Will a switch to a 34" monitor destroy my VRAM?

NordPride_WorldWide

Question

11 answers to this question

It is only a modest increase in resolution, so I would doubt it would be a major issue. The problem is in fps first and then memory later. Ofc. it will depend a bit on which sort of post processing you are doing etc. The more of that you do, the more it will matter. But the game on its own would not be a cause for concern. 

I've been away for many months and now caught the bug to start in again .. (start over).  Past experience with SR:LE has been mixed.  Perhaps because I was running three monitors in PLP mode (portrait, landscape, portrait), (1200x1600, 2560x1600, 1200x1600) with SoftTH software.  I finally had to lower resolution to get it to run (from 5372x1622 to 3683x1112 .. odd sizes to compensate for different monitor dpi).

After countless hours (testing after every few mods) I was done.  Finally I could play.  At least I thought.  Something got corrupted during last few mod installs making game unplayable! 

Anyway, now I have three 2560x1600 monitors running in Surround (single Nvidia 680 2g card).  I plan to upgrade to "Pascal" , nvidias next gen GPU when it comes out but for now I'll need to make do.  I suspect I'll have less trouble without SoftTH .. but also suspect I'll need to lower resolution.  I did a quick test with basic game at 8130x1600 (!)  And it's amazing, and runs at acceptable FPS.  I plan to run at 4065x800 (or 3/4 pixels as one 2560x1600 monitor) ...

So, anyone have any thoughts (besides I'm nuts) before I dive in again?

Other that you are nuts then not really! :D 

Skyrim was not really made for 3 monitor stuff (In my humble opinion then anything other than simulator games is kinda ... weird in a three monitor setup.) Also I am sure there are some ENB related issues with multi monitor setups. But we do not really know for sure until someone tries! 

Considering the cost etc, there are not many people around these parts who have been experimenting with those setups, but I am sure you would be able to borrow quite a few pointers etc, from the simulator communities, since those setups are more common there. 

I've had pretty good success considering.  Performance is the issue which leads to instability.  That's to be expected and I won't give up.  It just looks too good!  Smaller 3 monitor setups (say 1080 or even 1440 vertical) would be "no problem" ... and I I hope with an even beefier vid card I will manage. 

Anyway .. wish me luck!