Very unstable game

Kampher

Question

Hello there,

First, let me just start off by saying thank you for making such an in-depth mod pack. It really brings Skyrim to the next level.

After spending about 2 full days following the guide, my game is incredibly unstable. I'm not sure if I have a load order problem (I've used BUM to sort out all of the rules as explained in the guide), yet when loading new cells or when a lot of AI are spawning, the game will either freeze my whole PC or just crash to desktop.

I'm using ENB settings that make sense for my rig:

GTX 770 4GB Ram

Core i5 3570k

8GB Ram

128 GB SSD

I've also run all of the necessary patchers correctly (SUM, Bash Patch, RSPatch)

I have had a lot of trouble learning how to do conflict resolution with TES5edit correctly, so I ended up just using the pre-made patch.

Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

Here is my load order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Falskaar.esm
Wyrmstooth.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
EFFCore.esm
RSkyrimChildren.esm
DSAMG - Miraak Music Fixes.esp
RelightingSkyrim-FULL.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
Chesko_Frostfall.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
AOS.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
MintyLightningMod_COT_Patch.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
SMIM-Merged-All.esp
TradeBarter.esp
AshRocks.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
Bring Out Your Dead.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
EpisodeParallax.esp
Immersive Patrols II.esp
Moss Rocks_DB.esp
MoonGlow.esp
NPC Knockout Overhaul.esp
Point The Way.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.esp
SDO Full-LOD - The Morthal Swamp Light.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
High Level Enemies - SIC.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
WetandCold - Holidays.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
RaceMenuPluginXPMSE.esp
towConversation.esp
UIExtensions.esp
SkyUI.esp
AHZmoreHUD.esp
Extended UI.esp
iHUD.esp
PreventsAccidentPickUp.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
imp_helm_legend.esp
NightingaleArrows.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
Cloaks.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
1nivWICCloaksCRAFT.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
DSAMG - Greybeard Fix.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
OBIS.esp
OBISDB.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
SkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.esp
Book Covers Skyrim.esp
Book Covers Skyrim - Lost Library.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
GuardAnimationsGDO.esp
Paralyze.esp
SkyFalls Dragonborn Small waterfalls.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-DG-DB-Immersive Creatures EBT Patch.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dragonborn.esp
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp
BFT Ships and Carriages.esp
Provincial Courier Service.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
RealShelter.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp
AOS2_CoT3_1_patch.esp
Vividian ENB.esp
Better Vampires.esp
Brevi_MoonlightTales.esp
BFSEffects.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
VioLens.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation Merged.esp
Beards.esp
Brows.esp
NB-Scars.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
The Eyes Of Beauty - Elves Edition.esp
RBB - Row Boats - Hearthfire Hotfix.esp
EFFDialogue.esp
Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp
FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
RBB - Travel Merge.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
Atlas Legendary.esp
Atlas Compass Tweaks.esp
CCO_SIC_Patch.esp
CCO_Frostfall_Patch.esp
WAF_CCF_SIC Patch.esp
ELE_Legendary_Fs_Wt_Lite.esp
SR Conflict Resolution.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
RSPatch.esp
ASIS-Dependency.esp
ASIS.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

13 answers to this question

Did you create a SKSE.ini file in ..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\.. ?

Content of the SKSE.ini should be:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048
  • +1 1

Did you create a SKSE.ini file in ..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\.. ?

Thanks for this, I installed SKSE1.07.02 and forgot all about it. I was experiencing unstable performance also. Going to test in a little bit.

Content of the SKSE.ini should be:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

This is not entirely correct. Only the 3 SKSE binaries should go into ones actual Skyrim folder (..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\). The other directory should be in your mods folder where the remainder of SKSE was installed "..\MO\mods\Skyrim Script Extender\" or whatever you called SKSE when it was installed with MO.  In that directory your should create a SKSE folder and create/place the SKSE.ini file. So it should look like this: "..\MO\mods\Skyrim Script Extender\SKSE\SKSE.ini".

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

This is not entirely correct. Only the 3 SKSE binaries should go into ones actual Skyrim folder (..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\). The other directory should be in your mods folder where the remainder of SKSE was installed "..\MO\mods\Skyrim Script Extender\" or whatever you called SKSE when it was installed with MO.  In that directory your should create a SKSE folder and create/place the SKSE.ini file. So it should look like this: "..\MO\mods\Skyrim Script Extender\SKSE\SKSE.ini".

I've done this correctly. SKSE.ini is in the folder as specified. 

Run Bash and check that all your mods are shown as green. But at first glance I see nothing out of the ordinary.

There are two mods mods that Bash show as Orange (Masters have been re-ordered)

Asis.esp

RaceMenuPlugin.XPMSE

Also, could my ENBlocal settings be incorrect?

I have it set as:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=true
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=3968
EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

You should probably post your full ENBlocal.ini, but based on what you are showing:

VideoMemorySizeMb=3968 should be 4096 because your card has 4GB of VRAM.

ReservedMemorySizeMb=512 is tricky because it is system dependent. It can be 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024. Lower is better, but should be raised if you experience stuttering especially when turning 360 degrees.

Since you posted in the SR:LE forum, follow Neovalen's lead:

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#ENB_Series_Graphics_Modification

I had to scale back some of the texture mods and followed some of the ddsopt stuff in this guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/Pack:Guide_to_Run_SRLE_with_REGS_on_Medium_Systems

Basically with a default SRLE install I was seeing 3.6gb+ of VRAM useage, stuttering, and some really long load times -- with all manner of enblocal.ini adjustments and a validated SKSE memory fix via Sheson's memory blocks plugin. 

I would go into TES5Edit and sort masters on your two orange .esp files as well.

Edited by Azum

I had to scale back some of the texture mods and followed some of the ddsopt stuff in this guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/Pack:Guide_to_Run_SRLE_with_REGS_on_Medium_Systems

Basically with a default SRLE install I was seeing 3.6gb+ of VRAM useage, stuttering, and some really long load times -- with all manner of enblocal.ini adjustments and a validated SKSE memory fix via Sheson's memory blocks plugin. 

I would go into TES5Edit and sort masters on your two orange .esp files as well.

Luckily, I think my card has been able to handle the VRAM requirments. I get no stuttering, and FPS is almost always above 50+FPS. 

Maybe I'm just really unlucky with stability. I'll keep trying to see if I've done anything wrong, or if there are any other tweaks I can do to try and resolve this.

You should probably post your full ENBlocal.ini, but based on what you are showing:

VideoMemorySizeMb=3968 should be 4096 because your card has 4GB of VRAM.

ReservedMemorySizeMb=512 is tricky because it is system dependent. It can be 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024. Lower is better, but should be raised if you experience stuttering especially when turning 360 degrees.

Since you posted in the SR:LE forum, follow Neovalen's lead:

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#ENB_Series_Graphics_Modification

I'll keep messing with things, and try lowering the MemorySizeMB to 256 and see if that helps.

All of my crashes seem to mainly happen when loading a cell with a lot of NPC's. I wonder if something is going on with immersive patrols, OBIS, etc.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you again for the kind help you gave in trying to lock down my issues.

I believe my freezing was due to a VRAM issue. I found a thread from a gentlemen that has a setup very similar to mine who was crashing and freezing often, and found that his VRAM was actually being pushed to the limit (Even with the same GTX 777 4GB card.)

Furthermore, I discovered the SKSE's memory patch was not working. I needed to add the -forcesteamloader to the arguments section of the executable tab.

I'm happy to say I've only crashed once when entering a random fort, and that was after well over an hour of play. Everything seems to be running smooth as butter.

Maybe I'll try adding some REGS to my setup now that I seem to have things under control....

SkyUI.esp - I usually put this near the top, because their are a lot of mods that rely on it.

Dual Sheath Redux.esp - I don't know about anybody else, but I never seem to have any luck with this one. It doesn't seem to want to play well with others, except what it was designed to play with. Also, this needs XP32 Maximum Skeleton (Recommended) or other skeleton which supports left hand weapon, shield on back, and staff on back nodes.

EnhancedLightsandFX.esp and ELFX - Exteriors.esp may not be playing well with:

ClimatesOfTamriel.esm AND RelightingSkyrim-FULL

They all manipulate the lighting and are probably conflicting with each other. Do a little research between all three of them to find out what their compatibilities are (or are not). CoT and ELFX may have some patches to help tie them together. But, I believe Relighting Skyrim specifies that it conflicts with ELFX, and possibly CoT

This might not destabilize things, but you might want to put "Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp" after "Cloaks.esp and Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp"

If I remember correctly, I think it's suggested to have "Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp" towards the end of the load order.

Might investigate compatibility between "EFF" and "Follower Commentary Overhaul"

Another potential problem - "Enhanced Lighting FX, Climates Of Tamriel, and  are going to conflict. All three want to control the lighting. Try using one at a time, then maybe combining two. And if that will run stable, then try the third. I believe ELFX and CoT have a patch to allow them to work together, if you use only the basic options of CoT (I believe).

A good rule of thumb is that if two or more mods modify the same, or similar aspects of the game, research them closely to see if they can be run together. They may not specify whether their compatible with other specific mods, but they'll usually indicate whether they may, or may not be compatible with other mods of a similar nature. A couple of the lighting mods specify that they should NOT be used with other lighting mods.

One final note about TES5Edit. If you've used it for simple cleaning, try running the cleaning load with all the mods in the list, checkmarked for reading. If there is a conflict, it will stop running when it hits the conflict, with a message telling you what is missing.

Others in this forum may know more about what I'm referring to and could clarify the exact instructions.

Anyway, these were some things that I recognize as having questionable compatibility.

Hope this gives you some helpful directions to look.

Ewookie1

Hi Everyone,

Thank you again for the kind help you gave in trying to lock down my issues.

I believe my freezing was due to a VRAM issue. I found a thread from a gentlemen that has a setup very similar to mine who was crashing and freezing often, and found that his VRAM was actually being pushed to the limit (Even with the same GTX 777 4GB card.)

Is the GTX 777 card, one of those dual GPU cards. In other words, two GPU's on one card?

If so, that 4GB is actually split between the two GPUs, supplying only 2GB to "each" GPU. I'm not familiar with the 777, but I had read about another card that had 2 GPU's and 4GB, but it was actually two individual GPUs with 2GBs each on one card, running as an SLI setup (built into the card).

SkyUI.esp - I usually put this near the top, because their are a lot of mods that rely on it.

Dual Sheath Redux.esp - I don't know about anybody else, but I never seem to have any luck with this one. It doesn't seem to want to play well with others, except what it was designed to play with. Also, this needs XP32 Maximum Skeleton (Recommended) or other skeleton which supports left hand weapon, shield on back, and staff on back nodes.

EnhancedLightsandFX.esp and ELFX - Exteriors.esp may not be playing well with:

ClimatesOfTamriel.esm AND RelightingSkyrim-FULL

They all manipulate the lighting and are probably conflicting with each other. Do a little research between all three of them to find out what their compatibilities are (or are not). CoT and ELFX may have some patches to help tie them together. But, I believe Relighting Skyrim specifies that it conflicts with ELFX, and possibly CoT

This might not destabilize things, but you might want to put "Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp" after "Cloaks.esp and Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp"

If I remember correctly, I think it's suggested to have "Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp" towards the end of the load order.

Might investigate compatibility between "EFF" and "Follower Commentary Overhaul"

Another potential problem - "Enhanced Lighting FX, Climates Of Tamriel, and are going to conflict. All three want to control the lighting. Try using one at a time, then maybe combining two. And if that will run stable, then try the third. I believe ELFX and CoT have a patch to allow them to work together, if you use only the basic options of CoT (I believe).

A good rule of thumb is that if two or more mods modify the same, or similar aspects of the game, research them closely to see if they can be run together. They may not specify whether their compatible with other specific mods, but they'll usually indicate whether they may, or may not be compatible with other mods of a similar nature. A couple of the lighting mods specify that they should NOT be used with other lighting mods.

One final note about TES5Edit. If you've used it for simple cleaning, try running the cleaning load with all the mods in the list, checkmarked for reading. If there is a conflict, it will stop running when it hits the conflict, with a message telling you what is missing.

Others in this forum may know more about what I'm referring to and could clarify the exact instructions.

Anyway, these were some things that I recognize as having questionable compatibility.

Hope this gives you some helpful directions to look.

Ewookie1

All taken account for in the guide, and half of the text here is flat wrong as it pertains to SRLE.
  • +1 1