Freezing on New Game Load after step 2G

kechlion

Question

Greetings everyone.

I'm doing a run of my first STEP install and it was going great up until I went to launch the game after STEP 2G. I popped in Whiterun Trellis and started the game up, hit New, and it freezes part way through the load screen before the cart ride even begins and it pulls a 'This program has stopped responding' window. I have Papyrus logging on but it hasn't generated a log file. The only other thing I have logged is some GPUz stuff that shows my GPU processor just clocking out right at the crash. I'll attach that log to this post.

Another issue is that Mod Organizer takes a long time to load. Like, it's taken so long that I just assumed it wasn't working. Now I see that it takes between 1-5 minutes to load. Is this normal behavior?

PC Specs:

i7-5930k

16GB DDR4

GTX 980

Samsung 850 Raid0 - Skyrim install

Standard HDD - Everything else

Thanks very much for any help you can give. I'm going through my pre-STEP process currently of just disabling mods one at a time to see if I can find it that way.

Edit update 1 - I tried disabling every mod except the base game and the problem persists, so it must be one of the textures I installed within 2G. Will try backing out each step of 2G to see if I can get it to work.

Edit update 2 - I removed all mods in 2G up to 'Improved Vanilla Mountains' and it's working now. Later on I'll be working my way down the list and see if I can isolate which mod is the bugbear.

Edit update 3 - Apparently that was a false alert, this morning when I went back to it still freezes part way through the loading screen. I tried loading another saved game to see if it was something about the opening but it did the exact same thing.

Edit update 4 - After going back through and looking at some of the ini settings, I removed the ENB setting for forcing full screen windowed borderless (which is how every game should play IMO) and that fixed the problem. I get consistant loads into the cart ride at this point, but I'm still working my way through 2G and trying to launch after every couple of mods.

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

Edited by kechlion

6 answers to this question

So I got everything installed to the end of 2G and got it launching, so I believe the problem lies in using ENB to force borderless windowed mode. I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and deal with not being able to run it like that. Either way, it's currently solved.

As in Mod Organizer itself takes a while to load or launching the game through Mod Organizer does? The latter is not unusual, especially on the first load. Gets quicker after that in my experience anyway. 

Mod Organizer itself takes a long time to load. Not every time, but sometimes it will weirdly hang when I try to get it to download from Nexus so I'll have to restart it and it will take quite a while to load. It also says that there are active downloads whenever I exit, but there aren't actually any.

Edit - I just restarted my machine and it took at least 5 minutes for Mod Organizer to open once I had clicked on it.

Edited by kechlion

Mod Organizer itself takes a long time to load. Not every time, but sometimes it will weirdly hang when I try to get it to download from Nexus so I'll have to restart it and it will take quite a while to load. It also says that there are active downloads whenever I exit, but there aren't actually any.

Edit - I just restarted my machine and it took at least 5 minutes for Mod Organizer to open once I had clicked on it.

You may want to examine whether there are any processes that are hindering file access in the folders MO is loading on start up.

Possibly AV packages or even Windows itself may be checking all those file accesses that are needed for MO to generate the current load of mods you have for that profile. As a test, create a new profile with nothing in it and make that the active one. Exit MO and then re-start MO and compare the times it takes.

You may want to examine whether there are any processes that are hindering file access in the folders MO is loading on start up.

Possibly AV packages or even Windows itself may be checking all those file accesses that are needed for MO to generate the current load of mods you have for that profile. As a test, create a new profile with nothing in it and make that the active one. Exit MO and then re-start MO and compare the times it takes.

I tried that and this time when I was stopping/starting it, MO would start right up with no problems with either profile. The problem now appears to be intermittent. I've been having a few weird quirky problems with MO though, like sometimes it refuses to download from Nexus, like it won't even start the download, while others it works flawlessly.

Edit 1 - Spoke too soon, now it's just sitting there as arunning process but not actually doing anything. It seems to happen every time when MO freaks out about something. For instance, this time apparently steam was closed and when I launch with SKSE and steam is closed, it does open steam but then ENB has like, 40 processes that start up and won't calm down until I kill both it and MO. Then MO takes foreva to start.

Edited by kechlion