How (if possible) to fix CTD's after accidentally Launching through Steam

Drakonas

Question

This is a serious question. I've spent days configuring a STEP Core install, and it was running beautifully and stable. Then I F***ed up and ran the launcher through Steam, because if you run the game through Mod Organizer, Steam places the game's launcher at the top of the list in Steam's recent games.

My MO mod order has not changed, yet now I'm getting CTD's out the wazoo when I load any save file when running the game through MO, and I can't figure out what's causing them. Some Mods have become broken, unrelated to STEP, so I won't ask for help with those out of respect (As an FYI, one time my save file loaded, but seconds later CreatureFramework states an error regarding API problem, and then a CTD immediately after).

I've checked the game cache integrity in Steam. No problems. I've checked my saves, and they are clean. The ini's are loaded from inside Mod Organizer's profiles, so even though the ini's were changed in my Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory, that shouldn't matter, right?

I'm at a loss here, and I really REALLY don't want to spend another 3-4 days redoing an entire profile if I don't have to.

I'm asking for sincere help here, not n00b hate. Please be mature about your answer. Thank you. ;)

-Drakonas

Edited by Drakonas

5 answers to this question

Welcome to STEP, you will never find any n00b hate offered here!

I have to ask a question though because I don't really understand the problem.

What do you mean about:

Then I F***ed up and ran the launcher through Steam, because if you run the game through Mod Organizer, Steam places the game's launcher at the top of the list in Steam's recent games.

Are you not always using MO to launch the game? Trying to launch your modded game via Steam will never work if you have used MO to manage your mods as they won't be in the 'Data' folder.

This is a serious question. I've spent days configuring a STEP Core install, and it was running beautifully and stable. Then I F***ed up and ran the launcher through Steam, because if you run the game through Mod Organizer, Steam places the game's launcher at the top of the list in Steam's recent games.

Can you clarify this for us? I'm confused here because you should be running skse_loader.exe from Mod Organizer (or TESV.exe if you aren't using SKSE for some reason) so you don't get into Steam at all. I'm not sure how you managed to launch Steam from Mod Organizer.

Can you clarify this for us? I'm confused here because you should be running skse_loader.exe from Mod Organizer (or TESV.exe if you aren't using SKSE for some reason) so you don't get into Steam at all. I'm not sure how you managed to launch Steam from Mod Organizer.

What do you mean about:

Are you not always using MO to launch the game? Trying to launch your modded game via Steam will never work if you have used MO to manage your mods as they won't be in the 'Data' folder.

I normally use MO to launch the game. I meant that I accidentally opened the launcher through Steam a few days ago, and now when I run the game through MO, the game CTD's after loading a saved game.

My loadorder hasn't changed, but here it is anyways: https://pastebin.com/69fcVUzH

EDIT: Well, I just tried to open a slightly older save, and that one loaded. I've been running into save corruption issues now and again, but I usually can just load a save file a few minutes before and it will load. Sometimes I can shut the game down for a few days, and the same save file I had issues with will finally load. Usually these save problems only produced a "Corrupted save" error, though, and not a CTD. Can anyone guess why this is happening?

Edited by Drakonas

I've moved this to the General section because it is clear from your load order you aren't running a STEP Guided install or is it because you are using MO. The thread you originally posted in is specifically for users running MO AND the STEP modded guide.

Thank you, sir. I said in the OP I wasn't. My bad though, I didn't think the general section was for support. I am running a modified STEP build, yes.

EDIT: Then again, I guess I didn't say that. I thought I mentioned it. My bad.

Edited by Drakonas