files with strange symbol names being generated in my skyrim folder

bitstream5

Question

i am betraying my ignorance here certainly. I just returned to modding skyrim and along with the windows 10 issues i noticed that stragely named files seem to be propagating in my skyrim folder. i think they are created when i crash (alot of freezes lately, which is what i was working on when i noticed this).

the file names are strange symbols (non-standard key symbols maybe). are these log files of some sort? papyrus? (i installed papyrus per step but have never used it) sorry to waster space here if the answer is simple.

i did a fresh install of skyrim and deleted them all but they are appearing again.

thanks in advance.

i am at work (working hard :) ) so i cannot post any pics or files right now. i tried to come up with a topic title that used my search terms so maybe someone else would find this if they needed it too.

4 answers to this question

That is odd. I would concur with GrantSP to really triple-check if it is some sort of virus or malware. If it ever does come back, try following this and see if it helps: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/malware-removal-guide-for-windows/

It is usually overkill, yes, but I have completely cleaned computers that others thought unsalvageable (thousands of malware hits) using the steps in that guide.

They are not papyrus logs, as these are saved in an entirely different location. At first reading I will also say they aren't any other logs generated by some mods. Those are usually found in the Skyrim folder but will have a *.log extension. Do you have Windows set to show the file extensions? You should, it makes things a lot easier to diagnose.

The fact you mention a fresh install of Skyrim and yet they keep appearing worries me. I would do a thorough check of your system for both viruses and malware, just to be sure!

thanks for your response. i ran antivirus and malware bytes but nothing was found. funny that after cleaning it all out again, reinstalling most my mods, reinstalling skse, wrye bash, etc etc pretty much everything last night it appears to have stopped (and my game stabilized to boot).  i also did a windows 10 refresh just to be sure.

will be keeping an eye on it and report back if i find anything else. no clue what it is/was. the files are usually 27kb and just named "file". the file names appear totally random and usually are strange symbols but some were "shift numeral" symbols if i recall correctly.