MO crashes when I try to make a shortcut, executables not found after I close MO once...

CapgrasDelusion

Question

Ok, I searched and couldn't find anything like what I'm experiencing. I just built a new rig and figured I'd switch to MO since I had to reinstall skyrim anyway. I installed MO to my skyrim folder (ran the installer as administrator, set MO and SKSE to run as admin), installed my mods, ran SKSE through mod organizer and everything worked great. Closed it, went to bed, tried to create a shortcut to SKSE on the desktop using the button in MO, and MO crashed. Reloaded it, tried to just run SKSE "Executable "" Not Found". Googled that, found a guy on Reddit who had the same problem two days ago and said deleting the MO.ini file fixed it. Did that and sure enough I could run executables again. But it only fixes it that first run. As soon as I try to run it again, I can no longer run executables. Essentially I have to delete MO.ini every time. I'm at a total loss and would love any help.

I'm on windows 64, here's my specs: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:CapgrasDelusion/SystemSpecs

11 answers to this question

Well... I was actually running 1.3.2. So I installed 1.3.3 and while it no longer crashes when trying to create the shortcut, the shortcut fails with "Access Denied [5]". I remember seeing that in a thread somewhere else so I'll chase that down. But it did nothing to fix the MO.ini issue. I still can't run any executables from mod organizer unless I delete the ini file every time. No change there with 1.3.3.

EDIT: I'm guessing this is a permissions issue, since that seems to be a common thread among MO errors. UAC is disabled, everything is set to run as admin, all folders and files set to full permissions... I give up. Is there any easy way at all for me to move my steam install (and mod organizer by extension, since it's in my skyrim directory) out of c:\Program files (x86)\ without having to redo all the work I did? Took me all afternoon to reinstall all my mods in MO, but at this point I'm willing to do it.

Edited by CapgrasDelusion

Access denial is indicating another process has priority over the executable and it can't relinquish it to MO. Can you post your settings and your ModOrganizer.ini in spoiler tags?

Some other process must be interfering, are you using any AV packages?

The shortcuts that MO create are the same as those you can create manually. Can you create one with this in the 'Target' field

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\ModOrganizer.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\skse_loader.exe" -forcesteamloader

Change the paths to point to the locations specific to your system and see if the access denied error results.

• +1 2

GrantSP: Your shortcut works. It loads skyrim through MO with all mods working as far as I can tell in 5 seconds of testing. So at least my wife can easily load skyrim from a desktop icon, which is my main goal. Thank you very much.

Nozzer66: Thanks, ha! The above still doesn't fix my being unable to run executables within MO without deleting the ini file every time, so I'll probably still move everything at some point since it makes it difficult to run LOOT. Thank you very much for the link.

EDIT: So, I actually don't know how to do spoiler tags. I'm kind of an idiot. Here's a pastebin link to my ini file: https://pastebin.com/gG9SFtAT Oh, and Microsoft Security Essentials is my AV. I'll try disabling that when I get a chance.

Edited by CapgrasDelusion