SR:LE + Extended + Legacy of the Dragonborn (minus Survival Immersion mods)

JUNKdeLUXE

Question

so...

I'm about to start this beast again. I've done it a year ago and although I had some problems I had to xEdit my way out of, in the end it worked fine, but I've had to reinstall my pc so there...

Neovalen says on his install instructions that the guide updates several times a week (great that so much work is done on it). What worries me though is that it can make it hard to follow.

Let's say that I've reached step 4.5.3 and Neovalen updates his symposium and changes something in 4.4.2 that might have repurcussions throughout the install process then I would have to start all over again.

1) How do I combat this? When I installed it earlier I made a copy of the website but it had it's problems.

Secondly.. Textures, ENB etc. I want my Skyrim to look as good as possible for my system while still running extremely smooth. I don't mind a few places with sub 60 FPS, but I would absolutely hate extreme fps drops, stuttering, lag etc.

2) What kind of texture size and ENB preset would you recommend? Keep in mind that I'm gaming on Win 10 (can't utilize all of my VRAM  :>:(: ) and I'm gaming in 1080P (1680 + 1050).

Thanks in advance :P

Edited by JUNKdeLUXE

11 answers to this question

I would make a fake mod in  the left pane of MO, calling it Skyrim Revisited (Date and time go here). Than every time you work on your install refer to this date in the history pages. You will have to be logged into the wiki to view these. I also think Neo has a link in his guide for this.

Anything I should have in mind when doing the SR:LE install and I'm skipping the immersion survival stuff? (I hate having to eat, drink sleep etc when the game tells me to).

Would I still be able to use the patches etc. or do I have to build my own, edit i xEdit etc?

I'm working on much the same project, though i'm starting with SRLE Extended rather than plain SRLE.   Things I can tell you right off the bat:

1.  You don't need to entirely roll your own conflict resolution patch; you can start with SR's.  The 'Report Masters' xEdit script is your friend here.  First off, if using MO, copy your SR Conflict Resolution mod into it's own folder; don't edit the original.   Then, in TES5Edit, click on SR Conflict Resolution.esp, run script, select 'Report Masters', then click on whatever esp you want to remove from your load order.  It will give you a list of references to that esp, which you can then remove by hand.  Remember to 'Clean Masters' on the header of the CR patch afterwards, then 'Check for Errors' before saving, because 'Clean Masters' can sometimes screw up some records, which then need to be repaired by hand.  It's still *way* faster than building your own CR patch from scratch.

2. The only mod that I know you'll definitely need to remove from SR Conflict Resolution is 'Book Covers Skyrim', as it is incorporated into LotE.

3.  If you are adding any other mods, be wary of your String count - a recently-discovered engine limitation that is discussed on https://forum.step-project.com/topic/10257-srle-extended-string-count-testing/ and https://www.loverslab.com/topic/56588-corrupted-saves/page-1.  THE TLDR version is that the Skyrim engine is limited to 64K strings from mods, and going over causes unloadable saves.  A full SRLEE install uses up ~ 56K strings, running the game adds ~3K over time, and LotD adds another 3500, so SRLE + LotD is pushing the limit, which means you have to be careful.

Generally, strings are added by scripts in quests and MCM menus, so watch it if you're adding those kind of mods.  Vilja, Anna PCs, Morskom,  Helgen Reborn, Interesting NPCs, and SexLab are particularly heavy string users.  Unpatched DynDOLOD is also a *huge* string hog (thousands), but this can be fixed by using the Sheson's patched 1.48 scripts (not yet on the Nexus, but posted by him at https://www.loverslab.com/topic/56588-corrupted-saves/?p=1486558), which pretty much eliminate DynDOLOD's string usage.

Hope that helps!

-- Galen

Edited by GalenZ
  • +1 1

Thanks for the insights...

I'm surprised that you would be able to have a "stable" game with SR:LE Extended AND Legacy (LotD) due to string bloat? I though it would be impossible?

I'm almost done with SR:LE install and I've skipped Bathing in Skyrim, iNeed and Frostfall (that playstyle is not for me) - I hope that I would be able to install a full LotD setup with all supported mods.. time will tell :S

I'm surprised that you would be able to have a "stable" game with SR:LE Extended AND Legacy (LotD) due to string bloat? I though it would be impossible?

Nothing is impossible to a man impervious to reason. :)

I didn't say that I'd *done* it yet.  However, preliminary testing says I can get the numbers to work if I'm careful, and take out a few things.  LotD already contains BCS (372) and Moonpath (98), I don't really want Morskom (742), Holidays (217) isn't a loss, I don't like Aurora (97), and I never use Better Fast Travel (231) - which, together, save me over 1700 strings.   That brings my base SRLEE load to under 54000, so with LotD, I'm only up to 57500.

Reports of a few people's long-term playthroughs suggest that they gained < 3000 strings over extended play, which means that if I allocate a working buffer of 50% more (4500), my limit should be about 61000 strings.  By that count, I still have 3500 more strings to play with, which I plan to fill up with Anna NPCs (1700), Hunterborn (500), Moon and Star (315), Summerset Isles (575), and a few other quests and dungeons and such that aren't very string-heavy.

Once I get things working, I'll post my build and play experiences.

-- Galen

so...

I'm about to start this beast again. I've done it a year ago and although I had some problems I had to xEdit my way out of, in the end it worked fine, but I've had to reinstall my pc so there...

Neovalen says on his install instructions that the guide updates several times a week (great that so much work is done on it). What worries me though is that it can make it hard to follow.

Let's say that I've reached step 4.5.3 and Neovalen updates his symposium and changes something in 4.4.2 that might have repurcussions throughout the install process then I would have to start all over again.

1) How do I combat this? When I installed it earlier I made a copy of the website but it had it's problems.

Secondly.. Textures, ENB etc. I want my Skyrim to look as good as possible for my system while still running extremely smooth. I don't mind a few places with sub 60 FPS, but I would absolutely hate extreme fps drops, stuttering, lag etc.

2) What kind of texture size and ENB preset would you recommend? Keep in mind that I'm gaming on Win 10 (can't utilize all of my VRAM  :>:(: ) and I'm gaming in 1080P (1680 + 1050).

Thanks in advance :P

Just to answer your question about how to keep up with changes to the guide I usually use the history option BUT I go to the most recent change then save that as a favorite link.  That way if any further changes are made when I goto the link I'll see a "new edit" link in top right and I know there are further changes to be made.  I've just finished my install so I'll make a history favorite then every now and then work forward from this updating mods/making changes as necessary until I'm either fed up and want to stop or get to the end.  then I'll make a new link and delete the original.  It's worked pretty well for me.  If i'ts a change to some wording or something within the instructions for a mod where it's not very clear what it's referring to I'll tend to open up the current guide and just do a search for a key word from the change and work it out from there. After a while you get a feel for reading it.

For example below is the current most recent change and it's what I've got as my favourite.

https://wiki.step-project.com/index.php?title=User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition&diff=next&oldid=74159

Hopefully that makes sense...

Just to answer your question about how to keep up with changes to the guide I usually use the history option BUT I go to the most recent change then save that as a favorite link.  That way if any further changes are made when I goto the link I'll see a "new edit" link in top right and I know there are further changes to be made.  I've just finished my install so I'll make a history favorite then every now and then work forward from this updating mods/making changes as necessary until I'm either fed up and want to stop or get to the end.  then I'll make a new link and delete the original.  It's worked pretty well for me.  If i'ts a change to some wording or something within the instructions for a mod where it's not very clear what it's referring to I'll tend to open up the current guide and just do a search for a key word from the change and work it out from there. After a while you get a feel for reading it.

For example below is the current most recent change and it's what I've got as my favourite.

https://wiki.step-project.com/index.php?title=User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition&diff=next&oldid=74159

Hopefully that makes sense...

Your thinking is good but will be a pain to see intermediate changes to the same lines in the guide since you go one edit at a time.

What i do is edit the favorite name in bookmarks and add the last date and time when i changed as per the guide and when something new adds i list all the changes through history. This was the intermediate changes won't show and i don't have to change the same thing twice.