A couple questions

My video card is a GTX 660 ti 3GB, do you think I will hit a wall on VRAM if I follow the guide completely?  I'm about half way through, down to the body replacer stuff and when I run the game my vram usage his right about 2gb.

What happened to Automatic Variants?  I used to love that mod but its not in the current list.

I am happy to report that I got everything setup and played for a few hours with no problem, the card run at 90%+ GPU all the time, but the 3GB seems to be enough, and the FPS is completely playable, 40-60 depending on what is going on.  Absolutely amazed at all the work that went into get all these mods to function together.  

I use about 3500 VRAM in the most grueling situation. I imagine if I wasn't using ENBoost it could be lower (ENBoost uses more VRAM). Some people have had success with 3gb cards from my understanding.

Well, this explains why I'm using only 3500 VRAM... son of a b*tch Nvidia. Obviously past the return date so I'm stuck unless Nvidia decides to do something (or a class action suit occurs).

Either way, you've invested a lot of money into their product. I'm hoping they fix this in a way that allows buyers to trust them again. I love nvidia too, but I hope they do the right thing here.

Trouble is, from the article it seems to be a design / hardware thing. So the only way to "fix" it is a full recall or maybe a future discount when its time to upgrade again.

Man there's a LOT of discussion going on about this issue atm. Apparently the last 0,5 gb is a separate section that is accessed at a different (slower) speed? So stuttering occurs when games use more than 3,5gb of VRAM. Some claim their cards don't ever use more than 3,5gb VRAM but then others claim their gpu monitoring software just doesn't 'see' the last 0,5gb. I'm no expert whatsoever but no one seems to be able to tell exactly what is going on. Official response from nVidia:

To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments.

nVidia also included some graphs indicating that it didn't influence 'average FPS' much, but that is obviously masking the impact of potential stutters occuring after reaching the 3,5gb mark. Some Reddit user reported this:

Once more than 3.5GB gets allocated, there is a huge frametime spike. The same scene can be tested to get reproducible results. In 4k, memory usage stays below 3.5GB and there is no extreme spike. But in 5k (4x DSR with 1440p), at the same scene, there is a huge fps drop once the game wants to allocate 2-300MB at once and burst the 3.5GB. It happens in the tutorial mission when encountering the tennis field. With older driver (344.11 instead of 347.09), memory usage is lower, but you can enable MSAA to get high VRAM usage and thus be able to reproduce by 100%.

In skyrim there can be so many sources for stuttering and I've always blamed the skyrim engine and ENBoost for not being able to reach more than 3,5GB VRAM and for stuttering that occured when turning your camera.. but now there's a new possible variable, lol. I already spent so much time tweaking to get the perfect ENBoost memory settings but never quite succeeded >.>

Should it have been advertised as a '3,5+0,5gb VRAM' card? I think people would probably have bought the cards even if they were advertised as 3,5gb ones. Let's assume 3,5gb VRAM versions of the 970 exist, would they perform better because they don't have the stuttering that comes with the last 0,5gb? So would a possible fix just mean putting a limit of 3,5 gb on the current cards, sacrificing the memory to ensure a frametime-spike-free experience. I wonder what will come of this, it's such a popular card.

I fear I'm getting my hopes up now for a fix that will stop all the stutters in Skyrim, a fix that will probably never come, lol.

• 2 weeks later...