Question regarding Bethesda Hi Res DLC Textures

aaltair

Question

Recently in a discussion on a mod page a comment was made saying that the bethesda hi res dlc should not be used alongside skyrim hd2k as it causes memory problems. The discussion suggested that the entirety of the bethesda hi res textures were getting loaded in along with all the rest. This seems like nonsense to me, though I suppose possible if you're not using Mod Organizer it's possible. But I suppose, since it's in your data folder on launch it could be loading up the whole dlc? MO bypasses all that though, yes? Anyway it's bugging me so I thought I would ask here to get an expert opinion :) 

2 answers to this question

If there are resource conflicts (e.g., textures) only one file is loaded into memory. Skyrim can pull files from BSAs that it needs. If there is a conflict between the same file in two BSAs, or even the same file with one in a BSA and one as a loose file Skyrim will still only load one version of the file into memory.