Import mod order from other profile but keep installed mods the same?

kebab4tw

Question

Hello.

I recently created a new profile on Mod Organizer and sorted my mod order (not load order) so it was neat and in the correct order. I was just wondering if it were possible to import that mod order to one of my earlier profiles, except keep the same mods on that earlier profile installed.

Cheers.

4 answers to this question

No, the copy profile will copy all that information to a new profile for you. If you already have a new profile created then copy loadorder.txt, modlist.txt and plugins.txt from the old profile to the new one. Shut down MO first before you do this to be safe.

Thank you for the reply.

I was actually wondering if there was a way to copy the modlist.txt file to an older profile without copying the information of what mods are installed.

For example, I have my original profile I played a fair while ago. I created a new profile and a new game and installed many new mods. I sorted the mod list on that new profile and I like the way it is. However, now when I go back to my old profile, all the new mods are all unsorted and at the bottom of the list. I want to know if there is a way to import the order of the mods without ruining what mods I already have activated on the old profile. It will just save me a bit of time reordering the modlist on my old profile, if it can be done.

Cheers.

The file 'modlist.txt' is created by MO based on what mods are installed and it is different in various profiles in two ways.

1. The order those mods are listed. This is what you have already seen and is the basis of your opening question
  2. The actual mods installed by MO

This second step is important as MO generates a new 'modlist.txt' with ALL installed mods listed if the current file is missing or corrupted in some way.

Short answer, no MO can not show a profile with only installed mods that were installed during that profile.

You can though, and I'm not 100% sure that is what you are asking, copy the 'modlist.txt' from the newest profile back to the older profile so that all the latest order is preserved. The only difference here is it will also show which mods are active or not and it will need to checked to ensure the 'loadorder.txt' matches.

Your best bet, if you think the latest profile is what you want but also want a slightly different set closer to the older one, is to copy this newer profile again and replace the oldest one with this new one.

Keep in mind profiles are just folders with sets of text files that MO reads to generate the mod & plugin lists, they take up very little space and you can make as many of them as you want. Delete them, rename them, copy them. No damage is done to the installed mods or the game files.

Yeah I ended up just copying the modlist.txt from my newer profile to my older one. I had to make sure that my older profile has the correct mods check marked. Since I don't use SkyRe on my older profile but do on my newer one there were a lot of compatibility patches etc. that I had to make sure were disabled, however it wasn't as tedious as I thought it would be. 

Maybe to put in it a way that is easier to understand (I seem to suck at explaining this), I wanted to import the order of priority of the mods into my older profile without having it check mark mods that I didn't play with on that older profile.

Thanks for your help.