Paid STEP/Skyrim Support?

jaydash

Question

First, I apologize if this is posted in an improper place; I post here because this seems to be the most knowledgeable, supportive and involved group of Skyrim players on the net... and I couldn't find anything about this posted before. I further apologize if this very topic is somehow inappropriate. Between my family and my job I simply don't have the time to learn and do everything that seems necessary.  I would much rather play the game -well modded! : )  So, maybe someone who already knows all this could profit?  

In short, I guess I'm looking to contract support for a STEP-centric Skyrim install -mod installation, ini tweaks, nvidia settings, trouble shooting any issues that arise, etc.  I realize there's been a divisive issue lately about paid mods, and people getting paid when using other modder's work, etc. But I'm looking to pay for SUPPORT, and the time in implementing the install. I think this is distinctly different. If not, I apologize, and please simply ignore this post.

I refused to get into Skyrim when it first came out because I knew I'd get caught up in a massive time-sink. But a friend had high praise for the game, and articles all over the web about all the amazing things modders were doing to the game, and I couldn't resist.

I upgraded my HTPC so that it would rip through Skyrim while I reclined on the couch and enjoyed it on a big screen. It's glorious. I LOVE this game. When I first picked it up a couple of years ago I tried adding a bunch of random mods off the Nexus that I found interesting. I [poorly] used an early iteration of the Nexus Mod Manager, didn't really pay attention to conflicts, BOSS, or any of that stuff.  I found myself constantly tweaking and eventually my save games got so jacked up I couldn't stand to play anymore. 

So, I turned to STEP, kinda, a little over a year ago and started over.  I spent a few nights going through the STEP process, trying to follow the instructions, and I even did a little of the TESedit stuff... but to tell the truth it was all a bit much.  I know I missed/skipped a couple of things, and I probably inadvertently messed a few more up. Sure enough, the game got jacked up again, crashing regularly.  I quit in frustration, again.  But I would love a reliable install...

Is this even doable, and how?  Prepped files/directory structures copied onto the hard drive?

Would it be safe?  

A good fee?  $100? $200?

If feasible, maybe we could figure out a way to make it work. Maybe I'm not the only person out there that would be interested?

Edited by jaydash

4 answers to this question

The short answer is no at least not from anyone I would recommend (A staff member or contributor). The long why is...

A.) There have been major improvements since you last tried and now we not only use Mod Organizer but LOOT for managing the mods and sorting the plugins respectively

B.) That's a lot of money to pay someone, and you pretty much never know if you can trust some of the people offering to do such things.

C.) If you don't learn to do it yourself or ask for help in the support section not only will you not know how to solve any issues you find while playing but other users who might have the same issue won't either.

D.) Most people around here don't want money for what they do (at least the staff as far as I'm aware) we're just here to help people get things modded so they can enjoy themselves (though we would of course like more donations to the server costs on the STEP paypal account as several of the staff are paying almost all of the server costs)

I'd refuse your money to be honest. I don't come in here and help others when I can for money. Hell I don't even need plaudits.

And just curious, did you request this on Nexus not long ago as well?

Fair enough! 

And to your question... nope, I don't believe I've ever posted there.

The short answer is no at least not from anyone I would recommend (A staff member or contributor). The long why is...

A.) There have been major improvements since you last tried and now we not only use Mod Organizer but LOOT for managing the mods and sorting the plugins respectively

B.) That's a lot of money to pay someone, and you pretty much never know if you can trust some of the people offering to do such things.

C.) If you don't learn to do it yourself or ask for help in the support section not only will you not know how to solve any issues you find while playing but other users who might have the same issue won't either.

D.) Most people around here don't want money for what they do (at least the staff as far as I'm aware) we're just here to help people get things modded so they can enjoy themselves (though we would of course like more donations to the server costs on the STEP paypal account as several of the staff are paying almost all of the server costs)

Thanks for spelling it out for me... Makes sense -especially the trust issues. Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

For what it's worth, I know all the time and energy everyone puts into this forum is very much appreciated -even by those (like me) who've never posted before to say so... So, thanks.