MO for FO3 won't log in, cookies seem to be invalid

SergeTroy

Question

So, I'm not exactly sure what happened.  Yesterday, I was tightening up my passwords across the board and realized it had been over a year since I'd updated my Nexus Mods password.  I updated that with no real issue, considering that I'm able to login to the site with the password and username I have on file.  To also clarify, I have only updated the password, the username remains the same.  I have not updated any password on STEP.  I have also made sure NMM is up to date at 0.61.4, and made sure to update the password in there as well.  I think I actually updated the password for Nexus on MO first (because it's the mod manager I actually use, I didn't even think of NMM.  Now, with everything up to date, when I launch Mod Organizer for Fallout 3 the 'chat' window says, "cookies seem to be invalid," it doesn't recognize that I'm a premium member in good status, and I am not "(not logged in)". 

This doesn't seem to affect my ability to just launch Fallout 3 (FOSE) with my current profiles through MO, but it really does throw me for a loop.  Mod Organizer is up to date at 1.3.11, all of the mods are up to date.  I sincerely do not understand what is going on that is causing this.  If anyone can help me figure this out (okay, TELL me, honestly :D), I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Try clicking the button regarding Nexus links in the MO settings again. For some reason MO stopped recognizing my Nexus login when checking for updates (it still showed me logged in, though, but the update check would fail).

Clicking the button again (even though I already had earlier) fixed it for me.

• +1 1

Try clicking the button regarding Nexus links in the MO settings again. For some reason MO stopped recognizing my Nexus login when checking for updates (it still showed me logged in, though, but the update check would fail).

Clicking the button again (even though I already had earlier) fixed it for me.

Hey Nebulous112, thanks for the reply!  Yeah, I thought of that, too.  I actually went so far as to do it before and after a reboot of the machine.  Also, double checked (clicked) on the <Associate with "Download with manager" links> button in Settings.  Double confirmed the user name and password via copy'n'paste.  It's still giving the same message.

The one thing that I can think of is that I pretty routinely wipe out all my browser history (browsing history, cache, cookies, download history, form, etc).  When I did a google proxy of the issue with only the "Cookies seem to be invalid" a few hits mentioned that Tannin had needed to update MO due to a URL change or something on the Nexus.  I suppose that could have happened, but it's odd no one else would be as weird about constantly sweeping their browser as I am.

Shut down MO and use Windows file explorer to go into the  ModOrganizer\webcache folder and delete the files and folders there. Restart MO and you should now be able to log in with the new info.

Hey GSDFan!  Did what you said and it did provide some benefit; the "Cookies seem to be invalid" message in the log window has disappeared, it otherwise implies everything seems to be fine (e.g. "interface Local Area Connection seems to be up ('gives the address')"), but I'm still showing as "(not logged in)" on the overhead bar, and there's nothing about my Nexus Credentials (I'm 'FearlessFelix' on the Nexus, and I could have sworn it usually said something about either how that would be confirmed, or something on the premium part).  Honestly, it's just REALLY weird.  I think I'm what I'm going to do is this:

1. I'm going to delete the Password & Username currently listed in MO's Nexus Settings, uncheck the "Automatically Log-in to Nexus" box, and repeat the process of A. backing up the current contents and then B. deleting the MO Web Cache folder contents.
  2. Next, I'm going to once again change my nexus password.  Last time I had to make use of the forgot password option because the change I thought I put in place didn't take and I forgot the original.  I have no idea if that screwed things up.
  3. Once the password is updated and I've got it down, I'm going to clean sweep everything in my browser, just like I normally do and have done in the past.  Cause I'm paranoid and weird.
  4. Run what I consider to be a full clean sweep on the computer (utilities for keeping system smooth and clean, anti-malware and anti-virus stuff), and then reboot.
  5. When I restart, launch Steam first.  I always wonder if that matters; I understand it SHOULDN'T but I have no real tech knowledge so magical thinking for the win/loss.  Load up NMM and get the pw in the manager updated.  Launch my browser and make sure I'm logged into the Nexus.  Confirm the Web Cache folder is still empty; launch MO and pray there's some weird bug that somehow sorted itself out in this process.  :wallbash:

Again, it's not like there's really a problem per se, it's just so darned weird to have lot that "logged in" status and not see account credentials confirmed or whatever in the MO main window.  And yes, agree my detailed nuttiness could be used against me in a court of public opinion. :help:

Edited by SergeTroy

GSDFan, Nebulous112, thank you both.  The solution was actually probably the combination of both, I'm giving GSDFan the solution simply because that was an option I had never thought to try before (the deletion of the webcache folder).  What the final resolution was - insofar as goes the lynch-pin of it - truly slapped me in the face: It wasn't that I had to just login / access the Nexus Network through the Mod Organizer 'Globe' icon, I had to actually download  a mod, and (possibly unnecessary) install it through that connection.  When I saw in the window, 'retrieving credentials,' and 'user is premium,' as well as the logged in user name on the (lost-the-right-word) Window Header, I could only stop myself from smashing my face into my keyboard because I love this keyboard way too much. 

Thank you both, I need to go watch something really stupid to make myself feel smart again.