First timer.... From a STEP Extended setup on.... how ?

STB_Caos

Question

First of all, thank you Neovalen for the valiant effort you put into everything around here...

I've always played my modded Skyrim starting with a functional STEP setup and then adding many other mods (Skyre, Monster mod, SIC, Revenge of the enemies, OBIS, etc are some of my favourites)

I'm not a fan of mods which heavily alter quests, settlements and NPCs, so I've always been almost "safe" from conflicting stuff... I love to play as a solitary PC, anyway, because I HATE companions, and that kept me away from problems too.

Now I would try to add blend most of the mods listed in SRLE into a functional STEP Extended setup... I know I'll have to reinstall many mods using different options, modify the install order of others and so on.

At the moment, my questions are:

-  should I remove the STEP Extended Patch and revert to a setup including all the single patches it replaces ? or maybe It's safe to keep the mega-patch and simply add the other mods ? 

-  should I install the mods from SRLE into the corresponding sections of the STEP Guide, trying to blend them in the right order (praying for not interfering with the STEP patch) or should I install them after the STEP ones and after the patch ?

Textures and meshes are quite easy to place as it is for those mods which are an alternative or an extension to the STEP ones ... but many mods which alter gameplay or add new items/places/NPCs are not easy to place.

-  Is there any mod from STEP I should absolutely remove ?

-  I cannot/don't want to use anything relying on ENB..... is that a problem ?

4 answers to this question

Why not just make a new SRLE profile in MO by copying the STEP Extended one. Then all you'd need to do is add and subtract from STEP Extended to SRLE (or your personal choices) and maybe change a few options.

Have your cake and eat it that way.

If you did do that then yes you'd remove the STEP Extended patch and use the SRLE Conflict Res patch, either the premade one Neo links to, or by following Neo's guide for making your own.

That's assuming your hybrid setup followed SRLE pretty much fully. If not then you may need to do some of your own conflict resolutions. *That's pretty much what I do. I'm essentially SRLE plus a few things like Perma, Ogmund's Tomb etc*

ENB wise SRLE does recommend one, but you could probably get away with just using ENBoost for the memory stuff. I wouldn't try and play modded Skyrim without that.

• +1 1

Why not just make a new SRLE profile in MO by copying the STEP Extended one. Then all you'd need to do is add and subtract from STEP Extended to SRLE (or your personal choices) and maybe change a few options.

Have your cake and eat it that way.

If you did do that then yes you'd remove the STEP Extended patch and use the SRLE Conflict Res patch, either the premade one Neo links to, or by following Neo's guide for making your own.

That's assuming your hybrid setup followed SRLE pretty much fully. If not then you may need to do some of your own conflict resolutions. *That's pretty much what I do. I'm essentially SRLE plus a few things like Perma, Ogmund's Tomb etc*

ENB wise SRLE does recommend one, but you could probably get away with just using ENBoost for the memory stuff. I wouldn't try and play modded Skyrim without that.

Thank you for the reply.

I always go that way, indeed: I made a backup of the working STEP EXT setup (I'm quite paranoid about backups), cloned the profile and now I'm starting to mod over that...

my question was if the STEP Patch would help or damage an hybrid setup: as it helps to make things run fine all together, and given that I will only ADD the few mods from SRLE that are not already in EXT, and change a few install order and options from some of the other ones....  could/should I keep the STEP Patch?

Well, you'd have to play that a little by ear. It would depend on what you're adding and subtracting. SRLE provides a patch as well. That may work better. If you feel confident enough, you may choose not to use either and make your own conflict fix patch, as well.

But to answer your query... The Extended patch wont cause any damage or issue. It's just more a question, will it solve every issue? The answer there is 'probably not' so like I say above, you may either have to do some of your own conflict resolution or see if the provided SRLE patch works better. :)

Hope that all helps. :)

Edited by Nozzer66
  • +1 1

But to answer your query... The Extended patch wont cause any damage or issue. It's just more a question, will it solve every issue? The answer there is 'probably not' so like I say above, you may either have to do some of your own conflict resolution or see if the provided SRLE patch works better. :)

Hope that all helps. :)

Well, it will help, thank you... herr... maybe it won't, but it will eventually push me to the next step:

you know, I've always enjoyed modding, meaning "installing" mods and making them work all together by configuring, applying other's patches, etc....

I'm not scared about using DDSopt, TESVedit and all of those tools, and I can even manage to make simple modifications to scripts, if someone points me to the right piece of code, as I used to be a java programmer... 

However, I've always achieved that following guides and suggestions... I'm able to deduce missing informations or to adapt the instructions to fit my needs, but nothing more than that..

I think it's time to learn how to use the CK and TESV5 to do my own debugging....