TES5Edit and Merging

rekindledflame

Question

I recently had a hard drive fail which meant basically a fresh install of SR:LE, but considering I hadn't updated anything in awhile and a lot has changed I'm looking forward to it.  However, very early on I've run into a problem with TES5Edit.  The version in the guide, the 3.0.33r1879 experimental simply isn't working for me.  When I merge mod's (first merge being CoT) everything goes smoothly, X out, making sure the CoT-WeatherPatch.esp is checked, however when I look in my overwrite, there is nothing there.  

Instead MO gives a warning failed to assign to job object: 5.  So I figured something must have went wrong somewhere, as the .esp was not showing anywhere in MO or even BOSS, but when I load up TES5edit, it still shows the weather patch, although it's not activated.  After scratching my head trying to find this ghost patch (didn't show in any of the MO folders or profile ini's, nor any Skyrim directory) I decided to re-install MO, but to no avail.

Long story short, I deleted the version of TES5edit listed on the guide and installed the 3.0.32 version off the Nexus and not only was the CoT-WeatherPatch.esp not listed with it (thankfully), when I merged with this version  I found the patch in the overwrite as expected.  So since I can not get the other version to work, I have basically two questions.  1) Is there any reason I should not use the Nexus version as I'm currently doing and if it's not optimal 2) any idea's on what the problem may be?

Edited by rekindledflame

5 answers to this question

Are you saying it is TES5Edit version 3.0.33 that is giving you grief or is it the Merge Script? Although it isn't difficult, a lot of users seem to have difficulty installing that mod correctly.

The differences between 3.0.32 and 3.0.33 shouldn't really be making the errors you are describing, what other details about your setup can you provide?

It's 3.0.33 I believe and not the merging script.  The reason I say this, is because when I clean/back up the Vanilla ESM's it also does not move them to the Overwrite folder and that's more or less the issue.  Merging works fine, cleaning works fine, but back up's/merged plug in's aren't being moved to overwrite, but despite this they are still shown in the list in TES5Edit, but no where else, that I have been able to find.  I'm not sure what you mean by details about my setup.  After installing Skyrim on my new hard drive, I followed SR:LE right to Climates of Tamriel before switching to 3.0.32 and and merged the files with it and it forwarded everything to the Overwrite as expected.

Edited by rekindledflame

When you make your edits and quit xEdit you get presented with the 'Save dialog', do you have the 'Backup plugins' checkbox selected? You should.

Additionally, the later versions of MO place the newly edited plugins back into the mods they are from and only the backups are placed in a backup folder. It might be the case that those Backup folders are now found in the mods themselves if you haven't correctly set them.

Open MO and in the Filetree of the Information window check one of the edited mods to see if a TES5Edit Backups folder exists.

When you run LOOT, does it show your cleaned ESMs as 'clean'? If so then that is the behaviour I am describing. The original file is replaced with the cleaned one and since you haven't set xEdit to use the 'Backup folder' there should be on your system files with the extension like this:

Update.esm.backup.2015_01_26_14_46_06 this extension shows when you made this edit. Year_month_day_hour(24hr time)_minute_second