Question regarding SKSE MemInfo Plugin..reporting weird numbers.

chasers36

Question

Hello Everyone!

Just started modding Skyrim (yay!) and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before proceeding into the 6+ hour adventure of S.T.E.P. I've completed S.T.E.P. up to point 2D, the ENBoost being the last thing I've installed. I wanted to use Skyrim Performance Monitor to monitor my VRAM usage in Skyrim, but have found that it conflicts with the d3d9.dll file used by ENBoost, so i went with another memory info plugin, but had a question about the numbers its reporting. I have a Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB card and 4GB of RAM, but its stating my VRAM is 4GB. And also, was confused about the PageFile and Memory that its reporting. I've attached a screenshot, can someone give me some insight as to what these numbers mean, and if anything looks incorrect?

post-5928-0-81054300-1421952373_thumb.jpg

Edited by chasers36

5 answers to this question

Looks ok to me. I've used MemInfo before and I don't think it reports poorly.

As to those figures, you've got:

• Meminfo, SKSE & Skyrim version numbers
  • The reported memory for you GPU
  • The current memory usage of your RAM & PageFile
  • and the peak usage of those two elements

I could be wrong, but the difference between your actual GPU memory usage and the reported is because a portion of system RAM is used alongside the GPU RAM. Not 100% sure on that.

At any rate, nothing shown that you need worry about. Curiosity though is a good thing.

VM  is actually the maximum virtual memory. This is taken from the mod's description on Nexus:

VM : The maximum Virtual Memory Skyrim can address.

MEM : The current amount in megabytes of physical memory used by Skyrim.
PF : The current amout in megabytes used by Skyrim in the Windows Pagefile.

MEM PK: The highest value of MEM reached during the session.
PF PK: The highest value of PF reached during the session.

FPS: Frames per Seconds.

You should still be able to use Skyrim Performance Monitor even with ENBoost enabled. In Skyrim Performance Monitor, click Setup, click the Miscellaneous Settings tab, check "Attempt Support for Custom D3D9.dll", and click Save.

You'll also want to change the Skyrim Launcher File Path (in the File Paths tab) to run Mod Organizer instead of TESV or SkyrimLauncher. This way you run Skyrim Performance Monitor, click Launch Skyrim to run Mod Organizer, and then run SKSE in Mod Organizer to play the game.

EDIT: In case it makes any difference I'm using the above with ENBSeries 0.264. I haven't tried this with 0.265 yet.

Edited by Greg

Thank you both for the insightful reply, I did get SPM to work finally with your suggestion, and have found it a little easier to understand than the Mem Info plugin. All this memory configuration stuff is a little over my head, but I think I'm starting to get a good grasp on how ENBoost actually functions and what it does to improve memory allocation, and I just want to make sure that everything is configured correctly so the game runs optimally before i start modding further. I did test a couple ENB presets, including TrueVision, RealVision, and Project ENb, but I feel that the FPS hit is just not worth it. All of them knock my FPS down to 30-35, and that makes the game less than desirable to play. There is definitely a lot of tweaking involved in this process, but I will continue to hold my head high and push forward.   

You might check out Vividian ENB since it has some less-demanding options and comes in Vivid or Vanilla configurations depending on your preference. MangaClub (one of the authors of Vividian ENB and a really nice guy) is also on STEP if you need help with it. You shouldn't have much of a problem with the Radeon R9 280X as long as you don't push it too hard.