The Shadows.

echo451

While looking at YouTube I came across this GamerPoets video. In there is a sample of a change to shadows.

How was that done?

It looks fantastic. Can you actually play the game or is it an FPS sink picture book mode?

Really great set of Videos. I highly recommend them to anyone who may have missed them.

If you mean around 3:00 minutes, that's likely raising the Shadow Map Resolution in skyrimprefs.ini. I find 8192 to be sharp enough without causing much of a drop in FPS. Your computer might be able to handle more.

Setting fShadowDistance lower can also sharpen shadows. Unfortunately it also reduces the distance at which they are drawn, a tradeoff which might be acceptable for you.

Some more info here - https://forum.step-project.com/topic/3758-shadow-optimization/

Using a barebones ENB preset could also help. It includes a few shadow fixes, and an option to slightly sharpen and blur the shadows to reduce the blocky effect you get at lower resolutions.

Edited by Sydney
  • +1 1

Thanks.

I have avoided ENB so far. More that I want everything else working before I worry too much about eye candy.

Things so far that I have found useful. 

fShadowBiasScale=0.15

This is the default. Changing this to 0.800 seems to clean up the shadows around a person's neck.

This is the default that my system generates.

Scene fShadowBiasScale=0.15

With a little tuning.

Scene fShadowBiasScale=0.80

iShadowMapResolution = 4096

Bumping this to the next higher setting dropped my FPS for my test scene from 54 to 26. Cost is a bit too high.

It helped to remove some of the blockyness of the ground shadows.

Thanks for the links phazer11 and Sydney. Very useful information.

Hopefully I can configure something that I can play and like and a set for picture book mode.