workingDirectory=
9\closeOnStart=false
9\steamAppID=

NB. The 'Arguments' entry in mine is just because I use LOOT for multiple games and that tells LOOT to run as the Skyrim version.

The entry in question is 'Binary'. You have to explicitly enter the details to show where LOOT is so MO can run it. Which leads me to ask: How have you been using LOOT up to this point? Are you using MO's builtin version or have you installed LOOT into the stripped down MO LOOT folder? Either way is not what the STEP guide directs.

Don't know if this has any bearing, but I've had issues running LOOT in MO before, with that same behavior... The problem for me was always that if I had run LOOT on another game, but not set the MO arguments up properly, or had switched around settings with LOOT and multiple games.  The solution was to delete the LOOT folder in C/Users/'username'/AppData/Local... this will also dump any user created metadata though I believe, so beware.

If you are calling LOOT from within MO, and you have everything configured correctly, then it is looking at the mods that are active in the profile. You should have no mods installed directly in the Skyrim 'Data' folder so it makes no difference.

Looking at your MO INI again and the settings are still of concern to me. Aside from it being truncated, you only have this as your LOOT entries:

4\title=LOOT
4\custom=false
4\toolbar=false
4\ownicon=false

Whereas it should be pointing to the actual folder and executable where LOOT is installed, like mine:

9\title=LOOT
9\custom=true
9\toolbar=true
9\ownicon=true
9\binary=D:/Games/Utils/LOOT/LOOT.exe
9\arguments="--game=Skyrim"
9\workingDirectory=
9\closeOnStart=false
9\steamAppID=

NB. The 'Arguments' entry in mine is just because I use LOOT for multiple games and that tells LOOT to run as the Skyrim version.

The entry in question is 'Binary'. You have to explicitly enter the details to show where LOOT is so MO can run it. Which leads me to ask: How have you been using LOOT up to this point? Are you using MO's builtin version or have you installed LOOT into the stripped down MO LOOT folder? Either way is not what the STEP guide directs.

I checked ModOrganizer.ini and right now it is showing:

4/title=LOOT

4/custom=true

4/toolbar=false

4/ownicon=false

4/binary=C:/Users/(Name)/Desktop/LOOT/LOOT.exe

4/arguments=

4/workingDirectory=

4/closeOnStart=false

4/steamAppID=

I have uninstalled it a few times to see if I could get it running, so it probably didn't catch it when I ran it again. But that is what it shows for me right now. (I replaced my account name with (name)). I have used MO's built in sort after replacing it with LOOT's GUI up-to-date version just so I could get the mods mainly sorted since the former route was failing on me, but other than that running LOOT through MO just doesn't seem to wanna work, and I need it to work so I can clean mods and make sure everything is in working order.

Edited by Tykune

Ok so at least we know you are running the external LOOT. First thing you should do is create a dedicated folder for all your game utilities like you see in my settings. This keeps everything in order and it is far easier to move or update these tools when you have them all close together. This will also remove the tool from your desktop. Generally a bad habit to get into is running executables from the desktop, especially ones that aren't self-contained single files.

Now I'm assuming you are using the latest versions of both MO and LOOT. If so that is good but we might have an issue with LOOT's settings files. Earlier versions changed the format of the *.yaml files used and this meant if you ran MO's internal tool and then the external LOOT those files sometimes got broken. Easy fix though, just delete them and run the tool again. They are found in the LOOT folder in your 'AppData' folder. This is a hidden Windows folder so you may need to change settings in Windows to find it.

Just to clarify something, it isn't recommended to install the LOOT into the MO folder of the same name, keep that just for MO's internal version. It can be done, but I strongly suggest NOT doing so.

Ok so at least we know you are running the external LOOT. First thing you should do is create a dedicated folder for all your game utilities like you see in my settings. This keeps everything in order and it is far easier to move or update these tools when you have them all close together. This will also remove the tool from your desktop. Generally a bad habit to get into is running executables from the desktop, especially ones that aren't self-contained single files.

Now I'm assuming you are using the latest versions of both MO and LOOT. If so that is good but we might have an issue with LOOT's settings files. Earlier versions changed the format of the *.yaml files used and this meant if you ran MO's internal tool and then the external LOOT those files sometimes got broken. Easy fix though, just delete them and run the tool again. They are found in the LOOT folder in your 'AppData' folder. This is a hidden Windows folder so you may need to change settings in Windows to find it.

Just to clarify something, it isn't recommended to install the LOOT into the MO folder of the same name, keep that just for MO's internal version. It can be done, but I strongly suggest NOT doing so.

I moved all of the files to their own Utilities folder and out of the way. I deleted all of the settings, files, and folders in the LOOT folder in %appdata%, then started LOOT back up on it's own to retrieve the masterlist data. I launched MO and changed the binary to the correct location and then I tried to launch it through MO, but it still refuses to work. Got anything else to try?

Edited by Tykune

According to your logs you're still getting those Windows exceptions:

INFO (21:07:43.0642): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" (77d3dc0e). Last hooked call: 
INFO (21:07:43.0642): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" (77d26d79). Last hooked call: 

Try running update on your Windows system and perhaps checking your graphics drivers. Aside from that I'm close to being out of ideas. Sorry I can't be more definitive in what's wrong.

C0000005 is an access violation exception so you might try a stab in the dark by disabling your anti-virus software temporarily to see if this is causing it. If you don't get any luck with this, run a command prompt as an administrator and enter this command:

sfc /scannow

This will scan all Windows components to and replace any that are missing or corrupt.

EDIT: Before running sfc /scannow, go into Control Panel, System, System Protection. Click the Advanced tab and click the Settings button in the Performance section. When the Performance Options options, click the Data Execution Prevention tab. Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only and click OK. I'm just thinking Data Execution Prevention might be preventing Mod Organizer or LOOT from writing to "protected memory" so it's worth a shot.

According to your logs you're still getting those Windows exceptions:

INFO (21:07:43.0642): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" (77d3dc0e). Last hooked call: 
INFO (21:07:43.0642): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" (77d26d79). Last hooked call: 

Try running update on your Windows system and perhaps checking your graphics drivers. Aside from that I'm close to being out of ideas. Sorry I can't be more definitive in what's wrong.

I had already tried running windows update and the graphics card is working perfectly fine. I am running out of ideas myself :(

C0000005 is an access violation exception so you might try a stab in the dark by disabling your anti-virus software temporarily to see if this is causing it. If you don't get any luck with this, run a command prompt as an administrator and enter this command:

sfc /scannow

This will scan all Windows components to and replace any that are missing or corrupt.

EDIT: Before running sfc /scannow, go into Control Panel, System, System Protection. Click the Advanced tab and click the Settings button in the Performance section. When the Performance Options options, click the Data Execution Prevention tab. Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only and click OK. I'm just thinking Data Execution Prevention might be preventing Mod Organizer or LOOT from writing to "protected memory" so it's worth a shot.

I went to the Data Execution Prevention tab and that option was already checked, so that may not be it. I am running sfc now to see if anything is up, but I don't suspect it to be the case. This desktop is brand spanking new. It may be worth mentioning, but I am on Windows 10.

Update: SFC found a corrupted file and repaired it, but after attempting to launch LOOT through MO, it still failed. I am out of ideas :(

Edited by Tykune