How does M.O handle multiple textures?

DiabolicalHamSandwich

Question

I know there are guides, and videos with this information and as we speak I have both Poets and Gophers vids open (went through both so I'm sure I heard the answer) along with the S.T.E.P pages but at this point I think I have had a mod overload and small mental break and all the words are blurring....hell idk if I'm even posting this in the right place. I'm newish to modding so forgive me because nexus overwhelmed me badly. M.O is suppose to be more advanced but I moved from NMM because I hate having a bloated folder and having to fully re download when something goes wrong. So far all mods have worked but when something doesn't I just completely start over. I want to start with making Skyrim look better 1st vs the character mods and do those later. I'm sorry if I'm bothering anyone but idk I just need simple clarity atm...

3 answers to this question

What are you trying to ask exactly?

I THINK what you're asking is how does MO deal with several mods that provide textures to the same thing?

If that's what you mean then it's simple, last one installed wins. However in MO, you have the ability to HIDE certain files. 

So if you have 3 mods (ABC) that provide a texture to the same object say X. If C is installed last it will win.

However, if you decide you like C's textures for water, B's textures for stones and A's for wood, you can go to the file tree and hide anything that MO is telling you is overwriting what you want to 'win'. You'd go into A and hide anything not pertaining to wood. Then go to B and hide it's wood textures. You could hide its water textures as well if you wished, but C will overwrite them anyway. You'd then go to C and hide its wood and stone textures.

That way you have A's wood textures, B's stones textures and C's water textures.

Is that sort of what you were after?

Edited by Nozzer66

I think this is the MO feature that puts it head and shoulders above NMM. The fact that file overwrite is "soft" since it's a matter of load order, not install order, which makes it possible to switch things around if you see any conflicts. You have conflicts via NMM and you installed it wrong, you're gonna have a bad time. MO and something is wrong, nope, you're fine.