racemenu goes dark .. world is dark then CTD

DocHammoc

Question

I completed SRLE to the letter testing every so often quite successfully .. until the last push to complete, circle back and get updates, config, etc.

I had trouble with ENB and also DynDOLOD but fixed both by carefully reinstall and recreate dynamic patches, etc.

Now in Racemenu (usually when I start changing Skin Tone slider) the game goes "dark".

j270k3D.jpg

Exiting to the main menu or using the bed does not revert back.  Things get worse in a hurry and game CTD.

Restarting the game *does* fix the game but only for a short while.

Any ideas?

*edit*

I tried "skipping" the racemenu and using the bed directly.  Seems to be okay.  I configured all of MCM okay and then showracemenu.  Again "darkness" ... 

Also happens at random (within 30 minutes) followed by CTD.

Edited by DocHammoc

6 answers to this question

Interesting, I've never had an issue like this appear with my setup.

I would try perhaps making sure the following:

1. Memory Patch Is Working. (Use Memory Blocks Log To Check)

2. ENBoost Is Working.

3. Check Your VRAM Use. (Perhaps your video card isn't up for all the high res texture load?)

I'm running triple monitors with SoftTH which adds some challenge.  I have a 2GB 680 EVGA Hydro Copper which is a bit light on memory for this.  I've had to reduce resolution from 5372x1622  to 2686x811 (with bezel compensation).  I get about 30 fps.

Memory patch and ENBoost is working last time I checked.  I'll double check.  I've also reduced DynDOLOD to medium.

I was able to follow the guide without issues through 4.7 People and seemed to work okay the bit I tested.  It's only the final push till the end that I started having issues .. after i was all done.  Frustrating!

I'll have to disable plugins from bottom up and see if I can get problem to go away.  Or start disabling installed mods in same manner till I get back a stable game.  Tedious but I've come this far ...

BTW:  It's not *all* textures that go "dark".  Just most of them.  The eyes are probably okay as is some of the world.  The rest of the character is dark.  Also smoke and fog become large floating "dark blocks" .. like texture is gone.  Not sure what would cause this but suspect something late in SRLE and significant like Frostfall conflict or dynamic like Real Shelter.

Edited by DocHammoc

BTW:  It's not *all* textures that go "dark".  Just most of them.  The eyes are probably okay as is some of the world.  The rest of the character is dark.  Also smoke and fog become large floating "dark blocks" .. like texture is gone.  Not sure what would cause this but suspect something late in SRLE and significant like Frostfall conflict or dynamic like Real Shelter.

double check enboost, this sounds like someone that isnt using it. 

When the vram maxes without it, the black texture nonsense happens at least it did for me when I was using my 6970

I'm back.  Can't stay away forever :-).  I started over installing SRLE updating as I went.  I of course am testing as i go also.

My test is to always start a new game, play with racemenu then alternate start "Came by ship .. Solitude".  (It's the first on the Alt Start menu).  Then I run around trying things.  If it fails I try the same steps to see if I can make it fail again.

So with only half the mods loaded (no dynamic patches yet) I can usually get the game to fail usually within and hour and usually with black textures.  I was able to consistently get it to fail on "showracemenu" but now it's less frequent.

I checked that the SKSE memory patch was working with "memory blocks log".

logging of blocks enabled
logging max values only

Timer disabled
Block1 Block2
512MB 256MB

I also verified ENBBoost ini tweaks installed (as part of Vividian ENB).

enblocal.ini (just changes listed)

[ANTIALIASING]

EnableEdgeAA=true

EnableSubPixelAA=true

[ENGINE]

EnableVSync=true
[Fix]
FixParallaxTerrain=true
[MEMORY]
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReservedMemorySizeMb=64
VideoMemorySizeMb=2048
[PERFORMANCE]
EnableOcclusionCulling=false
[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=true
ProxyLibrary=d3d9_softTH.dll

And of course bFloatPointRenderTarget=1 .. but I use the Ini Tweak feature in MO for this .. kind of nice but hard to tell if it's working sometimes. I also have INI Tweaks for all the other SRLE recommended skyrim and skyrimpref values.

Notice the PROXY settings in enblocal.ini . This is for SoftTH since I have three monitors (of unequal resolution).

I'm running Win7-64bit, ASUS Extreme II - X58 (12 GB system ram) and an Nividia 680 gpu (2GB vram). I've scaled the resolution back (in SoftTH settings) to 1/4 native pixels .. just 2686x811 (with bezel compensation).

I've wondered about and experimented some with the ReservedMemorySizeMb and VideoMemorySizeMb in enblocal. I've read that you can set VideoMemorySizeMb to size of "system ram" for example.

I'm monitoring VRAM usage and FPS (with FRAPS, AIDA64 Extreme, and a Logitech G19 LCD keyboard) and can see VRAM Dedicated+Dynamic is hitting near the max 2k MB and GPU Usage 99% .. but averaging around 30 FPS.

Really suspicious of memory related issues but not sure how to verify further or what to try next!

Edited by DocHammoc

Based on the guide (thanks a zillion!) I set

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false

ReservedMemorySizeMb=128

VideoMemorySizeMb=3926

Time will tell if it helps.

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false